Classic PC style tilesets

Discussion in 'Resource Requests' started by whozeduke, Nov 6, 2019.

1. whozeduke

whozeduke Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Most RPG Maker resources mimic console RPGs of the 90s. Does anyone know of any tilesets/characters that mimic the PC RPGs of the 90s instead?

2. Liandra Aura

Liandra Aura Game Director Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I need a screenshot of what you’re referring to...

Sugor likes this.
  3. whozeduke

whozeduke Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Some examples: u6-lycaeum-2.png 690784-knights-of-the-chalice-windows-screenshot-you-receive-quests.png DarkSun6.gif

4. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It looks like they just have a heavier contrast to them, whereas the "Time Fantasy" DLC packs are desaturated a little bit for softer colors. So they'll work, just increase the contrast is all you'll need to do

5. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    The most defining feature from these screenshots is definitely the weird perspective, which reminds me of the ever popular Tibia. I don't think I know a whole lot of games that stick to that. Speaking of 90 CRPGs, High Fantasy goes for the pre-rendered look which is what devs went to after this look. But yeah, I don't know of any free or commercial asset pack on that style, unfortunately -- and it'll take a lot more than color editing to get this look.

I recommend trying to learn pixel art! This isn't a very hard style to learn, and with the community of artists that we help, hopefully you can get some nice tips! :D

6. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Check GameDev market, I think they have lots of top/down assert packs, some may even be retro. I'm not sure how well those will look once cut and properly added to RPG Maker though.

7. Liandra Aura

Liandra Aura Game Director Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Top down is completely doable using the shift key, the shadow tool and your own custom walking sprites. But as others have said, TF with more contrast.

8. MadRamDesigns

MadRamDesigns Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not many modern devs use the topdown cavalier oblique projection these days. Isometric is more popular.
    https://opengameart.org/content/denzis-16x16-oblique-tilesets
    https://opengameart.org/content/perspective-walls-template

However, it's possible to get something similar by modifying existing wall tiles in gimp/photoshop using snap to grid functions. Granted there may be some detail deforming depending on the scale.

Sprites are a bit trickier to accomplish, very likely need to be hand drawn. To my knowledge even 3d software would have to use some mesh shearing/deforming and fixed top-view to get the effect.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019