Classic Fantasy Music Pack

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score

Classic Fantasy music pack is a fantastic pack inspired by the classic RPG games such as Final Fantasy and other favorite RPGs. This fantastic pack also includes an exclusive bonus: over 20 sound effects in 8-bit style.

To hear music samples and read the full description, click here.

Member+, don't forget your discount! You can save 5$ by purchasing through the forum store.

Leave a post here with your favorite classic RPG and tell us why you love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
By 'classic', how old do you refer to? Pre-Xbox360/PS2 era? Or is it not an age, but anything we deemed good?

Great product idea btw, let me just listen to the samples...

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
Well, something that came out this year would probably not be a classic. XD

No particular cut-off age, really. Just something you'd personally consider a classic.

Clydous

Slowly moseying my way back...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Final Fantasy VI...Being my first game in the FF series, it had a multitude of new things I had never experienced in an RPG, including the active battle system, the use of Magicite to personalize my characters' stats and magical abilities, among other things. Its story was fantastic, and the music was unforgettable. In fact, it was FF VI that inspired me to begin writing a story for my own RPG...which eventually led me to buy RGP Maker!

Indeed...FF VI is, in my opinion, one of the best RPGs (and likely the best FF series RPG) ever.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok then :D

Final Fantasy 9~

Despite not actually having played the game in about a year, I still remember it with a fondness. It's what shaped Zendir 2's introduction, and helped it become so popular. Final Fantasy 9 started in the thick of the action, explaining the setting incredibly well. However, it didn't give more information than was necessary - just enough to be able to enjoy the game. This considered, the simplicity of the plot itself compared to other Final Fantasies also helped it.

Starting with a band of thieves set on kidnapping the princess, they complete a series of puzzles, fights, team battles and find loot on their way to her. However, once it emerges that she wants to be kidnapped, the introduction turns into an epic escape scene, and from hereon, the tone of the story begins to change. Despite this, it doesn't actually become the slightest bit dark until midway into Disc One at the earliest, due to the actions of one fan favorite - Steiner, the hapless Palace Guard. With his jovial and carefree attitude mixed with his determination to take the princess back to the castle, it's not long before his lines have you rolling over in laughter.

The maps have a huge amount of variation, starting from within the bowls and steamroom of an airship, continuing through massive towns, fields and meadows, on top of towers, through their passageways and into the sky itself. The game doesn't feel the least bit linear despite it actually being so, due to the huge plethora of side-quests and options available once the party reach safety (which makes sense, would they really be doing side-quests before then?). The game is hugely story-driven, and the interesting nature of the story helps. There are twists and turns everywhere, even in offhand remarks within dialogue that allude to the true nature of the game's protagonist and antagonist.

Final Fantasy 9 is also a game that represents the Playstation 1 era well, and appears to have been crafted around the expectations of the games on that console. They weren't hand-holdy, but they had diversity and a linearity that drove the story. The player never really became lost at any point as the huge towns provided a wide array of citizens, all of which provided useful information into the game's plot or what your next mission was. A boss too difficult? Level up once, and you'll unlock a new skill that'll help you defeat it! Granted, this kind of ambiguism in terms of battles (trial and error) can be off-putting for some, but they were great for those who wanted to work things out for themselves.

In addition, the starting town as well as Lindblum are great examples of the game remaining true to its fantasy roots, and providing a sense of realism. The starting town was meant to be seen as a capital of sorts, given that it held the castle which was central to the events of the game, as well as many rich locals. Unlike many fantasy RPGs of the past and after it, the sense of scale provided within the maps actually mirrored the scale of the town itself. Only Final Fantasy 12 and 13 to the best of my knowledge matched this, both providing open-world towns (13 to a lesser extent as it forced you to travel through a set route through them, but 12 wasn't linear, in the same regard as 9).

That's not all. The game was actually fun to play. A plethora of choices, treasure and extra things to do really padded out the game. It wasn't all focused on battles. It was an actual role-playing game, where you could choose to help others and be rewarded instantly or in future quests (Remember the dog from the very start of Resi 4? Like that.), or the quest rewards could actually help the rest of the party. If none of these applied, they were great comic relief. Poor Steiner! :p - Also, the main quest changed the pace of the story up from time-to-time. One minute, you'd be merrily walking along a field to a far-off tower, but the next, excaping from a Black Magician on an airship that was falling apart. These were moments of true tension, separated with downtime moments, a necessity in storytelling otherwise the player would become exhausted.

