Code-Off Script Suggestions

Should Previous Entrants get to choose the next script?

• Yes

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Keep it as it is

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Someone impartial should choose

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters

Euphoria

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm almost at 200.... XD

Anyway, just a suggestion for the beastiary since that seems to be a popular idea.

Please make it able to exclude monsters/encounters with a tag, or have some way to order them optionally in an array in the script.

I tried using one before with my encounters kind of out of place, and it just made it look bad.

EDIT: You should disregard the votes and do custom menus anyway. lol.  I think there has only been two custom menu scripts that have actually caught my eye.

Last edited by a moderator:

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yea the bestiary seems the most popular so far.

Once the selected script is chosen a thread will be made for the event. Once that happens feel free to make as many suggestions as you wish :)

I would assume though, that features like that would be included ;)

Well, really a custom menu aint the wisest thing to script right now.. Not with luna right round the corner :p

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What about a journal/diary script (not a quest journal), where the player can call it up via the menu, read what's there, or add their own notes as they play?

Could be as simple or as complicated as the scripter likes.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Multiple Weapon Type for weapon it will be cool to do

because exemple a crossbow is like a mix of a gun and a bow so ....it will be usefull to have this kind of features!

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
A single AP/MP/whatever bar for all party members/enemy parties. Similar to Grand Knights History.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Um... I have 2 ideas

1. Call Troops to Battle

Basically this allows you to collect troops, ie, troops, archers, knights etc, and when you enter a battle these troops are automatically added to the battle window at the Hp of what you've collected. Eg, you have 12 knights, the the knight troop as 12 Hp, you have 57 archers, the archer troop has 57 Hp. And when you leave the battle screen depending on how much Hp you have left is how many troop items you have.

Additional :

Possibility of having an overseer (your on map character) be able to use skills like 'boost morale' etc, without actually being part of the battle scene.

This can mostly be done using pure eventing, so I'm curious to see how it would work as a script.

2. A summoning script...

I'm choosing this because I don't think I've ever really seen one. Where if you summon a creature (monster whatever) it will randomly choose one of two or three moves, appear on screen (the party will disappear) leaving only the enemy and the summons. Preform the move and then disappear.

Or something like that. Interpret at will.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are several summoning scripts around. You just didn't look hard enough ;)

Euphoria

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There's the GF scripts that are like FF8 I believe?

Yami has the Guardian Summon I think?

and was it Fomar with the Aeon Summon?

Sorry for my uncertainty I'm just saying stuff off the top of my head. But I bet one of those calls a summon like you mentioned.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A single AP/MP/whatever bar for all party members/enemy parties. Similar to Grand Knights History.
REALLY like this idea...

Might script it later ;)

If I don't, I will add it to the list :)

With regards to the other suggestions:

@Shaz - Will add it.

@palladincleric - Quite confused by your first suggestion. o you mean like, a battle system where by your 'battle actors' are 'troops', troops consisting of warrior types, like archer, mage, etc, etc.. and when you enter the battle, the 'troops' have hp based on how many of each type you have.  ?

And yea, Yami done GF style party, Fomar done Aeon party and I'm sure i have seen others out there too.

Onomotopoeia

I don't know, nobody's told me yet.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
1. Call Troops to Battle

Basically this allows you to collect troops, ie, troops, archers, knights etc, and when you enter a battle these troops are automatically added to the battle window at the Hp of what you've collected. Eg, you have 12 knights, the the knight troop as 12 Hp, you have 57 archers, the archer troop has 57 Hp. And when you leave the battle screen depending on how much Hp you have left is how many troop items you have.
@palladincleric - Quite confused by your first suggestion. o you mean like, a battle system where by your 'battle actors' are 'troops', troops consisting of warrior types, like archer, mage, etc, etc.. and when you enter the battle, the 'troops' have hp based on how many of each type you have.?
I haven't played anything like what Paladin is saying; but the closest I've come is perhaps with Suikoden II's turn-based army battles. The goal for Suikoden is in gathering 108 "stars of destiny" which are characters of note in the game, but the first few times you are faced with army battles you will have only a small fraction of those.
The army battles happen to advance the plot of the game, so it's not random like the normal party battles on the hero's journey; instead, it's a different way to use all of the Stars of Destiny gained to that point, all together on the strategic field map at the same time. The player's army consist of a number of units, organized by characters with like or sympathetic specializations, up to three Stars per unit.

Combat is resolved in the normal turn-based routine: the AI moves and attacks with one unit on the field map at a time; then the player moves and attacks/defends one unit at a time -- until the battle is won, lost, or tied. Each unit -- enemy and ally alike -- may counterattack, except if the opponent attack is by a ranged attacker, and the defending unit is not, like a typical soldier unit; the ranged attackers can attack from outside the soldier's range, so a soldier would not be able to directly counterattack. But each unit can only sustain about two or three successful hits by an opponent, a critical hit doing double damage. So, the overall length of battles are not so time-consuming; it just takes a bit of foresight and knowing which unit might be killed or sacrificed for the goal.

