Clip Studio Paint Tricks

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I love using Clip Studio Paint and here are some stuff you might want to know. I'm lazy to write all about it right now but here are some~

Tips And Tricks

• Did you know that clicking the same button multiple times allows you to scroll through different brushes faster? Try pressing B multiple times to see! I do this whenever I want to make airbrush and pen settings on the same button.
    • You can use the brushes with cool settings on vector layer. So if you like using oil brush paint, you can use them and then just use the [​IMG] correct line tool to adjust them!

Questions

Q: When I resize or transform a segment of a drawing, it's too smooth!

A: Once you have an object in transform mode just scroll down on the side of the transform window/tool property. 

[​IMG]

Q: I don't know how to reset the rotation of my image.

A: Look at the bottom part of the canvas. And then click the circle thingy. You can also add a shortcut button to this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016
    aqua, Zede_ and nio kasgami like this.
  2. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    heheh I do have to a little trick 

if I do remember it's not enabled by default you have to enable the window but what I like it's the fact you can hold infinite "color set" or "pallette" in memory I kinda liked this option since I often have to remember wich palette I use for my character ect.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Although if it's not enabled then go like this : 

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016
  3. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    It's enabled by default, you just need to click tabs or undock them~

nio kasgami likes this.
  4. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    true~ I was unsure lol it's so long time I don't bother with the tool who was not enable by default or was xD

I do think the cool stuff is the auto action in clip studio! 

so much usefull for repeat actions haha (I use it for keep in memory wich tone I want to select ect)

5. Shiroi Akuma

Shiroi Akuma Shut up and take my Monet    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Tips And Tricks

• CTRL+SHIFT while clicking on a pixel of layer you want to edit, you can make your workflow a lot faster, the software automatically choose the layer from the pointed pixel.

[​IMG]

• To select the painted area of a layer very fast, just hold CTRL while clicking on the thumbnail preview of the layer.

[​IMG]

Clip Studio Paint EX

• Mesh Transformation, creates a transformation grid, allowing you more advanced transformation, you can drag all that points to the direction you want

[​IMG]

Amarok, kaukusaki, Whisper and 2 others like this.
  6. dexter64

dexter64 Veteran Veteran

Though I'm already inking my sketches with clip studio. I still haven't played fully with my clip studio since I'm still annoyed from switching PS to Clip studio. Orz

Also, anyone knows how to fully control the 3D dolls?

Iliketea likes this.
  7. Iliketea

Iliketea Tea lover Veteran

First Language:
    German

Good Question, I am fighting with that doll too! I never manage to make it the pose I want to ><

kaukusaki likes this.
  8. Shiroi Akuma

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @dexter64

What exactly do you mean by fully control the 3D dolls?

If you mean that the pose handling is really difficult, I guess this is made by pure intention, so that you need to buy a QUMARION for easy pose handling. 

http://www.clip-studio.com/quma/en/

9. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Maybe, but they only ship to Japan.  I can never get the things posed right either, and there's something off about the models that I've never liked, especially in the shoulders.  I just don't use them.

nio kasgami likes this.
  10. Shiroi Akuma

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    That's true. If you need only a reference you could use MMD or MMM. The posing is much more easy especially in MikuMikuMoving. There are realistic models for them too. Or even drawing dolls models.

11. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This is getting off topic, you should post a new thread to talk about modeling help, I think it'd be useful and informative.

12. Chorvaqueen

Chorvaqueen Professional Tonio Apologist Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    About the 3D dolls, you're gonna need a somewhat decent graphics card for them to not lag Clip. I agree with this thing being so hard to pose too coz the controls are really confusing. Thankfully Clip comes with a decent set of generic poses you can use as a reference and I just use those instead.

Clip has a bunch of really nice features like:

Spoiler

[​IMG]

Basically only the lines outside the intersection gets deleted, saves you a lot of time cleaning.

[​IMG]

To do this, you need to be on a Vector-enabled layer and use the Vector eraser and have the setting from above pic on.

Another favourite of mine is the auto outline/edge layer feature.

[​IMG]

Pretty useful for drawing hair

You can enable it by doing this (see encircled parts)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2016
  13. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ooh, that is fun.  Seems like it'd be useful for drawing hair.

14. ksart

ksart Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just a quick tip I've been using a lot and thought i'd share :)  If you use a vector layer for the line art and set it to the reference layer, you can set the fill tool to "Stop filling at center line of vector" this way the color always fills the entire space instead of leaving you with some white spots at corners and such :)

15. Pai

Pai Artist Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm maybe a bit late here, but I love sharing tips for CSP! Some of my favorites have been listed already (like intersecting vector lines, ctrl + click thumbs for selection, and the hair stroke trick), but here's some more, too:

Vector lines can be manipulated in all kinds of ways--move them, transform them, edit every point along them; they're super handy overall, especially if you're doing work that needs to be very precise! 

