"COATS" - A game of desperate research [+Demo]

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by anothergoblin, Feb 4, 2013.

?

What are you looking forward to the most in future updates?

1. Cutscenes, Animations and Illustrations!

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. More NPCs & personal stories!

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. Different environments!

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. More music!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Goofy things that are in the game "just-because"!

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. senpoRiot

senpoRiot Professional Procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    oh is that so? i'm still at day 13 haha.

anothergoblin likes this.
  2. anothergoblin

anothergoblin Driven by nightmares and caffeine Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Currently testing the new battle system for Phase Two.

In Phase Two, there will be times where you simply cannot sneak around the Skins - you have to face them, head on.

Since you can't run from them (they never tire), you have to make due with taking them on from a distance.

The system is about keeping enemy speed down (so they don't get to you too fast) while chipping away at their strength.

The player can either aim for headshots to deal plenty of damage, aim for their legs to slow them down or fire body shots to both slow them down AND deal damage.

There is also an option to steady your aim, which doubles the effect on the next attack, and adds a little bonus depending on how large your party is.

The enemy recuperates some speed and strength each turn, so if you neglect their speed, they'll be on you in no-time. If you neglect strength, you won't kill them in time.

You can choose which character you want to keep in your party. Each character has their own signature move, which has a 20% chance to trigger each turn. This move is unique to each character, and differs depending on what action you've taken.

Say, you got a sniper. You tell your party to aim, and the sniper's ability triggers. He gets a perfect opportunity for a headshot, and he takes it, further lowering enemy strength.

If instead you'd have told your party to fire low, he might've slowed them down instead by taking an extra shot at their legs.

Here's some screenshots!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. senpoRiot

First Language:
    Tagalog
    can you change your weapons for each character or do they have fixed equipments? 

4. anothergoblin

First Language:
    Swedish
    They have fixed equipment. Customization is limited to choosing which characters to bring. I don't want to focus too much on guns and ammo, it should be about being strategic in your choice of companions and planning your trips as to avoid battle.

5. senpoRiot

First Language:
    Tagalog
    hmmm.. I get your point. so you can only bring 3 companions? Oh! and what's that hud means in the battle system?

6. anothergoblin

First Language:
    Swedish
    You can bring more than three. I haven't settled on a maximum yet (higher difficulty hordes require more people), but I think it'll be around 5.

The HUD is a Distance indicator. When it reaches 0, the Skins overwhelm you, so it's pretty much like a health bar.

7. senpoRiot

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I really like to try the phase two! :D

8. anothergoblin

First Language:
    Swedish
    It's gonna be a while, it's a lot of work. Probably going to take weeks. But, until then, there's always Phase One. The save files can actually be transferred later, so you don't have to replay the entire Phase One when the next part of the game comes.

9. anothergoblin

First Language:
    Swedish
    Contest? Lottery? Opportunity?

(Whatever you choose to call it)

Allright, so I'm in the meat of Phase Two at the moment. Randal has to gather up old teammates, and find some new ones. It's the biggest part of the game, and I figured I might as well do something extra fun with it.

So here's my offer - At the end of April I'll give one tester (that's you guys) the opportunity to add a character to the Coats pantheon. I have final say, of course, but overall design, inspiration and input will be all you.

You can't decide what'll happen to the character, or what he/she will do. That's up to me. What you will get is an opportunity to toss a character into this world and see what happens.

Kinda fun, right?

So, if you've tested the game and want to have a shot at designing your own character, just post a reply with some feedback and end the reply with something along the lines of "I'd like to add my own character". Something like that.

Just trying to keep things interesting ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
  10. themo

themo Artist Veteran

First Language:
    english
    This game is really cool, i like it allot.

11. anothergoblin

First Language:
    Swedish
    'Coats' welcomes our new illustrator on board!

Now we can get those nasty placeholder replaced by actual, relevant illustrations! <3

http://butterlux.deviantart.com/

12. anothergoblin

First Language:
    Swedish
    Sorry for being so quiet! Time for an update on what you can expect in the upcoming Phase Two:

The first part of Phase Two will consist of finding squad members. You will travel in your car, looking for both old and new members.

Some members will be optional, and will not be able to actively aid you in combat - but they will aid you once you come far enough into the story to start working on your Engineering Project.

The Engineering Project will be a lot like Research in Phase One, except it will have different resources and be constructed differently depending on what approach you chose at the end of Phase One.

It will also differ depending on what characters you've chosen to take into your engineering team.

You will also be able to scavenge engineering supplies all over the map, hidden all over the world. These will have no immediate bonus, but will be able to help you once you start your Project.

At the moment I'm working on a small town where you get to interact with it's inhabitants. Some will join you, some will despise you, and some might even kill you if you present a threat. That's right - dialogue CAN kill you.

So that's what's going on right now, just thought you'd want an update.

Peace!

senpoRiot and themo like this.
  13. anothergoblin

First Language:
    Swedish
    Also - there will be two types of NPC's available for recruitment.

Combat NPCs are those available to help you actively in the field, against the Skins. They all have the same stats, but they have special attacks that trigger on specific commands. This way you can choose to customize the team you bring with you. You can spread out their competence to give a bonus to each command, or specify them on a specific task.

Noncombat NPCs are a future investment. Sooner or later, you're going to start working on an Engineering Project, and by then you want good people to work with. Consider these "bonus resources" or "collectibles".

14. anothergoblin

First Language:
    Swedish
    UPDATE!

