Code-Off Challenge #1 [ finished ]

Discussion in 'Code-Off Challenge' started by ??????, Jun 1, 2014.

1. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yea agreed. It opens up the possibility of 'stealing' other peoples coding and ideas. At the end of the day, the whole point of this was to help people learn how to code better so we cant really allow the possibility of cheating to occur.

I am also going to remove the script link (to venka's script) for now. It will be added back into the op just before voting begins. This is being done to avoid people stealing ideas :D

@venka - if you want, you could spend some more time on your entry - maybe see what you can think of to improve the scene if you think that it could be better :)

If you dont want to though, thats upto you. :p

It has also been settled that the closing date (for just this contest) will be extended. This is mostly due to alot of scripters being preoccupied with the IGMC event and really, who can blame them when there is potentially $10k at stake.

This event will now run until the 14th of July. This will allow more scripters to take part and in turn, there will be more code to compare your own against.

I hope this doesn't inconvenience anyone. :)

Shaz likes this.
  2. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Then I might be back in. Excellent! :3

?????? likes this.
  3. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good to hear man.

I know quite a few people would have had to put this off due to the IGMC, by extending the date this should hopefully allow more people to participate. At the end of the day, we need people to join in or there is no event :D

4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Chicken Games do have a base for putting new stuff into your sprites in-game in case somebody wants a bit of idea on how to do the sprite part... :)

And I do actually think that being able to see each other's code is a good way to learn (as long as that person is willing)... especially if you say that the whole point of this is to simply help each other learn how to code better anyways... we do that a lot on the other communities that I've been... we post what we do if we want and people can look at it and possibly give comments on how to improve...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2014
  5. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    oh yes of course, but everyone should write their own script before looking at the other entries. by looking at the other scripts it will affect how you write your own.

Once the eadline has been reached, all the scripts will be added to the OP and then everyone will be able to compare code :D

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  6. BadMinotaur

BadMinotaur You can do it! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oh thank goodness the deadline was extended haha. I was wondering if I'd be able to fit it in, real life got really busy suddenly!

?????? likes this.
  7. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    lol I am happy that by extending the deadline other people will now be able to participate. We where saying about how the IGMC would have, unfortunately, stopped alot of scripters from being able to participate due to being tied up within other projects.

BadMinotaur likes this.
  8. Ruby

Ruby Of the Earth Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Still excited about this. I cannot wait to see what you all come up with.

?????? likes this.
  9. FenixFyreX

FenixFyreX Fire Deity Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think I'm going to participate, absent as I have been. It should be fun digging back into RPG Maker code. I already have a few great ideas :D

10. Quietus

Quietus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Ah awesome, thanks for extended the date! Definitely going to put something together for this  :)

?????? likes this.
  11. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ^_^ Good to hear.

The IGMC has almost finished, so I am sure there will be a fair few submissions once people get some rest and such :D

12. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do you need to add submission instructions to the first post? I had a quick look and couldn't see any mention of PMing you.

13. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    yea Shaz sorry - havent got round to adding it yet.. Dont fear though - IGMC will soon be over and I can return to 'normal duties' :)

14. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    :o lots of hidden posts...

Anyway -

Now that the IGMC is over - this event is now the main place to be !!

Remember - the deadline is July the 14th - so you guys have around 9 days to complete your entries and pm the link to either myself or Shaz :)

Hopefully we get a fair number of entries as prizes (in whatever form) seem highly unlikely unless there are a fair number of participants :p

Ruby likes this.
  15. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I still want to participate, but I'm just completely without energy lately... But it's not over until it's over!

?????? likes this.
  16. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can still participate without putting every bit of your energy into a script :)

Also - your script doesn't have to be mega complex in order for it to be 'the best' :p

17. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just a quick note to say that I will be updating the OP tomorrow with the scripts that have been entered.

If anyone has written a script and not sent a pm with the details to either myself or Shaz yet, please do so now :)

18. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Double post kind of had to be done to ensure that everyone was aware that...

The entries are now in !!

The OP has been updated to include the links to Venka's, FenixFyreX's and my scripts for this event.

There has not been as many participants as I had hoped, possible due to the IGMC draining everyones energy :D

Let us hope that the next challenge will recieve a higher level of participation :p

Also - if you wrote one of the entries, please do not vote for your own entry. As previously mentioned, this does not give an accurate represenation of how good your script actuall is :D

Anyway, there are 3 new 'wardrobe' scripts for everyone to play with. Please download them all and give us scripters some feedback on the scripts. Remember, keep the feedbck either positive or constructive ^_^

Looking forward to seeing what the other scripts can do compared to mine :D

Edit:

Just had a good look through venka and Fenix's scripts.