The graphics? Don't even get me started. Great expectations from the end of the PS1 era were matched with Square's famous cinematic cutscenes, as well as crisp, clear character animations in the non-cutscene scenes. I don't actually have an HDTV to check these on right now, but they looked great on my non HD-TV. It was always easy to see what objects were, and the cities in particular looked great.

I think the only negative of Final Fantasy 9 was the random battles, but given the age of the game and the expectation of games from that era, it can be forgiven. It does give a sense of tension when meandering through the dungeons, making you weigh up the risk-reward ratio: should you risk a random battle to get the loot on the end of the branching path? Random battles only ceased from Final Fantasy 12 and onwards, after all.

The game was just great. All the elements of Final Fantasy 9 worked well together, and it became a work of art. Unfortunately it wasn't as well-received as it should've been as Square were trying to cater to the FF7/8 (dark storyline) market, but if the advertising had been more extensive to attract a wider target audience hoping for a lighter game, it could've done better.

Honestly, best game I've ever experienced from the PS1 era.

byronclaude

Master of all things... (except the things I am no
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am with Clydous when I say:  Final Fantasy 6.  The graphics were still simple, and that simplicity was always fine by me.  That is one of the reasons I adore RPG Maker is because of its similar format.

Final Fantasy 6 came out at a time when I was still growing up and figuring out who I was as a person.  The characters of FF6 had such depth for being in such a simple game.  Terra, Locke, Mog, Edgar, Sabin, Celes, Relm, Shadow, Strago, Leo...  I loved them all, and the things that set them apart.

FF6 had a way of enchanting the player...  the game constantly transformed itself.  You reach an impass at one part...  just after battling Ultros (a scary yet funny Octopus boss) the characters get split up...   and the game divides into 3 scenarios, each with different characters and each that must be fully played out.

I thought this was simply incredible, and I had seen nothing like it before.

The world of FF6 fascinated me to no end.  I loved the Phantom train.  I loved the world of the Espers, and the story of how Terra came to be (her mother Madonna the human, and her father Maduin an Esper).  I loved the 3 generals of the Empire, and how each changed as the story progressed (R.I.P. General Leo).

When the World of Balance was nearing its end, I thought the game was nearly complete....  who knew it would only be the half-way point!!!!

To anyone who has not played FF6...  This game is a must.  The music was also a key to my love for this game.

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
Contest entry

Favorite old school RPG 

Chrono Trigger defined an era for me. Final Fantasy 6 and 9 are a close second though. Honorable mentions Secret of mana and Secret of Evermore.

Chrono Trigger

A friend of mine was playing it and I had just Finished Final Fantasy 3 aka 6 at the time. I finally got a hold of the game and I remember playing it for two weeks every minute I could spare.

From "Good Morning Chrono" to the "ending you get" the game was a great and an enjoyable emotional adventure. Somehow it's all unique and there was so much to do but I always wanted to SAVE Schala and have her in the party as a playable character!! Then there was Magus' henchmen Ozzie, Slash, and Flea and the multitude of supporting NPC characters that were so much part of the story! Btw my one of my older brothers name is really Toma just like the adventurer for the Rainbow Shell! I Love the time travel aspect of the game also! Poor Alfador where did the kitty cat go to? One of you will perish soon...

This was the first time Dragon Ball's Akira Toriyama and Dragon Quest Creator Yujii Horii teamed up with the final fantasy producer Hironobu Sakaguchi to make an RPG for Squaresoft..yes Squaresoft!

