Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi all!

To keep it simple, my character can change classes during the game. I want it so that he is more powerful with different elements, depending on his class.
So, if he is class1, he deals more fire damage, for example.

In the "Features" list of the classes tab, there is "Elemental Rate", but as far as I understand, that affects how much elemental damage that class TAKES, rather than deals. Is there a way to change the amount of elemental damage a class deals generally?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
your understanding of elemental rates is correct.
unfortunately there is no way to do what you like in default.

you can either fake it by giving each class different skills that have the same name but different damage, or you'll need a script to add a property for dealing damage to the game.

scripts like that have existed, but a lot of the old sites are down. I think tsukihime's damage scripts might include that option, and they're still available on himeworks.com

gsuk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into a script then.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
tsukihime's damage scripts might include that option
The script I have from Tsukihime are for modifying the damage of weapons and skills.
@TheoAllen has a Elemental Attack Modifier script, but I don't know if it can be applied to the class.
Dekita has an Elemental Control script that does offer notetags for Classes.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Attachments

• TheoAllen - Elemental Attack Modifier.rb
    4.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Interesting, that must come from my old blog.
I will add it to my script collection. Although I don't like how it is written.
To answer the actual question tho, no. Classes are not affected.

gsuk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Roninator2 thanks again for your help – you always answer my questions here!

Tsukihime's script (as far as I can tell) only allows me to set the elemental damage TYPE for a class. So, if I notetag one of my classes to make it, say, 300% Fire elemental damage, that just makes it so that that class deals 300% fire damage with every weapon. What I need is something that allows that class to deal increased damage with weapons/skills that have that element.

I originally tried to make this post as simple as possible, in order to see if there's an easy way to increase elemental attack power of different classes. Here's what I ACTUALLY want to do!

I have 5 classes. The player can change class and level them up independently. Each class learns different skills, use different weapons, one of them can swim, one can chop down trees, etc.

Two of the classes, for example, can use bows. I want to make it so that one of the classes deals more damage with a bow than the other (i.e. a weapon proficiency). The way I did this was to create an element for each weapon type. So, in addition to Fire, Water etc., I also have Axe, Bow, Staff, Sword, etc. The attack elements of my bows are both Physical and Bow. Swords and Physical and Sword, etc.

This seemed the only logical way to achieve what I wanted. I just need to make it so that my classes deal extra damage with the Bow/Sword/Staff element, but I obviously only want it to apply when they have that weapon type equipped.

Using Tsukihime's script, I didn't seem to be able to do that.

I did try Dekita's Elemental Control script, but man, is that complicated! I really didn't understand how to set it up, and when I experiment, I just get script errors when I attack something.

Ideally, I want to be able to notetag each class with "150% Bow element, 75% Sword element" etc. to give each one strengths and weaknesses in terms of the weapon they choose.

Are there scripts out there that can do this? Or do I just need to persevere with Dekita's?

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I did try Dekita's Elemental Control script, but man, is that complicated! I really didn't understand how to set it up, and when I experiment, I just get script errors when I attack something
I got the same thing in my test. The script wasn't updated but the fix was on Dekita's website.

Line 156 when it shows # << KEEP !!
Change it to be this
Ruby:
Element={ -1 => {:atk_ele=>[0,1],:def_ele=>[0,1]},# << KEEP !!
0=>{:atk_ele=>[0,1],:def_ele=>[0,1]}}# << KEEP !!
Notes={}# << Keep

All you need is the notetag in the class. I tested it and it works fine.
<atk ele: 3, -0.5>
All numbers are to be something like 0.1 , 0.9, 1.4, 2.8, -0.4, -1.2 etc
1 = 100%, but that adds on. so if you specify 1.4 then the element attack will be 240% for that actor.
140% + 100%(default). So -0.1 means 90% and 0.1 means 110%

I want to be able to notetag each class with "150% Bow element, 75% Sword element"
If those are elements in your project then dekitas script will work.
If those are weapon types, then no.

gsuk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I replaced the part in the script like you said, and added a notetag in my character class <atk ele: 13, 3.0> (element 13 is for Bows – yes they are elements, not weapon types).
I still get the same error message when I attack something though.
I then tried adding the <atk ele: 13, 1.0> tag to the weapon itself (the script says something about adding notetags to weapons), hoping this was something that was required, but it didn't work either.

