Code-Off Script Suggestions

Discussion in 'Code-Off Challenge' started by ??????, May 30, 2014.

?

Should Previous Entrants get to choose the next script?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Keep it as it is

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Someone impartial should choose

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
    This particular thread if to discuss potential scripts that could be written for future Code-Off Challenges.​
    It will also be used to cast votes for the scripts used during future events.​
    Furthermore, if you have any suggestions for how this event can expand, please share your thoughts.​
    There may also be occasional votes for ideas that can be incorporated into future events held within this topic.​

[​IMG]
    These are the rules you must adhere to when making a script suggestion for this event.​
    • Dont say things like 'make a script like [x]' or ''make a script that does this-(while providing a link to a script/system/video)"
    • When making a suggestion, please give an adequate description of what the script should do.
    • Suggestions must be fairly simple concepts. This is to ensure that your suggestion is easy to understand. - I recommend you to keep your suggestion to one paragraph. Chances are, if you cannot explain your system within one paragraph, it will be too complex to consider for this event. Keep in mind - there are time restrictions applied to this event.
    • Do not suggest scripts that are highly specific personal requests for your own project.
    • Do not suggest 'Add-on' scripts. ie. 'An Addon for Yanfly Battle System' or whatever...
    NOTE : If your suggestion breaks these rules it will not be considered for the event. 
     ​
    [​IMG]
    Script - Actor doesn't attack certain enemies during battle.

- Suggested By Archeia

Script - Skills have multiple elements. Element skills have various effects when used, such as; ice element has chance to cause 'freeze' state. - Suggested By Alexander Amnell

Script - Map Enemies / Troops are based on average party level.

- Suggested By cabfe

Script - A "simple" battle system where by...

-you control a character sprite (like the ones walking around the map)
    -you can move up/down/left/right (with the ability to restrict movement to left/right, or up/down).
    -press OK to attack. Could be a simple icon showing up and the target flashing to indicate that it got hit

This should be a stand-alone scene, so that you're not overwriting the existing battle system and consequently forcing any project that chooses to use it, to have to choose between this one or another battle system

Ideally, it should be compatible with most scripts available, including battle systems. At the very least, you should be able to say "Use default battle system" and "Use other battle system" in your project to demonstrate that you can use both battle systems.

- Suggested By Tsukihime.

Script - Multiple Currently Types (extra info)

Allows you to set up exchange rates between different currencies, specify what the currency is in each area, and have shops use the correct currency. Of course you also need a way to track how much of each denomination you're carrying, and a way to exchange funds from one currency to another.

- Suggested By Shaz.

Script - Menu System --

- Highly customizable; needs at least 10 customizable options, at least 3 can be changed in game.

- Cannot resemble the default menu (this is a challenge, remember!)

- Must allow command order to be changed and new commands to be added / default commands to be removed.

- Suggested By FenixFyreX

Script - Generator --

- Needs to be able to generate new maps, with x number of rooms.

- Needs to be able to create maze maps, simple room-hallway maps, and also open-obstacle maps.

- Traps can be auto generated or defined by the user somehow, some way.

- Need to be able to describe 'structures' that can be randomly generated on types of maps, like houses, shops, castle dungeons, etc.

- Suggested By FenixFyreX

Script - What about a journal/diary script (not a quest journal),
    - The player can call it up via the menu, read what's there, or maybe even add their own notes as they play.
    - Could be as simple or as complicated as the scripter likes.

- Suggested By Shaz

Script - Party 'MP'
    - A single AP/MP/whatever bar for all party members/enemy parties.
    - Should be visible from menu and battle

- Should 'unlock' features when filled, such as, party skills, party buffs etc..

- Suggested By Archeia (elaborated on by Dekita)

Script - Learning Skills From Enemies

- Having skills used on you in battle earns you points towards learning that skill.

- Suggested By Sharm

Script - Additional Vehicle Options

- Way to restrict vehicle movement (think carts or trains)

- Have more than default vehicles

- Suggested By Sharm (elaborated on by Dekita)

[ this list will be updated as suggestions are made ]​
     ​
     ​
    [​IMG]
    Suggestion - Entries can be entered into a tier/class, for example - Easy/Medium/Hard, then script entries compete against their own tier. This would encourage script writers of less experience to participate, by submitting their entry into a lower class.​
    Outcome - This could easily be done - proving there is enough interest from people of all script writing abilities.​
     ​
    Suggestion - Various obstacles could be implemented, such as; cannot modify a specific class, cannot use specific methods, submitted script has be under [x] amount of lines or it could even be things that benefit the script user, such as must have over [x] amount of customization options.​
    Outcome - This seems highly possible. it would blend in very well along with having various difficulty levels or tiers.​
     ​
     ​
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
    Venka likes this.
  2. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Like I suggest the wardrobe script sugestion I made in the first topic~ it is a easy script to do and can be really made by multiple way~

3. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That script is still up for voting right now ^_^

If it doesnt win that vote, I will put it back up - along with all other previous suggestions that do not win the vote.

also, dayum dude... you where fast ^_^

nio kasgami likes this.
  4. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    call  me Flash Kasgami~

?????? likes this.
  5. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    A character select scene like in fighting games would be awesome.