This game opens up with a theme sets the stage for an epic that was too good to believe when I first played it. Chrono gets woke up by his mom (pause to let me cry here) and the magic begins. and everything connects so well together in an amazing way. Lucca is a smart geeky but still hot girl that seems to be always doing something and it not working out the way she planned it. Marle is a spoiled princess eager to get out into the world and bravely but mistakenly volunteers for Lucca experiment demonstration at the millennial fair and then her necklace reacts and Zap!!! she disappears!! and all that is left behind somehow is the necklace?  Then Chrono volunteers to follow her (who in their right mind would volunteer to be evaporated right behind her?) Then he is sent 400 years into the past! How crazy is that stuff. Then he meets a man cursed to being a frog (how did he ever get cursed into being a frog btw!?) then they have to go save the princesses ancestor before she is killed and the princess erases from time "Marty McFly style" and when he finally does save the ancestor and returns to modern era 1000 ad. He is instantly out on trial for kidnapping her! and the choices in game effects the outcome of the trial for real but either way the corrupt chancellor (when aren't they corrupt now?) throws you in jail no matter what! So Chrono has to break out the jail and finds Lucca trying to rescue him just as Chrono is about to the exit. and yes Chrono is spelled Chrono and Lucca is spelled Lucca originally in the snes game I had played not until the PS1 days was it changed to my knowledge.

Then there is Ayla a tough azz prehistoric chick who fought for women's rights way back when dinosaurs walked around!! (funny right?) She is a hottie too! and Robo aka Prometheus is a pile of scrap parts when Lucca finds him in the future era and she works on him for days..maybe weeks. Then there is magna e Magnus! aka Magus!! aka _ _ _ _ _ and alfador if you played the game. He isn't a forced party member but you had better go find him! He adds so much to the game and has a multitude of additional scenarios and has a big part to play in the big picture of this story. The mortal enemy of Frog and the bringer of Lavos! he is a badass among badasses. From being a prophet to his tales as a youth in Zeal. he is a whole stockroom full of cans of whoopass. Damn I reall yhave to go play this game right now...and guess what New Game+ ,multiple endings, mode 7, and one hell of an awesome soundtrack and the battle system is crazy good.

Zoltor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Omg, Adventure Time had me worried(it sounds more like classic platformer/MM, then it did classic RPG/Adventure), but after that it was all awesome RPG/fantasy type songs, it definitely lives up to the resource pack's name, that's fior sure.

Woot woot, finally a music pack I really like, and can use, It's not just some mixed pack, that has on song I may or may not use. This pack definitely has a handful I would use.

Favorite classic RPG, that's a pretty hard one(a lot more high quality RPGs were made back then, on a reg basis at that then in the new school era), too hard to choose, well then I guess I'll list the most played game ever(because it was hands down the best RPG ever made for a long time, and I definitely got the most enjoyment over the years from).

Dragon Warrior 3(the original NES game, not that GB joke of a remake): There's so much to this game, there still hasn't been a non MMO that is as great in all the areas this game is in. Where to start, well first you get to create your party from scratch(pretty much unheard of in a non-Dungeon Crawler/RPG), and because classes are a life changing ordeal(non of this classes only being 8 levels, everyone master them all junk), there's a metric ton of ways you can play the game/challenge your self. Great times, I beat it it ways that noone even imagined possible, like with the hero+3 goof-offs(mind you, you can't class change into a Goof-Off, you can only start off as a Goof-Off, so It's insanely hard).

After you beat the game, you no longer need to have the Hero in your party anymore, so that opens up even more possibilities. Then the treasure hunting, omg the treasure hunting. It has the most addictive/iconic moster drop system ever in a non-MMO(and only the Ragnarok Online MMO can beat it), It's so addictive.

You spend so much time hunting monsters to drop what they almost never drop, so It's very exciting when you finally get a rare item to drop. You should see my Vault, I have pages, and pages of the rarest items(shoes of Happiness, Magic Bakini's, Golden Claws, Sword of Illusions, ect). Infact It's such an amazing aspect, my friend, and I compete with each other, who has the most of X item, we have saved games that have been going for way more then a dozen years(and we're talking a single save file, we've been playing the game in general, since it came out).

It's crazy, I'm scared to load my save now, I spent more time on this game, then probally every other game I have "combined", which is insane, because there's plenty of other games I've put mad hours into. I can't even fathom how the battery is still alive(I have a few games, that I haven't even put 1% of the time I put into DW3, yet they are dead. Oddly, on top of that, for some reason the batteries in SNES game, don't last anywhere near as long as NES games, so that's even more dead).

