Not open for further replies.

CombatJazz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Howdy! I am about to rip all of the hair out of my scalp.

I am trying to make an area of the map that is an indentation in the ground. Appropriately, you should be able to go *in* via the stairs but not *out* via just walking over the cliffs, because that doesn't make any god damn sense.2020-08-14 17_24_12-A Treatise of Golems - RPG Maker MV.png
I have created tiles that SHOULD be one-direction passable (i.e, not allow you to go out) but no matter what I try to do, they just do not work.
2020-08-14 17_27_18-Database.png
I have tried them on O, on X, on Star, and I can just tap dance left and right across the cliffs, even when I make them bigger and don't shift-click them I can just walk right over, no issue. Excuse my french, but what the ****, and also, how the hell do I fix this, I am about to go insane.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Yeah, passability can sometimes be nerve-rackingly stubborn.

I had similiar issues and this plugin saved my sanity:

Once you figure out how the plugin works, it's a dream.

CombatJazz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, passability can sometimes be nerve-rackingly stubborn.

I had similiar issues and this plugin saved my sanity:

Once you figure out how the plugin works, it's a dream.
I'm already using most of the reserved regions for this for other things, and I'm not sure I can afford 20 euros for a commercial license.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I can think of a few reasons for this. One is that the cliff and roof tiles come with passability built in. Another is that the passability rules only work for that specific tile, they don't affect an outside tile going into it from the other side. Lastly, passability rules can override each other if they overlap, causing some unexpected results if you don't understand which one has priority.

I can't be sure without checking, but I suspect that you don't need these B tiles at all, and everything would be fixed if you used an A2 or A5 tile instead of an A4 tile for the inside of the pit.

CombatJazz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can think of a few reasons for this. One is that the cliff and roof tiles come with passability built in. Another is that the passability rules only work for that specific tile, they don't affect an outside tile going into it from the other side. Lastly, passability rules can override each other if they overlap, causing some unexpected results if you don't understand which one has priority.

I can't be sure without checking, but I suspect that you don't need these B tiles at all, and everything would be fixed if you used an A2 or A5 tile instead of an A4 tile for the inside of the pit.
I am using an A2 tile for the inside of the pit - the snowed cobblestone in A2. I've tried combining the arrow B tiles in various ways to no effect, as well as deleting it all and re-putting the entire ensemble down, to similarly no effect.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Another is that the passability rules only work for that specific tile, they don't affect an outside tile going into it from the other side
Actually I'm pretty sure they do look at that. It checks that the current tile is passable in the outgoing direction and that the next tile is passable in the incoming direction.

However, looking at your map, you're using cliff edges all around, so you shouldn't even need to add blank tiles with directional passability - what you want should be happening by default.

So I'm thinking there's something else going on here. What version of MV do you have? If you go to your Tilesets tab and look at the B tile, is the first one set to a star or to O? Can you change it around? It should be a star. If that's not the case, I'm thinking you've got an extra tile that has an O passage, drawn on top of it, and in that case you should draw over that area with the top left B tile to 'erase' any 'blank' tiles you've added. Finally, do you have any plugins that alter passability? Like a region restrictions/movement plugin?

CombatJazz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually I'm pretty sure they do look at that. It checks that the current tile is passable in the outgoing direction and that the next tile is passable in the incoming direction.

However, looking at your map, you're using cliff edges all around, so you shouldn't even need to add blank tiles with directional passability - what you want should be happening by default.

So I'm thinking there's something else going on here. What version of MV do you have? If you go to your Tilesets tab and look at the B tile, is the first one set to a star or to O? Can you change it around? It should be a star. If that's not the case, I'm thinking you've got an extra tile that has an O passage, drawn on top of it, and in that case you should draw over that area with the top left B tile to 'erase' any 'blank' tiles you've added. Finally, do you have any plugins that alter passability? Like a region restrictions/movement plugin?
It is a star, yes. I have Yanfly Region Restrictions (which does not seem to work for restricting player movement at the moment for reasons I have yet to parse, but works fine for events) and Q Movement Regions, which is not being used on this map at the moment (I only use it on the world map because on the world map the player is set to 24x24). I'll try painting it over with the B tile star thingy and get back to you in a moment.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If that doesn't work, try turning off both of those plugins and see if it makes a difference.

CombatJazz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If that doesn't work, try turning off both of those plugins and see if it makes a difference.
Just tried turning them off individually and then both, nothing happened - I can still tapdance over the cliffs with glee. Similarly painting over with the star-transparency corner B tile did nothing.

CombatJazz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright, I feel like an idiot. Just turned off QMovement and everything worked fine, so I turned it back on and set "Mid Pass = true" instead of "false" and now it all works??? So, if anyone has the same issue as I do, try that first.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

12 done, 4-5 started. Now that the weekend is over, things will sloooowwwww down again proabably.
when you're completely done with someone's crap lol...
Ami
--- Survival For RPGist Part 3 ---

F.Healer: Here it is,I made the Simple Sandwich
Survivalist
: it's so Delicious!
Chef: Here you Go! My Gourmet Steak.
Survivalist: It's Super Delicious,Too!
F.Mage: I Made it for you!
F.Healer: Uhh...Charcoal?
F.Mage No,It's a Toast!
Chef: Did you Let it in 10 Minutes?
F.Mage: Maybe?