Code-Off Challenge #2 [Entries are in, Voting has begun]

Discussion in 'Code-Off Challenge' started by ??????, Aug 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. sokita

sokita Crawling back to the surface Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    May I advise something? if yes, it could be nice if all demo contains its scripter's name, so (at least me), not confused when trying it offline.

If not, it's okay, I will try them anyway.

EDIT: COC#2 give me malware warning. I am using chrome and chrome doesn't let me download it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
  2. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    it's cause it's an exe. There's nothing wrong with any of the projects ;) I think the other two projects are zip files.. but I'm unsure. I don't use chrome on my pc so I don't really know how it works, but if it allows you to by pass and download it, you should be fine. Or just use a different browser to download it.

?????? likes this.
  3. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry for the delay in my reply. I have uploaded a zipped version of the COC#2 script. Sorry for any problems you have had in trying to download it.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/eo9su1ehyxyqys2/COC%232.rar?dl=0

Edit:

So, I finally got round to properly trying out the entries. Here is my feedback :)

FenixFyreX:

I have to say, was a little disappointed with the bugs i encountered. Most have been previously stated, so I wont re-mention them.

One thing I really did like was the implementation of the $imported thing. Nice to see someone use that. Cause I use a different global variable to check my scripts though I dont really see much point myself.

I also particularly liked this :D

note.scan(/<compendium_desc[:= ]+(.+)>/im).flatten[0].to_sAlso liked the way that you structured your script overall. things like putting all the window data in its own module i liked :)

the use of struct was nice too. thats something i have been meaning to investigate, so being able to see it actively used in ruby was very helpful for me.

Overall, the bugs really let it down as it restricted the use of quite a few features, so I have tried to only list the things I liked as I am sure you are already aware of the bugs :)

Venka:

I really liked the layout and design of your scene. It seemed very neat and overall, well put together.

your script had tons of information and the customization was very well documented.

also liked the subtle use of struct in your script. Really have to feel the benefits of struct for myself lol

data = [$data_enemies, $data_skills, $data_items]    data.each do |type|      type.each {|item| item.load_bestiary_notetags unless item.nil?}    end    this could have been reduced to this

($data_enemies+$data_skills+$data_items).compact.each do |item|      item.load_bestiary_notetags    endNothing major really, just a thing you could have done to automatically remove nil elements from the arrays :)

I found your code to be very neat and fully understandable.

Not real flaws really imo.

One thing that both your scripts had in common, which I seen as a major flaw when writing mine and thus, took steps to prevent it.

You both use $data_enemies to determine the information shown such as $data_enemies.params[id] for gaining the value.

This does not give an accurate representation of the enemies actual params and this is why...

If the enemy has a feature, for modifying params (you know, the param mhp*150 sheep in the database feature settings) then even though the base mhp would be 100, having an mhp * 150 feature would increase the enemies actual hp to 150 when in battle. hence, the bestiary does not reflect an accurate representation of the enemy - at least not with regards tot he shown stats.

I combated this by just creating an instance of game enemy and using that to determine the information. :)

Anyway, my vote is in.
    You guys both clearly put in a lot of effort to these scripts, so it was a difficult decision.

From a user perspective, it would be mine (thats why i wrote it the way i did lol).

in terms of understandability, has to be Venka's, and in terms of the code, I would say Fenix's. 

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
    Venka likes this.
  4. Adellie

Adellie NPC Veteran

I only took about 10~20 minutes to look over each of these. (Writing these reviews is probably going to take longer lol.) Praaaactically didn't look at the script, and didn't read instructions. deal wit it. 

Once again, nothing constructive, but I'd feel bad for trying these all out and then not posting any feedback with laziness as an excuse so here goes:

[​IMG]

FenixFyre:

• Very simple and really no setup required.
    • The automatic "Seen At" feature was a pleasant surprise and a big plus for me.
    • The search feature is valuable.
    • Without touching the script, the bestiary lacks sorting, which is ok, but if I could choose one list type it would be newest-to-oldest, otherwise alphabetical.
    • Allows players to keep tabs on npcs (er actors) as well!
    Overall, really easy to use and understand. I feel like this entry would work best in games where the bestiary is a library instead of a to-do list. Or in a game with a lot of recruitment options.

Side notes:

• Has some word/line spacing issues (had to fix group3 in the screenshot), the script also has a kill count issue, and entries seem to persist in new games until you kill your first monster.
    • Your bestiary is the most inviting entry in my opinion. I can't really explain that... @-@; (maybe it's the lack of extra features? ...i feel like someone could build on it without spending a lot of time stripping it down first.)
    [​IMG]

Dekita:

• Visually easy to follow. (I really feel like you could do without the floating text though. It doesn't look tacky yet but its a slippery slope. :p)
    • Categorizing monsters for the monsters is simple, as is adding categories.
    • Libra is neat and shows loads of information.
    • Creative with the re-battle feature. This is definitely my favourite feature in your entry.
    • With the demo, it's not immediately clear how essence/capturing works or what it's for.
    Overall, looks great from a player perspective and is packed with neat features. However, with so much going on, I think I would shy away from using this script in a personal project unless i really wanted the re-battle feature.

Side notes:

• Bestiary seems to start at 50%?
    • I had to worry about dying in your demo. hrrrghhh... D-x 
    • I disagree with Sixth. I thought the information at the bottom of the screen was well organized.
    [​IMG]

Venka:

• Main menu is simple and places focus on completion of the bestiary.
    • UI is just superior, and would still be without the pictures. Navigating your bestiary features entry is so intuitive. I love the "quick swap" option like you did with your first COC.
    • Managed to includes stats, resistances, abilities and rewards in a neat way that you can see in the bestiary or in battle.
    • Changeable descriptions looks extremely useful.
    • Easy to categorize monsters or keep them out of the bestiary using notes.
    Overall, visually the best. And, with all that information, I feel like this script could be very useful to a game where strategy is really needed for certain dungeons/bosses.

Side notes:

• Your demo did a good job of pointing out features like the description changes and <skip>. I'm a lazy person that wants to know whats going on immediately without looking at the script, so thank you for that.
    • The demo has an issue with the npc that say "you killed [] imps".

--

I don't need a bestiary, but thanks again you three for making these!  It's really generous for you guys to spend your time like this.<3  ;_;

If i could make a non-script-related suggestion, i feel like some of the demos in this COC and the previous COC could have been streamlined further. ie. Minimize dialogue and point things out one after another - starting with a super short intro if you must, then notes, then config, then extra features/customization notes. (Pretty much, I'd like a demo to spoonfeed/lead me so I don't have to choose between between talking to 3+ npc/encounter events... @-@; eheh... is it just me?)

Venka likes this.
  5. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I noticed that kill count thing too :) I've since fixed it but haven't re-uploaded the project since all updates should wait till the voting has closed ;) But thank you for pointing it out. I just happened to notice it while I was checking something else out.. not sure how it got changed but it was working at one point.

And on a side note.. I too am a lazy person ;) I rarely ever RTFM and am really surprised when folks get through all the information at the start of a script that explains things. I like to just jump in and figure things out.. then I'll consult the instructions when I get stuck =P I'll work on streamlining the info.

You and Dekita give really good informative reviews. I thank you for that :)

6. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, finally got round to closing the vote on this post and that means : The Results Are In !!

Please check the op for exact details, but congratulations again to  Venka for wining the second challenge in a row :)
    Good job !

Hopefully the next challenge is able to spice things up a little :D

Venka likes this.
  7. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think I'll be doomed if it's not a graphical interface, but I need  practice in other areas :) So I look forward to the next challenge, whatever it may be.

?????? likes this.