Here is my initial feedback for you guys.. (put in a spoiler to not spoiler it for people who aint yet tested :p )

Note : I tested the projects using my computers 'power saver' mode to ensure that any FPS drops would instantly be recognizable.

Venka:

I really liked the overall feel of your scene and if I was a player I would much prefer to navigate your scene for changing my character. It was very user friendly and quite pleasing when flicking through various outfits :D

The main problem I found with your script is that its creating WAYYYYY too many sprites (20 for each character?) which causes sever FPS loss (I was between 28/44 FPS whilst on the map).

Realistically, as long as you are applying the layers in the correct sequence you should only need the one sprite. I think that would dramatically improve the speed at which your base sprite is getting blt'd on :D
    Fenix:

I instantly got the impression that you had spent a lot of time writing the script - maybe a little too much time (judging by all those add-ons lol) :p

I also suffered from quite a severe FPS loss when on the map, though not as much as Venka's script. But the main dislike I have with your script is - I really really dislike the window layouts. Not sure what it is, whether its the horz commands or the transparency of the windows, but it kind of feels somewhat strange when in the scenes.

As I played around some more with my script, here is some feedback for myself (trying to be fair here lol)

Dekita:

I really like how you have given outfits 'special features' so that each outfit can have a strategical impact on gameplay. Coupled with the stat gains I think this could work well as an alternate 'equip' system. Or could even be used as some kind of character/class creation system at the start of a game.

I had no FPS loss on the map; HOWEVER, this is due to each outfit being fixed. The other scripts offer a much larger selection of character possibilities because of this.

Also - the documentation included with the script is not very informative, especially when you go beyond the customization section.
    Another Note : When testing on 'high performance' mode the FPS drop from all scripts was minimal.

Hope I wasn't too biased there :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  19. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the review ;) I didn't realize you could have more then one bitmap per sprite. It's something I'll have to look into. I disliked having that many layers.. I just couldn't find a way around it.

I played around with the other two entries. I'm kind of sad there weren't more entries as I was looking forward to seeing how some of the other folks did it and there were a few that showed interest that I studied scripts from the learn how to script.. but anyways.. :)

Dekita

The interface was simple and clean. I had to change the default font because it was just a bit too tiny for my comfort. Also when I sized the resolution down to default, the stat's window had the text run into the neighboring column. There was no notations on how the graphic files were named. I looked in the resource manager to figure it out, but there was no mention of it in your instructions. Otherwise, I couldn't really find any fault in your script. It was easy to follow what you were doing for everything (I know mine gets a bit muddy on the scene). I never even though of adding statistics to the wardrobes. That was a nice touch and a play to your strengths :) I also like the conditional script checks so you can see if an outfit is equipped before being able to do something.. like maybe you'd need a flame retardant outfit before running into a flaming building to save someone :) All neat little touches.

The only thing I would have liked to see is the ability to set the outfits for more characters. Maybe that's just me being a female, but I like being able to customize my characters :) I also like the faceset changes when the outfit changes. I started to do that with mine as well.. but as you've noticed.. the sprite layers are crazy so I decided to just leave that for some other time.
    FenixFyreX

I liked the title screen (I know it had nothing to do with the code challenge, but it was neat). I like all the options you gave the developer. Each piece of equipment had it's own visual graphic set to it and it could be assigned a male or female piece.. I envisioned a funny scene where the main male character had to dress in drag for something (but I digress). The armor stands sounded pretty cool. You mentioned something about metaprogramming and that's something else I'll need to look into as I can see many many uses for it.

Now I just feel stupid looking at your code because I couldn't follow a lot of it. So I won't comment on it. As for playing through the demo... I tried changing my characters hair and that worked. It asked if I'd like to change the color of my hair and I tried to do that and no matter the combo of colors/alpha I used, the hair never changed colors. There wasn't enough instructions on how to operate your scene. I tried to change my cloths and I could take them off, but never change them. When I went to the armor shop I saw that the bottom portion of the screen would be where my available clothing options would be. Again, the color selection didn't work. I'm not sure what the social slots are for (I'm guessing things like hair flowers, masks, etc). Also I mentioned I liked the sound of your Armor Stand add on script.. but I couldn't figure it out either. The map said it had one set up, but in game play, nothing showed up. I also tried adding more party members to the group and their graphics never showed up. I got this error message when I saved and tried to load the game.

I think your script has a LOT of potential and could be a great script, but it needs some more work to get the bugs fixed and maybe to be a little more user friendly.

20. The Infamous Bon Bon

The Infamous Bon Bon Executive Geek Member

First Language:
    English
    I keep getting this error when I try to run FenixFyreX's demo:  [SIZE=11pt]System\RGSS301.dll could not be found.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]So I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet.  So I don't want to vote yet.  The other two worked just fine so I don't know why this is [/SIZE]occurring[SIZE=11pt].[/SIZE]