I haven't done anything else, other than set up the extra elements under the 'Limit Settings' part of the script.

The error says "Script 'Element Rates' line 490: NoMethodError."

I'm either doing something wrong still, or this script just clashes with others (I'm using Falcoa's ABS script, so my battles take place in real time on the map, rather than the default encounters).

If there's nothing else I can do, then I'll have to just make my weapon skills class-specific (Bows use DEX modifier, Swords use STR, etc), but I don't think there will be enough stats to do that with.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
adding the <atk ele: 13, 1.0>
Did you set up that element in the script?
I tested and got that error until I added the element to the script.
Lines 188-197 add on more for each element you have
Lines 227-237 add on more for each element you have
Lines 245-255 add on more for each element you have

Tested and works fine for me.

gsuk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks. I'd set up the elements in lines 188–197, but not in the other two parts (past the "Customization Ends" header).

However, once I did that, I now get a NoMethodError in line 508 (which after adding the elements, is the line that says "return Ele_Fixx::Element[element_id][:atk_ele][1]" – in the "Get Maximum Value of Attack Elements" part of the script).

The elements are set up the same as the others in the script:

Element[13] = { :atk_ele => [ -2.0 , 2.0 ], :def_ele => [ -2.0 , 2.0 ]}
when 13 then [vocab, Text_Color::Grey , 215, 0] – although I don't know what the number 215 refers to...
when 13 then [vocab, Text_Color::Grey , 199, 0] – again, don't know what 199 is.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
"return Ele_Fixx::Element[element_id][:atk_ele][1]"
That's line 477 in the default script. How many elements did you add?
Thats 31 lines added. Which would be 10 additional elements making a total of 20.
I can't reproduce the error.

gsuk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Lines 188-197 add on more for each element you have
Lines 227-237 add on more for each element you have
Lines 245-255 add on more for each element you have

9 extra elements added. In the 3 places you mentioned above. so 27 extra line (plus an odd extra blank line maybe)

EDIT: I put it down to a script clash, so I moved the script to the end of my custom scripts and I no longer get an error message! That must have been the problem. Hopefully it will all work fine now.

Thanks!!

EDIT: Nope. This didn't work. Turns out that any script I had after my 'backtracer' script didn't work. Now I have a ton more issues with scripts that I didn't have before.

I don't think I'm ever going to get this one to work.

@Roninator2

EDIT: I've fixed a lot of the script issues I had, and am now getting a different error. When I attack an enemy, I get a script error on line 527 (which is @atk_ele_plus[element_id] – under 'Attack Elements Plus')

This is a new error! I've tried moving my script around but it doesn't change anything. Everything else is setup the same as before. Do I only need to set up the element notetag in my class? Or do I need to add anything to my weapons, etc? I'm lost as to what's wrong.

I also tried on a class where I have nothing set up (i.e. no changes to what it was before installing the script) and I get the error I had before:

NoMethodError in line 508 (which after adding the elements, is the line that says "return Ele_Fixx::Element[element_id][:atk_ele][1]" – in the "Get Maximum Value of Attack Elements" part of the script).

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Every game that has an option to choose to turn on the subtitle at the first time setup deserves an award.
Only eaten once during breakfast. No lunch
Not that I have any use for them, but Humble Bundle has a new RPG Asset Bundle available for those interested. You can find it here. Happy asset hoarding. :LZSwink:
Tired of just doing mobile. Now you can Play the game in ur Browser! https://bigmala-productions.itch.io/rpg-forever
I managed to fix my car at last... :biggrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pavlacalm