Classes, items & attacks in a "magic realistic" game

Fullereno

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Hello people. I'm making a game as present for my friends for the 10th anniversary of my class from University. The game is located in a world based on our campus, and the basic plot is that a secret society has a base in the basement and they are looking forward to get some ancient relic (presumably one per faculty). I need some feedback/ideas/brainstorm in certain topics:

1) Classes and subclasses: Main idea is to be magic style "but keeping it not too fantasy" as if magic would be used as tool and no main instrument in the game. I have this one already quite delimited. I want to give each career a specific class, and if possible a subclass. They would be restricted by each faculty somehow. Few examples: Biology will be rangers and druids (focused on animals, plants, etc), physics will be elemental magic wizards and elemental summoners, medicine will be healing clerics and necromancers, fine arts will be bards,... I need any idea for aditional classes and subclasses you can imagine. Think about any career that can be in a campus of university level (science, arts, letters, cooking school,...) and tell me if you think of a suitable class/subclass. Everything will be welcome.

2) Items: Again, think of anything that can be in a University. Laboratory test tubes as potions, rulers as sword,... There will be actual swords and so, but I want some realistic items be used as weapons and items. Also, there is a cafeteria so regular food is already covered.

3)
Attacks & Magics: In this case, I need a tutorial on how to properly set a damage system in order to not be too OP and not to make ir to difficult. I mean all the formula stuff and so.

Thank you people, you're amazing :)

Last edited:

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Guns are viable as weapons on some universities, unfortunately. Texas passed Campus Carry a little while ago, which permits concealed firearms to be carried by those with licenses for them, be they faculty or students who are over 21 years of age. Fortunately, I finished up grad school there before that law went into effect.

Don't forget Safety Goggles and Lab Coats. They could protect one from Blind Status or reduce damage from acid-type attacks. And of course, Chemists can mix things together like in Final Fantasy.

You can also have a Lecturer class, that can weaken enemies or put them to sleep. Or if they're a good Lecturer, buff allies. Think the Orator from Final Fantasy Tactics.

There are plenty of damage formulae you can use, but you should start by thinking of what sorts of numbers you want your game to have, and design your formulae accordingly.

Fullereno

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Guns are viable as weapons on some universities, unfortunately. Texas passed Campus Carry a little while ago, which permits concealed firearms to be carried by those with licenses for them, be they faculty or students who are over 21 years of age. Fortunately, I finished up grad school there before that law went into effect.

Don't forget Safety Goggles and Lab Coats. They could protect one from Blind Status or reduce damage from acid-type attacks. And of course, Chemists can mix things together like in Final Fantasy.

You can also have a Lecturer class, that can weaken enemies or put them to sleep. Or if they're a good Lecturer, buff allies. Think the Orator from Final Fantasy Tactics.

There are plenty of damage formulae you can use, but you should start by thinking of what sorts of numbers you want your game to have, and design your formulae accordingly.

I liked the Goggles and the Lecturer thing :thumbsup-right:

What do you mean with "what sorts of numbers I want your game to have" Specfic damage?

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Fullereno Just a quick point first - don't quote whole posts. The mods don't like it.

As for the sorts of numbers you want to have... your damage formula will be very different if you want Final-Fantasy like damage (e.g. thousands of HP and damage) or if you want smaller numbers (e.g. a few hundred HP or damage, or even single/double digits like in Paper Mario).

Fullereno

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
I think it will be like in Pokemon: double digits for most attacks (and magics) and triple digits for the powerful ones. I intend to use defence (and resistances if possible)

P.S: Nice username you have, quite appropiate for this topic XDDD

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Fullereno Just a heads up. This section of the forum is not for feedback on individual projects, nor for asking for tutorials. In addition, it seems to me that this is best placed in Game Mechanics Design. I am going to move it there for the discussion on topics (1) and (2), but for (3) I suggest you try out a few things, see where you get stuck and ask specific questions, if you need to, in the Support forum for the engine you are using. You do not specify which it is, and the answers for e.g. Ace and MV might well differ. For the balancing aspect, I suggest you do a forum search in Game Mechanics Design, as there are several threads there discussing balancing questions.

[move]Game Mechanics Design[/move]

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Some ideas:

Computer Science: combines magic with modern techniques such as coding and machinery. sub classes would be Spell Hacker ('hack' into and control/disable other people's magic energies) and Techie (create magic imbued gadgets).

For items, something to consider is gems. In Wicca, gemstones are often refereed to as having magic powers. Amethyst for one (according to google) is healing and protection against negative forces. This could also link into Geology as a subject/class (geomancers?).

For weapons, don't forget these are students, they can surprisingly be creative. Need some fire-power? Off we go to the engineering department to grab that prototype fire-crystal charged flame-thrower. Depends on how much the studies of magic is ingrained into your world and its society. Or is magic believed to not exist as in our own world?

Fullereno

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
@ShadowHawkDragon I like the idea of engineering department being like weapon development. I will use that for sure

L.W. Flouisa

NumeroHex
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is that a reference to magic realism?:D I have nothing else to input. Although I will add that Magic Realism means something different from Historical Fantasy and Urban Fantasy.

Magic in Magic Realism has an entirely different quality from that in Urban Fantasy. In Urban Fantasy, the fantasies is out of place in an otherwise modern day setting. In Magic Realism, the magic is taken for granted as a natural part of the modern world, and is simply a part of the culture.

Compare Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Neil Gaiman.

Last edited:

Fullereno

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Sorry, maybe I haven't explained well. What I wanted to say with all the "magic style but keeping it not too fantasy" thing is that the world will be something like Regular Show: A normal world (despite the animalistic and weird characters), but with fantasy moments.

Lord Semaj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
One way to handle the damage formula is to balance the game around what you consider the average baseline of stats then scale everything into the later game to stay proportional. So if a lvl 1 character has 10 strength and 5 defense, a lvl 10 character might have 20 strength and 10 defense. Or if you're using flat numbers for damage instead of percentage based, you'd try to keep the stats fairly similar (10 str/5 def -> 20 str/15 def) and create weapons/armor that defy the normal convention for min-maxing purposes.

There's really no magic formula though. It depends entirely on what kind of game you're making. If you want easy stats, just copy someone else's math. Get permission first.

Generally you shouldn't worry about balancing the characters. Let them and your weapons/armor be whatever. But then balance the ENEMIES to be a suitable challenge for them based on what gear and levels they have access to at the time. That way you don't need any math! Just make enemies that a lvl 20 guy finds challenging.

Tdotakichan

Friendly Angel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Are there clubs in this game? I was thinking of cosplay people as classes (lol) and chess pieces used as an attack. And then the save points are the chalkboards.

KeroTani

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm working on a project that has Magitech. The people see mana in the same why we see/use nuclear power. It's not really "magic" but it's the way that we understand the world.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just tested latest update (Map transfers, Credits scene etc...) on MV (with RETRO) and everything thing seems to work as intended!
credits.png
Ugh, can't decide what to make next!
The Dystopia
ikW0BYF.png
Recently got RPG Maker MZ. A bit slower with my current PC but I will be getting a new one soon.
evening progress; pretty happy where this is at so i'll take the rest of the night to myself =w=
5NJGyKY.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sograyish