You can edit them all from here:

[​IMG]

Using shift can grab as many as you need, but you can use a selection to get some neat effects too, using:

[​IMG]

And when you have lines selected, you can change a ton of things; colors, line width, the actual brush itself. You can even change the thickness of all your lineart in a piece in one go; it's really useful!

[​IMG]

Some also very helpful tools include perspective rulers, which you can find here:

[​IMG]

You can have as many point perspective as you want, and it generates your grids for you with manipulatable points to give you just what you need.

The animation palette, which was released in a patch a few months ago and is actually a legitimately good tool for animation:[​IMG]

The base version of CSP is limited to 24 frames per file, though; you need EX to do more than that in one (but it's well worth upgrading for if you animate a lot!). It works extremely well, and you can even import footage to roto over or reference if you need to. Just make sure you set the frame rate when you start and new file though, because it's (ridiculously) set to 30 by default, ahaha. You can fix that here:

[​IMG]

And for anyone who likes to work in pixels, CSP can handily turn off the anti-alias for any brush (it's not the best program for pixeling, granted--but you can do it!): 

[​IMG]

Also a pretty standard one, but still worth mentioning; the button that toggles a layer [a nod to non-repro] blue

[​IMG]

Some honorable mentions, too, which are easy to figure out, but could be useful to people new to or looking into trying the program:

- The "refer another layer" fill tool, which is great if you use lineart regularly but hate doing flats; it has a close-gap in it, so even if it isn't a perfectly-closed area, it still fills (you'll still need to clean up tight spaces, though).

- The same works with the "Select another layer for reference" magic wand tool

- Eyedropper is bound to right click for extremely easy color sampling

- Brushes are super easy to install; just drag them into the UI. 

- Anything can be converted into a screentone

- Unlike Photoshop, you can put clipping masks on folders, and also transform multiple layers at one time bound within the constraints of a selection. 

- If you have multiple files open, you can drag them to any edge of your window and have them open side-by side. Three side by side. Stacked on top of each other. One long one and two stacked next to it. It's limitless.

- Use window --> Canvas --> New Window to open an extra view of the file you're working on

Hope these help! :>

Archeia, kaukusaki and Iliketea like this.
  16. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Geh looking at these new features make me want to upgrade from ms4... The dolls especially. .. 

17. Serg

Serg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Ukrainian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Woohoo, thank you for tips guys and gals!

18. Kunaired

Kunaired Crull_DHS Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can do both, combined them both.

19. Gradian

Gradian Paperbag Sloth Veteran

First Language:
    English-M'sian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sharing a few of my discoveries as csp is my absolute go to for almost everything. Hope these are useful some are obvious some maybe not. I didnt have my tablet plugged in then so the drawn lines are kinda crappy.

Mask
    Mask layer being an annoyance everytime you try to try to rotate a selection? Just press the ✔ in between the main layer and mask layer to disable the layer linking. (instead of wasting time having to keep fixing your mask layer back and forth. You can re-enable it by clicking the same spot)
    [​IMG]

Ruler
    You can have multiple rulers in one layer and control them using the object(o) tool.
    The anchors(the 2 ‎○ circles) control the angle of the ruler(Applies to some rulers)
    Clicking the ◇ diamond disables and enables the ruler. (applies to some rulers)
    You can only use one ruler at a time. Im using special ruler>parallel lines in the image.
    [​IMG]
    The colour of my rulers are different from the default colours bc they're hard to see/too distracting. That can be messed around in file>preference>ruler/units

Text
    Want double outlines for your logos and stuff without going through too many tedious steps?(I have no idea how to word this properly) ...Well it's hard for me to explain without image so↓
    [​IMG]
    Edit>Convert brightness to opacity= turns the white edges transparent (after rasterizing layer)

Others
    Want more control on things like stabilization, thickness adjustments, etc instead of relying on the really restricting indicator bars? Change it to a slider.
    [​IMG]
    Also adjusting brush stroke helps deal with those annoying extra trails left behind from lifting your pen too fast after drawing a stroke. click the wrench icon below>Correction to find the brush stroke option

20. mazzy-elf

mazzy-elf Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love Clip studio I've only more recently switched to it, there is one thing that I haven't figured out yet and if anyone knows how to do it I would very much appreciate it.
    When using vectors to make line art I want to be able to change the vector colour for parts of it (without making a mess) so the only way I figured out how to do it is to rasterize(sp) the layer which I don't like to do, I thought about clipping groups but I can't figure out how they work in Clip.