Classic PC style tilesets

whozeduke

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most RPG Maker resources mimic console RPGs of the 90s. Does anyone know of any tilesets/characters that mimic the PC RPGs of the 90s instead?

Liandra Aura

Game Director
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I need a screenshot of what you’re referring to...

whozeduke

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some examples: u6-lycaeum-2.png 690784-knights-of-the-chalice-windows-screenshot-you-receive-quests.png DarkSun6.gif

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It looks like they just have a heavier contrast to them, whereas the "Time Fantasy" DLC packs are desaturated a little bit for softer colors. So they'll work, just increase the contrast is all you'll need to do

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
The most defining feature from these screenshots is definitely the weird perspective, which reminds me of the ever popular Tibia. I don't think I know a whole lot of games that stick to that. Speaking of 90 CRPGs, High Fantasy goes for the pre-rendered look which is what devs went to after this look. But yeah, I don't know of any free or commercial asset pack on that style, unfortunately -- and it'll take a lot more than color editing to get this look.

I recommend trying to learn pixel art! This isn't a very hard style to learn, and with the community of artists that we help, hopefully you can get some nice tips! :D

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Check GameDev market, I think they have lots of top/down assert packs, some may even be retro. I'm not sure how well those will look once cut and properly added to RPG Maker though.

Liandra Aura

Game Director
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Top down is completely doable using the shift key, the shadow tool and your own custom walking sprites. But as others have said, TF with more contrast.

MadRamDesigns

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not many modern devs use the topdown cavalier oblique projection these days. Isometric is more popular.
https://opengameart.org/content/denzis-16x16-oblique-tilesets
https://opengameart.org/content/perspective-walls-template

However, it's possible to get something similar by modifying existing wall tiles in gimp/photoshop using snap to grid functions. Granted there may be some detail deforming depending on the scale.

Sprites are a bit trickier to accomplish, very likely need to be hand drawn. To my knowledge even 3d software would have to use some mesh shearing/deforming and fixed top-view to get the effect.

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Is it okay to hug a tree? :/
The new intro Logo for my videos.

I speed it up, the one I use to use was to long.
The workweek is now over. Now I can work on my GamZzzzzZzzzzZzzzZzzZz....
Just watched Onward with the family. One of the best movies I've ever seen. <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Illuminachos