Code-Off Challenge #2 [Entries are in, Voting has begun]

Discussion in 'Code-Off Challenge' started by ??????, Aug 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, I'm having a hard time coming up with stuff that hasn't been done over and over again. My husband is a gamer as well, but has no interest in rpg maker so I told him I was making this script and he had some neat ideas.. but don't know how well they'd fit into an rpg maker game. I've gotten 90% of the script done with the way I wanted it done from the onset and since it was something I was real comfortable scripting.. I decided to challenge myself by doing something I've never messed with before and using Struct.  It's a pretty neat way of setting things up and can't believe I've never tried it before

2. Zane

Zane Food for thought Veteran

First Language:
    US English
    Well yeah, structs are very useful. That's how I am building the radar system I said I was going to make a while back. But I'll let you all get back to your bestiaries. =P

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
    ?????? likes this.
  3. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmm, never used Struct myself... Might look into that :p

I am probably only around 40-50% finished with my bestiary entry, buts it rather advanced (if i do say so myself) so thats ok :D

4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I may jump in with you too, though I'm still a basic scripter and have done nothing more advanced than edit the counterattack line in the base code and fixed one existing script to display something. May be worth it for the practice, even if I end up with junk by the deadline.

?????? likes this.
  5. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thats what its all about. :)

6. FenixFyreX

FenixFyreX Fire Deity Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @bgillisp - That's the beauty of it; the code you write may be junk, but the knowledge gained therein from trying is immeasurable in the road to learning. Because you took the first steps to learning the language, you've really already begun winning the war that is writing Ruby code :)

7. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    No, no, feature heavy == good ! :D
    Well, I guess it is personal preference, some might like simple things with little to no setup needed, some others will yearn for hundreds of features and options. I am from the second category. :p

Eagerly waiting for the entries!

?????? likes this.
  8. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yea, I am pretty much like that too :D

Has anyone fully finished their script for this yet? I'm still working away on mine :)

9. BoluBolu

BoluBolu Veteran Veteran

Hey I just wondering about the fought count(not kill count), I can't decide with this, let's say if the player bump into a troop that consist of 3 spider, so how many fought count is added? 3(because the spider is 3) or just 1 ? Personally I will go to 1, but I want your opinion guys.. Thanks. Peace.

10. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I haven't been in this conversation, so hope I'm not overstepping bounds by chiming in.

However, BoluBolu, my opinion as a player is that I go through the effort to defeat 3 spiders, I want it counted as 3 spiders. I mean, you are taking damage and such from 3, not 1, so why not get credit for 3?

11. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Fought count can stand for "encountered" too, or not? You can just change the name for that, and by doing that, there is no question how many should be added (3, of course :p ).
    But even if you stay with the "fought count" name, I would add 3 instead of 1, because the player has seen 3, fought with 3 and not with 1 only, like mlogan already wrote.

mlogan likes this.
  12. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Nope. I got it as far as the custom menu entry to select, and a blank window showing up (which you can close out of) in the last 24 hours. Now to figure out how to actually display the relevant information...

13. BoluBolu

BoluBolu Veteran Veteran

Hmm now that you mention it, and that was a good phrase, "encountered", but still If I think it like this : I walk to the park and "encounter" 3 dogs at the same time, then I went back at home and tell my brother "Hey, I "encountered" dog 3 times at the park"(which is weird, I know I meet them only once) Or "Hey I "encountered" 3 dogs at the park"(this more inclined to the number of units). . So which one is better? I'm a little confused here. If you're confused to then great, haha :)   # (dog here is referring to a "name")

I do have two option phrase in my mind, first is "Encountered: #{count} times"  or  "Encountered: #{count} units"

So which one is better? Haha sorry for this silly thing. I just can't make up my mind.

Also I don't know which one is used in this challenge, the encounter based times or encounter based units. 

EDIT: Forget that I used the "Encountered: #{count} units" based from the units the player fought.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  14. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I would still go with the accurate count. If you are doing kills or encounters. If you see 3, then it's 3. If you went to the park and ran into 3 dogs.. you wouldn't go home and say hey.. I saw a dog in the park.. you'd probably say.. hey I saw some dogs in the park. Which still indicates you saw more then one. If you want to be ultra specific with encounters, then maybe you could track the times you've encountered a certain formation. Like how many times you encountered 2 dogs and a squirrel in the park vs how many times it was 2 squirrels and a dog. But that would probably be a pain in the butt to keep track of ;) So, personally.. I'd go with encountered (how many times you've seen one) or killed (how many times it has died by the players hands). Maybe you could track both... but I'd still do an exact number of copies.

Anyway, yes I have finished my code as I've spent the last 2 or 3 days trying to figure what I could add to it and coming up blank. So figured it's time to move on to something else. I'm just trying to put some finishing touches on the demo. I like the script and at the same time a little sad there wasn't more original things I could think to put into it. And yes, there's lots of options to play with. Last time I checked the first 319 lines were the script header with instructions and then settings. I ended up writing my own scan skill for it and that took as long as writing the bestiary code did =P

Kes, ?????? and mlogan like this.
  15. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The best and the most simple way would be something like this:
    Encountered: #{count}

Killed: #{count}

Captured: #{count} - ok, ok, this would require an actual function to tie with, or else it would be just a random number on the screen. Just dreaming about something like this here. :D

Or you could go with something like this:

Encountered / Killed

#{count} / #{count}

Both centered in their own little place, so that the '/' signs are at the same place but in 2 lines.

There is no need to put anything after the '#{count}', in my opinion, because those are numbers which indicate the things already described enough (encountered or killed). The player can already see what monster is in the question anyway (they can, right? :D ).

16. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am finding it amusing reading how everyone is progressing on their scripts.

Personally, I have finished the 'main portion' of my code - a mere 4000 lines... Currently working on one of the addon scripts to compliment the main system :)

For the encountered thing, I have went with... a stat for how many times i have killed etc each monster. Then I have 'overall stats' for things like most killed monster, total fights / escapes. I personally, didn't really see the point in keeping track of how many of each monster you have seen in battle, simply due to the way i have set things up :)

sokita likes this.
  17. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would go with the number of enemies too. Then phrase it in your window so that it reads properly.

Gotta love everyone quoting the post before them ... makes the thread SO much easier to read (NOT!) ;)

?????? and JoePro like this.
  18. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It only makes it harder when the quoted post is the full post - and its a long one. ;)

But yea, it would be alot easier to read through the thread if people didn't do this... :D

Anyway guys - Less than a week left now. Hope your all finished/close to finishing your entries. Whenever you have finished - and are sure you are fully finished, remember to pm either myself or Shaz with a link to your working script demo. All the links will be updated once the deadline has been reached (24/08/2014 @ 23:59 GMT)

I cant wait to see what everyone else has come up with :)

19. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ok finally done with all the nit picking, making the demo and going over the instructions.. also added a few script calls just for kicks.

It's kind of weird cause it takes almost as long to make a decent demo as it does to write the instructions and customize section.. which takes as long as writing the script does.

?????? likes this.
  20. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Indeed it does. As long as the demo shows how to use the script features though, i don't think it has to be mega advanced or anything. I mean, people shouldn't really be judging things based on how good the demo looked, but no doubt that will have impact on some peoples votes :(

Anyway, congrats Venka on being the first submitted script :)