I think it would be interesting to play some of this type of turn-based strategy/tactics game, at some point in time. If any game has successfully duplicated this game mechanic and is free to play, I haven't heard of it yet. But I'd really love to see some game in the style of Suikoden II, but only if army management and battles could be done well.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yeah, that battle system one sounded VERY specific.

We are not after scripts that YOU want in YOUR game and probably nobody else will make use of. We're after things that would be popular - so not specific, and very flexible so the scripters could come up with completely different implementations of it.

R-Soul

Battle Sonata
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Haven't seen any "simple" battle systems so I'd like to see a battle system where

-you control a character sprite (like the ones walking around the map)

-you can move up/down/left/right (with the ability to restrict movement to left/right, or up/down).

-press OK to attack. Could be a simple icon showing up and the target flashing to indicate that it got hit

This should be a stand-alone scene, so that you're not overwriting the existing battle system and consequently forcing any project that chooses to use it, to have to choose between this one or another battle system

Ideally, it should be compatible with most scripts available, including battle systems. At the very least, you should be able to say "Use default battle system" and "Use other battle system" in your project to demonstrate that you can use both battle systems.
That reminded me of a game I play:

And YES, +Vote for this ^-^

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I voted Custom Menu, though I think Bestiary is also a very good idea.

A few other ideas I had, perhaps for the next Contest:

• Create a script that a designer can easily use to change the look of windows.  The designer should be able to either make each windows look different, change the appearance of windows during the game using script calls, or both.
  • Create a system that simulates "skill checks" from pen-and-paper RPGs.  Flexibility (for the designer), and graphical clarity (for the player) are key merits on which systems should be judged.
  • Create a script that instantiates states, so that, for example, one instance of a "Poison" state can have stronger, longer, or different effects than another.
  • Create any fully-scripted, fully-customizable system where the behavior of skills can be changed in-game by a player's (rather than just a designer's) actions.  (A Materia-esque system would be a great example of one way to approach this, but there are hundreds of other ways to approach it.)
  • Create a basic system for establishing online connectivity.  Either a server-side structure or a two-way connection with another computer playing the same RPG Maker game is acceptable.
Also, I think it would be neat to have small prizes for these contests (maybe like a $50 gift card for the winner?).  If it requires setting up an online "hat" that interested designers can donate to, then so be it.  Maybe people can vote for next month's script contest ideas by donating to one of the script contest choices, making this almost like a "create the best script" bounty.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for your thoughts :p

- Windowskin script like this? > http://dekitarpg.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/d13x-window-skins/

- Dont know what 'skill checks' are. its best to always provide a description because people dont want to have to learn what something is beforehand, they just want to do it :p

- You mean 'damage over time' states - like this? > http://dekitarpg.wordpress.com/2014/05/27/d13x-states-damage-over-time/
Slightly different from having instanced states, but you can as many DOT's as you wish :)

- Systems like that, while they are a fantastic idea, are usually rather complex. For example - no one wanted to script a materia system and someone had to commission victor to simply port an old system. There is just so much work one has to take into consieration and chances are, it wouldnt be possible to create one with as much control as you are suggeting within a few weeks. Script like that usually need a few weeks for testing alone just due to the copious amount of possibilities.

- No! - sorry for being so definite about that, but really, just no.
The idea of this challenge is to encourage people with various abilities to take part. The fact that there are only 2 known ace online systems to date, coupled with the fact one would need server and server hosting knowledge along with scripting knowledge means that the amount of people who could participate would be slim. ALSO - not possible within a few weeks.

I kind of get the feeling you either didn't read the rule suggestions OR didn't care to adhere to them. The reason I feel like this (just in case you are curious) is because you have made a ew suggestions which clearly break the rules for suggestions. example : not simple scripts, requiring code outwith the RPG maker...

Also - not trying to be mean here, its just, the simpler the scripts are- the more people can participate, the more that participate, the larger the event becomes, the more the event can afford to offer the participants :) (one of those knock on effect type deals :p )

Prizes are something that has already been discussed and will likely, be discussed again in the future. Unfortunately, I doubt prizes will be given (at least substantial prizes) until there are a fair number of regular participants. However, I do like your idea of a 'donation hat', not sure how other dev's would feel about donating towards a prize for the best script though...

Soooo...

What does everyone else think about this 'prize hat' donation suggestion? Would you donate?

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi Dekita, thanks for your response.  I want to get it out of the way first that I meant no disrespect to you with my suggestions.