?????? likes this.
  6. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm currently scripting one of those for my game entry for the indie Comp :D

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Don't say "like in fighting games". If you want to suggest a script, you need to provide enough detail that a scripter can write it without having to ask heaps of questions.

?????? likes this.
  8. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Haven't seen any "simple" battle systems so I'd like to see a battle system where

-you control a character sprite (like the ones walking around the map)

-you can move up/down/left/right (with the ability to restrict movement to left/right, or up/down).

-press OK to attack. Could be a simple icon showing up and the target flashing to indicate that it got hit

This should be a stand-alone scene, so that you're not overwriting the existing battle system and consequently forcing any project that chooses to use it, to have to choose between this one or another battle system

Ideally, it should be compatible with most scripts available, including battle systems. At the very least, you should be able to say "Use default battle system" and "Use other battle system" in your project to demonstrate that you can use both battle systems.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
    nio kasgami likes this.
  9. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I forgot to add that into the OP. Will fix that now, thanks for reminding me ^-^

@Tsukihime - I will add it onto the suggestion list.

10. BadMinotaur

BadMinotaur You can do it! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think the Bestiary suggestion is pretty clear on its own, but just to be safe, here's a more precise definition:

A bestiary that shows you all of the enemies you have fought. It's a separate scene that lists enemies you have seen in your travels; while what you show is up to you, the basics usually include the enemy's name, their picture, and a description of the enemy. Enemies are added to the bestiary when you first encounter them; whether this reveals their full stats or not is up to you. (if not, then a good feature would probably be adding this info upon defeating the enemy in question)

?????? and Shaz like this.
  11. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Shaz I was trying to be vague to give the scripters freedom on their code.

@Dekita Oh. That's what I wanted the script for also. LOL Guess I will just event one instead then.

12. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BadMinotaur - I updated your suggestion with the additional information :)

@Shin - Unfortunately, none of the scripts suggested within this thread will be written prior to the indie event closing date. They are only really for use during the next / future Code-Off Challenges ^_^

13. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    it remember in some kind of way a game you decide wich type of battle system you want

and mostly compatible with all battle system ...and don't overwrite any part of the default battle system?

Hum I think is easy to do...but the fact to make it ''stand-alone'' reduce is compatibility? because most of battle script use the default battle system.. for basis so if you do a seperate battle script who are totally independant of  the default battle system (who don't use any part of the battle compilation) you have to reimagine each part ~

but Tankentai Enu is for a big part a stand-alone system because most of is configuration and conception is do in the ''sideview'' class (due the reason a lot of script are not compatible)

14. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Maybe. But if you start overwriting the default battle system, that means you can't have it with another battle system that does the same thing without specific patches.

And what if I want to have 3 or 4 different battle systems? (as mini-games, and so on)

?????? likes this.
  15. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've always thought overwriting the default scene was a poor choice. Also, its unnecessarily complex. I find it much easier to simply create a new scene - usually ALOT simpler - and work within that ^_^

nio kasgami likes this.
  16. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Shin, freedom to innovate is good, but one of the rules of this forum is that you can't say "like XYZ game", and that you have to give at least SOME description of what you're thinking of so scripters actually understand what you mean. You have to consider that some of the people taking part may never have encountered a system like the one you're referring to, and they shouldn't have to go looking something up to find out (in fact, one of the original rules was no "like THIS script but better").

?????? likes this.
  17. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Think I will re-apply that rule to be safe :)

18. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    it is depend of how you overwrite it but I admit this totally messy to work with it..unless to make all the script in a on part or two... not they have to separate him in like 6 part it totally annoying to find wich part work with what 

Ho I understand so yes it can be done but do a battle system can be tricky but it can work you sharp a little my atention tsukihime-sempai!

19. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Multi Currency Types

Which allows you to set up exchange rates between different currencies, specify what the currency is in each area, and have shops use the correct currency. Of course you also need a way to track how much of each denomination you're carrying, and a way to exchange funds from one currency to another.

Lots of flexibility to make it a very complex system or a very simple one.

nio kasgami and ?????? like this.
  20. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like that one. Added it to the list ^_^