Code-Off Challenge #2 [Entries are in, Voting has begun]

Discussion in 'Code-Off Challenge' started by ??????, Aug 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
    All information and general rules surrounding this event can be found HERE.​
     ​
    [​IMG]
    The challenge is (as chosen by you, our loving community) is...
    A bestiary that automatically keeps track of all enemies fought/killed - Suggested by BadMinotaur.
    This script won with 54.55% of the votes (out of 22 votes)

Challenge Details
    A bestiary/monster book is a separate scene that shows you all of the enemies you have fought/killed. Traditionally, it would show a picture, various statistics and information of each monster. Enemies would be generally added to the bestiary when first encountered; however, this is up to you, as is the information about it. You could have additional information being shown after killing the enemy or a certain amount of them - for example.

As long as your script retains features highly similar to this, you can submit it.​
     ​
    REMEMBER
    Dont be afraid to think outside of the box!!
    Script has to be newly written for this event - no reusing old scripts.

​
     ​
    [​IMG]
    Sunday 24th August 23:59pm (GMT) 2o14
     ​
    [​IMG]
    Venka's Bestiary
    LINK
     ​
    FenixFyreX's Creature Compendium
    LINK
     ​
    Dekita's Bestiary
    LINK
     ​
    [​IMG]
    Voting Finished
    1st - Venka​
    2nd - Dekita​
    3rd - FenyxFyreX​
     ​
    Results

Which script did you find easiest to use && understand?
    1. Venka's             (7 votes [63.64%])
    2. FenixFyreX's        (2 votes [18.18%])
    3. Dekita's            (1 votes [9.09%])
    4. Note Able To Choose (1 votes [9.09%])

Which Script has the 'best' code?
    1. Venka's                                  (2 votes [18.18%])
    2. FenixFyreX's                             (2 votes [18.18%])
    3. Dekita's                                 (1 votes [9.09%])
    4. Not Able To Choose / Not A Script Writer (6 votes [54.55%])

Overall, which script do you think is 'the best'?
    1. Venka's      (7 votes [63.64%])
    2. FenixFyreX's (0 votes [0.00%])
    3. Dekita's     (4 votes [36.36%])
     ​
    [​IMG]
    None Yet​
    :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
    Shaz likes this.
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A feature which might be nice would be one which would be compatible with something like a 'scan' skill. e.g. Yanfly's Enemy Target Info script.  So the idea would be that the bestiary info scene would only call up those enemies which had been scanned.  Without something like this, scan skills become redundant, as the info is available as soon as you've fought/killed an enemy.

?????? likes this.
  3. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Not sure if it would be allowed unless you write the scan skill too. I've wanted to do just that feature whenever I got around to a bestiary script. So if it's not allowed not, I'll add it to mine late

?????? likes this.
  4. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was also thinking of having a scan-like skill as well. I dont see any reason why having a skill to scan the enemies into the bestiary would be disallowed :) As long as the scripts retains the feature of 'view detailed monster information on fought/scanned/whatever monsters' then you are pretty much good to go. (providing you are able to view all monster information from the normal bestiary scene - usually called via a menu)

Also, I was thinking perhaps the deadline is quite long for such a simple script. Rather than change it to a sooner date, I hope that by keeping it as is, it gives script writers the confidence to partake in the challenge - considering how easy this months script actually is :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  5. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    yeah.. I've been wanting to do a bestiary for a while and been putting it off.. so this code off finally gave me the incentive. And I'm surprised at how fast it went. I started on the design (I always do mock ups in photoshop), then I code the scene with default info in it, then I do the mechanics... once I'm happy that it functions, then I go in and add tweaks or features that sound neat and not too hard to do.

Anyway.. I had the design and scene coded in 1.5 days and all of it's working.. now I just need to do the mechanic parts that aren't visual.

So just to be 100% sure.. would could allow for the use of Yanfly's Scan skill script or we'd have to write our own?

edit: Oh and on the time limit.. maybe when we vote for the next script you could put a time period for each dependent on it's difficulty? You're a pretty good judge on how much work will need to go into it

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
    ?????? likes this.
  6. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had never really thought of a bestiary, but now that I have started writing it, I am really enjoying all the various things I can do with it :)

Seems we are in a fairly similar place... I have also coded all the visual side of things, just need to add the main mechanics - like, stopping enemies data being visible until [x] .

For the purpose of the challenge, it would be best that you code the feature from scratch rather than adding Yanfly compatibility. Personally, I have been wanting to add compatibility with some of my $D13x scripts, had to hold myself back - which has already restricted the features in my script quite dramatically :(

Perhaps for future challenges I will add a time period into the vote. That way when people are voting on a script they would also have a better ida of the expected time frame which they have to complete the challenge :)

7. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    thought so on the scan skill :) if I have time I'll write a simple one.

And while looking at my scene.. I decided to change it up a bit.. I always seem to do that as well ;) So it involve a bit or rewriting one of the windows totally, but it'll be better in the long run. I came up with a few designs and then went and goggled images for inspiration and realized.. there's not a whole lot of variety in the bestiary world for how to display the info... So I think my scene is pretty clean and easy to use and view stuff.. but maybe it's a bit vanilla.

Anyway.. I've put to use the bitmap tips you gave me on the last code off to use in this one ;)

8. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yea, no need to push yourself into having extra work if its not really needed.

I am also always changing my scenes. Even after I am fuly satisfied with them, a month later, I have new information to add and have to rethink things :p

Yea, the things people do with bestiarys are usually fairly basic... Most people/games just go with 'list of monsters in the game'. Final Fantasy Bestiary's are usually fairly well constructed in terms of unique features - perhaps one of those systems may give you some additional inspiration.