The boss battles are awesome(this migh very well be the game that started the whole event/story driven boss fights, and oh boy does this game do it right. This game also started the whole multiple world thing(you kill final boss, so you think, hahaha, you're journey Isn't over now, now you fight the real boss).

(looks at topic) Must I even mention the music, the "music", It's full of so many great songs(infact almost the entire franchise is full of nothing but great songs, not many franchises can even hold a candle to it, nevermind hope to rival it),It's impossible to list them all off the top of your head, there's too many, and boy does the music get you in the mood to play(I'm sure it probally played atleast a small part in me having played that throughout all these years.

There's too much to talk about with this game, I strongly suggest everyone play the original NES version, if you haven't yet.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have to say I forgot to mention the music of FF9 but that's because I hardly ever actually play games with the music on, due to being deaf! :p

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
@hotfirelegend your deaf pal? Never would have guessed. Real sorry for you my friend you are missing a lot of fantastic music!

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@hotfirelegend your deaf pal? Never would have guessed. Real sorry for you my friend you are missing a lot of fantastic music!
Most people don't guess or work it out, but it's not really a shame for me personally. I've been deaf ever since I was born, so I don't actually know what I'm missing! :p (I guess it would've been worse had I become unable to hear music...)

But I know how important music is for others, it sets the scene. Personally though, I derive that sort of thing from sight. That's why I do pay attention to the music when actually making a game. When playing a game though (unless it is the game I made) I don't judge it.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
My favorite had to be Final Fantasy IV for the SNES.  It was the first RPG I played that had a real storyline to it, and I found the main character's transformation very moving, as he atoned for his past acts.  Although I didn't care for how sexist the men were at one point.  Anyone who's played the game knows the scene I'm talking about.

I also liked the rendition of that game for the DS, although it was a lot harder than the (Easytype) version I was used to.

StanManX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's been a very long time since I've played it -- at least ten years -- but I have an abiding fondness in my heart for Final Fantasy Legend III. I loved the time travel element, the characters, the whole "eat something/install parts and change" mechanic, and who can forget the amazing piece of music that played when you first took the Talon into the air? I get chills just thinking about it.

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Might and Magic

Biggest surprise reveal in a video game EVAH!

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My absolute favorite classic video game? That would be Chrono Trigger, no doubt about it. It's just a solid game all around and is really fun to play. I do not know how many times I've played it, and I'm fairly certain I've played every ending at least once. Even managed not to lose the cat once! For every aspect of the game they take something that's fun as is and then build on it so that it's even more fun the further you get in the game. Love the time travel element? You get quests later that revolve around it. Like the characters? There are subplots for all of them if you take the time to look. Love the fighting mechanics? It gets better when you start combining magic! Love that awesome villain that seems to be the cause of the big problem? He can join your party and you actually have him long enough for it to be worth it. Love to explore? There are events and stories and items that you can only get by looking around. The music is really solid too, it's one of my favorite soundtracks.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Xenogears

One of the most deep and engrossing stories ever created for a video game.

The game is full of numerous religious traditions, philosophy (Nietzsche), psychoanalysis, anthropology, and can vaunt:

well made and interesting characters, an intriguing post-apocalyptic setting, technology and gears, swords & guns, a fun battle system (with both characters and gears), an exceptional soundtrack (try to listen Small two of Pieces without sobbing, I challenge you), fmvs in anime style and an explorable world.

It isn't perfect however, but I don't care about the issues and the rushed 2nd disc, the game is still an unforgettable masterpiece and one of the best classical JRPGs. It's still my favourite videogame of all time, since I played it for the first time when I was a kid (14y ago), absolutely nothing can beat this game for me...even today.

Those who have not played Xenogears have missed one of the best titles of the Rpg genre.

Tigersong

Furry Fellow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hm. By classic, do you mean pen and paper games as well? Then my vote goes to any game with my father as dungeon master. He has a great speaking voice and a way of engaging you that no video game can match.

If we're just counting video games, though, I'd say The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Now there is a game that takes "nonlinear" to a whole new level.

You begin the game as a prisoner (a series tradition), but are soon released to explore the island of Vvardenfell in any way you see fit. Want to be a heroic warrior? You can. More interested in lining your pockets by unlawful means? You can do that too, or a combination of both. I've said it before and it's still true- Morrowind is among the best role-playing games ever made.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
I'd go with Valkyrie Profile on PSX

Why?

