Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, so short and sweet, I am trying to figure out how I would make a map, where the player is on a cliff, and when near the edge of the cliffs, you can see below what looks like a smaller version of a map, to appear as if the character is really high on the cliff. For image reference, I am looking for something like this.

20160814123310_1.jpg

How would I go about doing this? Thanks in advance.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
make the map itself have transparent tiles where the below should be, and place a parallax picture with a reduced scale version of the other map into the background.

That is the original purpose of the parallax (before people even thought of parallax mapping)

Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
make the map itself have transparent tiles where the below should be, and place a parallax picture with a reduced scale version of the other map into the background.

That is the original purpose of the parallax (before people even thought of parallax mapping)

I follow ya. Did not even think of using the parallax background in map options. Which program would be the best for creating the reduced scale version?

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Threw together a little tutorial incase you wanted some visual aid! Hope it is understandable.

tut1.jpgtut2.jpg

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
any image program you have as long as it is not MS Paint (PS Paint does not support transparency).

Most people use either Photoshop (if they own it) or GIMP (free)

Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Canini

Yep, that is very understandable. Thank you very much :)

I assume that I can make one without the event mapping grid on it as well by being in map edit mode?

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I would do is use the editor to create the "below" map, then right click on the map name and do "Save Image As". This will save an image of the map, without the grid, at 50% size. If this is not small enough for you, then you can use a program to further reduce the size.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I would do is use the editor to create the "below" map, then right click on the map name and do "Save Image As". This will save an image of the map, without the grid, at 50% size. If this is not small enough for you, then you can use a program to further reduce the size.

So I saved the image, and used GIMP to scale it down 50%. Then imported it into the Parallax image directory. However, when I used the background, it displayed multiple of the image in a grid like pattern in the background.

Just like this

Screenshot_2.png

The map was first made in the editor on a map size of 60x50. I took it into GIMP and scaled to 50%, and then put it into parallax. The map I created that has this background is 30x25, or half the original. Because of the issue, I see I was wrong in it working that way. How would I go about scaling this correctly in conjuncture with my new map size?

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, the Save Image feature automatically scales it down to 50%. So, just doing that would have made 30 x 25. But, then you scaled THAT down another 50%, so it would have been roughly 15 x 12.5. If you are making the map 60 x 50 and want it 30 x 25, you only need to do the Save Image part.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Canini

Yep, that is very understandable. Thank you very much :)

I assume that I can make one without the event mapping grid on it as well by being in map edit mode?

Yes, of course. I just did it like that since I was in a rush.

Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, the Save Image feature automatically scales it down to 50%. So, just doing that would have made 30 x 25. But, then you scaled THAT down another 50%, so it would have been roughly 15 x 12.5. If you are making the map 60 x 50 and want it 30 x 25, you only need to do the Save Image part.

Okay that makes perfect sense :)  I had no idea the save image scaled it already lol. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, of course. I just did it like that since I was in a rush.

Cool :) I appreciate the help with this.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No problem. I think I said it originally, but in a confusing sort of way. :D

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I'm tempted to leave the Fight/Escape choice in the Boss Battle submission and make Escape pop up Nedry from Jurassic Park: "Uh uh unh!"
Is it weird that i feel overwhelmed from reading codes that i wrote few months ago? Lol.

I dont even know where to continue!:hsad:
Ami
Gosh,I want to Play this Game Again one more again!

Seeing my Own Character & Kannono Once Again!
Tales_of_the_World_Radiant_Mythology_3_JPN_PSP-Coverart.jpg
I've been a bit to depressed to get work done on the game lately. Don't worry, I'll be okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abishanth