I think I only have one method that is actually creating a new bitmap. The rest of them are just writing text to existing bitmaps. Obviously, not added bg images or anything like that (not sure if i will be either) - probably will. 

How many lines is your script atm  ?  Mines is around 6-800ish I have not counted cause I keep all my script sections separated until I 'compress' them inot one script for release. So my figure is just an estimate. :)

9. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    atm 775 lines.. with 211 of that being instructions, script header and settings. I haven't written in the note tag stuff yet, but I have a lot of stuff I'm planing on doing with note tags and think there's where I'm going to add in my personal touch

10. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm @ 1070 - Just counted :D

I havent added any script header or anything like that yet. I always leave that kinda thing till the end... Mind you, I have left so many scripts unreleased just because I couldn't be bothered documenting it :p

Just like you, I also have a 'personal touch' that will soon be implemented. Keeping that 'hush hush' for now though :)

Hopefully we get more participants this month. Will be good to have more scripts to compare against :D

11. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    yeah, that'd be great ;) maybe even enough to earn badges =P

This one is much easier then the last one (at least for me.. this one is perfect for what I like to script), so might get more folks started and there's also few other competitions going on right now.

?????? likes this.
  12. Goldstorm

Goldstorm ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕗ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What do I have to lose? Nothing!

I'll start with a vanilla game and see what I can come up with during my time off.

bgillisp, ?????? and Venka like this.
  13. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Venka
    Perhaps it will be :)

A Bestiary is actually something I would never have thought twice about. Its so easy to write as well. As I just pointed out to someone on skype, its literally a case of making a command window with a list of enemy names... They mentioned a 'has killed switch' to check if enemy has been beaten and then you are pretty much finished. Everything afterwords (graphics and what-not) are all variables that are not required in any way shape or form.

@Goldstorm

'Nothing to lose' indeed my friend - and with such knowledge to be gained one would be somewhat foolish not to partake. p

This is surprisingly a really really good script for people who have been wanting to test their scripting progress. I would urge all scripters to take part in this one, simply because the script requires so little time to make good :)

Goldstorm likes this.
  14. Goldstorm

Goldstorm ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕗ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes and no. The script idea sounds fairly simple in theory, and can be made a lot more complex over time. However, I'll find a way to over think it.

?????? likes this.
  15. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lol I do that too. End up thinking up 800 systems to enhance the one system I was writing. End up deciding 'fk this' and scripting something else lmao...

All I could recommend for thatis - make sure you have a basic version working before you try to overthink. At least then you will always have your 'basic' copy if you mess up and cant figure it out :)

Goldstorm likes this.
  16. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    yep, it can be simple it you stick to a basic show info. But it can get pretty complex depending on the features put into it. And as always feature heavy != good.. but I can't help myself.. I always try to add as many features as I can think of lol

oh and I use to back my scripts up all the time for when I really fubar'd it... but I've come a long way and can usually figure out how/what I broke any more. I think 80% of what I learned was from trying something out and it wouldn't work like I wanted it to... or not work at all. Then after hours of wanting to bang my head on the table.. I'd figure it out.. those lessons usually stick with me =P

17. sokita

sokita Crawling back to the surface Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    umm, you can ignore me if you want, but please be wise about these cases if you adding kill count feature:

1. When the monster can recover from dead, you should not add this to kill count twice, right?

2. For boss monster that you don't need to kill him, e.g: suikoden 2, when you fought flik. I am not sure this kind will be counted as killed or not

3. For monster that has ability to doppelganger, make copy, or kage bunshin.

18. JoePro

JoePro None Newb Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It would depend on how those cases were set up. As far as I know they would have to be scripted to happen or in the dopple case evented. For the dopple as long as the graphic is change and not the enemy it should not be an issue. As for the reanimated case, as long as the enemy is healed the then will not ever be an issue with a kill count.

In other words unless you change the enemy your kill switch should not be effected. As for the copy that would and should still count as a kill if they killed it. 

With all of that said there would be no way for a programmer to per-emtivly know how a person is going to set that up.

BTW I'm in too.

?????? and Venka like this.
  19. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi there, thanks for the suggestions.

IMO - if you killed a monster that is then brought back to life (which i dont think can happen in default vx ace - which is what we are using - no 3rd pty scripts included (other than the one we write for the challenge) ) then you re-kill the monster - you have technically killed it twice; therefore, I am not sure why you think it should be discounted ?

With number 2 - do you mean for boss monsters that cannot be killed during the fight ? like, they flee after a certain time or whatever ?

For numbe r3  - dopplegangers, again, are not a default feature within vx ace; therefore, it is not likely that all script writers will be able to accomodate such features - for example - how are we supposed to know which doppleganger script you are using?  what if you wrote it yourself or had it commissioned and it was never publicly released?  how could one possible ensure compatibility with such a script ? :)

There may be a way to event the doppleganger situation, in which case, it would completely depend on your eventing skills as to whether the script was able to take into account the 'dopple'. :p

Glad to hear it :)

Can't wait to see what you come up with :D

20. FenixFyreX

FenixFyreX Fire Deity Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Actually, an enemy transforming and becoming a doppelganger is possible with eventing alone via Enemy Transform, not just a script. Therefore, sokita's 3rd suggestion does have some merit to it. I'll be implementing a check whether or not the enemy's $data_enemy id changes throughout the battle and if so, not adding the point after the change, but only if a certain condition is met (a notetag or something in the comments, idk).

To be honest, I'm finding it hard to write this system; my heart isn't really in it, and so the ideas aren't flowing.. Nonetheless, I'll be participating :) Can't wait to see what other people come up with.

?????? likes this.