First off, there's a new demo available. It shows the beginning of Phase Two and gives you an idea of how the story is going to develop.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81167540/Coats%20-%20Demo.exe

Also, we've started replacing placeholder images with original artwork. We've only just begun, so at this moment there is one original image currently, at the start of the game. Still, it shows that we're on our way!

http://butterlux.deviantart.com/art/COATS-Randal-is-Checking-the-Phone-364029655

15. themo

themo Artist Veteran

First Language:
    english
    I will give the new demo a look when i get a chance ^.^ I liked the whole feel of this.

16. senpoRiot

First Language:
    Tagalog
    At last!!! It's here!! :D

17. MewSkitty

MewSkitty Villager Member

First Language:
    Malay
    :D !

xxx

18. anothergoblin

First Language:
    Swedish
    New demo coming up at the end of the week, most probably. The story is coming along great, and I'm quickly getting to a large milestone. So... perfect for a demo!

Dark_Metamorphosis likes this.
  19. Dark_Metamorphosis

Dark_Metamorphosis What a horrible night to have a curse. Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Howdy fellow country-man :D

I tried this out today, and I thought I could write down my impressions, and also some questions about the game, here goes:

Totally got hooked on this game. Been playing for 3 hours now and I'm at day 32 :D

It's noticable that you have put down a lot of work into this, and I'm amazed with the features you have put in, and the events are just awesome.

I have no clue how you implemented the values to drop depending on how you plan everything every day of the research, really amazing.

The shooting event is really well done, and how you managed to implement the autopsy system is really out of my knowledge!

I like the fact that the game change all the time, when new people will arrive (and you will have a lot more to think about, and do once the facility gets crowded.)

Every new feature that will be available makes the game even more enjoyable (and almost addicting on my part xD).

There are some things that I have some questions about though. Since I'm at day 32 at the moment, I have 3 different features that will help me get research on the psyche and biology of the skins. That would be autopsy, research the specimen that you capture, and watching the video tapes. I noticed that once you get the chance to autopsy It's a lot more efficent when it comes to getting percentage in the research, but after some time, It doesn't give that much details anymore. So my question is, will you be able to find better items when you scavage depending on how many times you have done it? And, will watching the video tapes give you more percentage after watching them a lot?

I also think that the 'schedule' system is awesome (If you decide to do one research, you don't have time to shoot skins. And if you decide to watch the video tapes you have to do it at the start of the day to be able to watch it, and then you can't research the specimen. Think that was a really cool feature). Same goes with the trading, and everything else that I got so far.

Another thing I'm wondering about though is the 'likes' that you get from talking to the various people. I have all of the girls, being a bit more interesting now and a chance to leave the 'friend zone' with them. But after that it seems I can't get further in the relationship with them? Is this intended, and will it unlock again once you get to the next phase, or is it just not included in the game yet?

I think the game is extremely well done, and I couldn't stop playing! Played 3 hours without a break, and that's something I usually don't do with an RPG-Maker game! I'm looking forward to pick it up again, this weekend and I can't wait to see the new 'phases' that you will put in there! Like I said, the different choices you have to make every day for the most efficient outcome is something that is really addicting. And changes being made after a set amount of days just makes you want to see what comes next!

Supporting this to the fullest, and It's been one of the funniest games I have played in a while (even funnier than the games I play on my xbox 360 to be honest)

Sjukt grymt jobbat måste jag säga! ;)

~Dark.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2013
  20. anothergoblin

First Language:
    Swedish
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy, I love feedback. I always get so excited. I'll give you a thorough response.

Och hej, kära landsman! :D

I'm glad you're enjoying the events! Sadly, they will be further and further apart, but as long as the story progresses, there will always be something new (or someone new) dropping in. Also, pay close attention to the decisions you make early on when it comes to people - because, unlike most material things, people will remain. I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say that the people you rescue will play a big (big!) part throughout the game as you progress to the second and third phase.

The values drop and rise depending mostly on how much time that has passed, where you send your team to scavenge, your defense and also the amount of Skins attacking your facility (which you can view at your main station through scanners). There are a lot of factors worked into it, but my biggest warning is - if you drag on too long, the Skins WILL overrun you. There is, literally, no way to survive forever. I want that impending sense of urgency.

The key to great research is to constantly try new things. A hint is to use the newest kind of research as often as possible, as it gives the greatest result. The video tapes will always yield the greatest amount of research, until they're depleted (there's a set number of them). Without spoiling anything I can reveal that once you're done with them, there will be new research options available that furthers the story. I kept the autopsy available for players who wanted to go shoot things, but really, the videotapes (and what comes after that) is the most successful ways of research.

The schedule system is a simple matter of priorities. If a character could do everything at once, there would be no need for choice - you could just put your character on autopilot and be done with it. But since people don't have unlimited time, you have to make difficult choices sometimes. It was kinda hard to implement, but I think it worked out fine. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Ah, yes, the romance options. Don't worry, you're doing everything right. The thing is, once you reach the end of the first phase of the game (first phase out of three) there will be kind of an... event. Don't worry, you won't miss it. It's mandatory. At this event, you will get the option to talk to people without the stress of impending doom hanging over your shoulders. At this point, there is a chance to advance your relationship with one of those that you've scored a lot of points with. That person will be so much more than just an NPC, it will be a companion, someone who will aid you throughout the rest of the entire game. Got any personal favorite? :D

I'll be dropping a new demo soon. You will have to reinstall, but if you manually copy your save files you can keep your game going without having to start over.

The second phase of the game will be quite different. There will still be choices and consequences (that's kind of the theme), but there will also be a chance to see how your choices have influenced the world around you. Some characters will react differently depending on things you did in Phase One. But you'll get to see that for yourself.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, and I hope you will continue to do so as the game progresses.

Thank you so much for your feedback, and if you have any more questions or just wanna chat about the game, feel free to keep writing ^_^

Dark_Metamorphosis likes this.