First, I really liked how the battle system was made. It was a totally new concept to me during that time and for me it worked great. I also liked how it used Norse mythology as a basis, because of that game I became curious of Norse mythology. Then there was it's gameplay which included elements of platforming which isn't typical of RPGs (specially those that uses a turn-based battle system) that I played at that timeframe (actually I think it still isn't typical for RPGs up to now). I also liked how the game gave you limited time via the periods, it makes you need to somehow plan out how you're going to tackle things. Lastly, but not the least, I liked the concept for Lenneth, she's simply awesome.

Vexed

Malibu Darby
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sadly, I never had a snes growing up so I missed out on a lot of the golden age jrpgs the first time round. I was too busy breaking the necks of random punks in Streets of Rage. So I got into jrpgs quite late, well into the PS1 era.

The first proper RPG I ever played - which is still among my all time favourite games to this day - was Breath of Fire 3. I remember being so... confused when I first played it. The concept of turn based battles was so alien to me, and I had already been playing video games for a looong time so it was a shock, and a bit difficult to get into at first. I had just recently become accustomed to shooting zombies and swan diving off waterfalls and here I was, moving around this little dude with hair that I was fairly sure was a blue turd [see picture reference below] trading very slow blows with blobs of jelly with eyes on them.

<- Turd Hair~

I had no idea what the hell I was doing, and I very nearly stopped playing because it just seemed so damn weird. But something kept me playing. It might have been the funky, quirky jazz soundtrack, or the likeable yet complex and somewhat morally grey characters or even the gorgeous pixel art [turd hair aside, obviously]. Or maybe it was just the first stirrings of that lust to grind for power. To get stronger and stronger and feel as though I could take on the world. Whatever it was, before I knew it I was so hooked. I played the game to death, scouring every area for every item I could find, trying desperately to learn enemy skills by patiently "watching" them over and over and over again. I'd spend ages finding and trying out different dragon gene splicing combinations and locating all the skill masters, even though I didn't really understand how they worked until about my third playthrough.

I fell in love with the characters from the sweet and strong Nina to the lovable and utterly mental Momo to Rei... that kinda-really-hot-for-an-anthro complex, beast-dude who always seemed so mysterious and exotic. And of course, I can't forget Peco. The onion with a head like a rock, that inexplicably transformed into a weird, wrinkly dude with elf shoes every time he landed a punch. I loved all these weirdos and all the others I haven't mentioned. There aren't many games that have a full cast of main characters, npcs and even villains that I adore, but BoF3 is certainly one of them.

I remember being actually gutted when I completed the game. I felt accomplished and I loved the ending, it was close to perfection and genuinely compelling and well written I think, but I was just so sad to say goodbye to these characters, to that world and it's odd rules and gameplay mechanics that I'd grown to love. So, I fired it right back up again and played it through for a second time. And I've been doing that on a regular basis ever since.

Well, until recently at least. Sadly the third copy of the game I've had to buy [i'm fairly sure I just wore the first one out and the second was scratched beyond playability accidentally] was lost in the move from Bristol to Cambridge and I've been struggling to find a replacement. Sadface.

It's been 16 years since Breath of Fire 3 came out and I can honestly say that without accidentally stumbling upon that game, I wouldn't be doing what I do now. I wouldn't have the passion for RPGs that I still carry with me, nor would I be making pixel art, which is such a HUGE part of my life now. Breath of Fire 3 gave that to me. It made me passionate about it. I mean... how could you not be inspired to create after seeing something like this?

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I had just recently become accustomed to shooting zombies and swan diving off waterfalls and here I was, moving around this little dude with hair that I was fairly sure was a blue turd [see picture reference below] trading very slow blows with blobs of jelly with eyes on them.

<- Turd Hair~
I laughed extremely hard, I have to say. That's so true!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I just noticed the minigame challenge. Now considering...
My project just started lagging during battletest and I haven't been able to figure out why...
Oh, Google is now warning users against installing extensions on Edge Chromium
on my plate today- animation.
"Your service has been identified as part of an outage. This is expected to be restored by 7pm IN SEVEN DAYS!!!" Guess I won't be around as much over the next week :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neko2554