I kind of get the feeling you either didn't read the rule suggestions OR didn't care to adhere to them. The reason I feel like this (just in case you are curious) is because you have made a ew suggestions which clearly break the rules for suggestions. example : not simple scripts, requiring code outwith the RPG maker...
I do care about the suggestions for guidelines, because I do care about this cool contest you've set up.  However, I can't find anywhere in this (or any) topic you say "Suggested scripts have to be simple to do."  You do say that code outside RGSS3 is prohibited, in the actual SCRIPT rules, but I didn't think to re-read that topic before posting my ideas.  I did out-and-out violate the "don't say 'make a system like this game' " guideline in one out of my five suggestions, due to a mental slip - sorry about that.

What I had in mind with the suggestion was allowing the designer to easily control things like default layout for the window, a picture element, etc., as well as stuff things that your script does changing the hue, opacity, etc.  I think a script like yours would be a valid entry in such a contest, but there would be other ways to approach it that might be better or worse.

- Dont know what 'skill checks' are. its best to always provide a description because people dont want to have to learn what something is beforehand, they just want to do it :p
Sorry, I should have described this one further.  'Skill checks' are a common element in pen & paper RPGs (and some video/board games) where a character's stat is used as a modifier for a dice roll or other RNG element when performing a task.  For example, a character is trying to scale a low but icy cliff.  Depending on the game, they might have a specific stat like "Climb" or "Dungeoneering", or they might use a more general one like their "Agility" combat stat.  In the most common form of a Skill Check, they'd be asked to roll a 20-sided die and add their Climb skill.  If the combined total is, say, higher than 16, they successfully scale the cliff's face and reach the top.  If it's between 13 and 16, they slip but catch themselves on the way down, losing some progress, whereas if it's below 13 they fall to the spiky ice below and suffer injuries.

A script implementing this system could either choose to define new attributes for actors to represent their skills, give the designer a way to create attributes, or simply provide tools for converting an actor's already-defined stats into bonuses for Skill Checks.

- You mean 'damage over time' states - like this? > http://dekitarpg.wordpress.com/2014/05/27/d13x-states-damage-over-time/
Slightly different from having instanced states, but you can as many DOT's as you wish :)
Your script looks absolutely awesome!  I don't think it's quite what I had in mind for the Instantiated States suggestion, though, since instances of a state would be able to differ on, for example, the percentage of EXP bonus they grant, or the type of elemental resistance they provide.  I think there are scripts out there that do specific pieces of this, but AFAIK there's nothing that provides this uniform functionality.

Maybe the "polymorphism" in a state would be based on who applied that state, maybe it would be based on who it's applied to, maybe it would be based on the item/skill that applied it - it would be the script writer's prerogative to decide what's best.

- Systems like that, while they are a fantastic idea, are usually rather complex. For example - no one wanted to script a materia system and someone had to commission victor to simply port an old system. There is just so much work one has to take into consieration and chances are, it wouldnt be possible to create one with as much control as you are suggeting within a few weeks. Script like that usually need a few weeks for testing alone just due to the copious amount of possibilities.
I can definitely see what you're saying, and such a script would probably warrant a double-length round of the contest.  But I don't think it's necessarily as hard as you think, since some ways to pull this off would not require scripting an interface.  It doesn't need to be as expansive as a Materia system.  One of the simpler systems I could imagine someone creating would be a script that lets the designer specify global percentages of extra damage to be added to a skill based on how many times the actor has used that skill.

Personally, I think this is one idea that would lend itself really well to a variety of different skill levels and diverse creative viewpoints for script writers!

- No! - sorry for being so definite about that, but really, just no.
The idea of this challenge is to encourage people with various abilities to take part. The fact that there are only 2 known ace online systems to date, coupled with the fact one would need server and server hosting knowledge along with scripting knowledge means that the amount of people who could participate would be slim. ALSO - not possible within a few weeks.
Thinking about this one some more, I'm definitely seeing things your way.  :)   It seemed like a good idea in the moment!

Prizes are something that has already been discussed and will likely, be discussed again in the future. Unfortunately, I doubt prizes will be given (at least substantial prizes) until there are a fair number of regular participants. However, I do like your idea of a 'donation hat', not sure how other dev's would feel about donating towards a prize for the best script though...

Soooo...

What does everyone else think about this 'prize hat' donation suggestion? Would you donate?

I'm glad you like the 'prize hat' idea!  I know I for one would want to sweeten the pot if there was a script contest, or an idea for one, that could help me in my game making.  I hope other devs are thinking along the same lines!

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok wow that was a long reply lol

Its really late here and I have a busy day tomorrow as well, so my reply probably wont be as long as yours ;)

The rule for keeping things fairly simple was one of the initial rules and it was supposed to follow over.
It can be found during the first post here.
I will have to rectify the rules post to properly show this :)

There definetely would be other ways to handle windowskins - for example, my particles script adopts a much better of determining what to do for each scene and is much more customizable, so I may add the window thing on to the list - could be good for scripters to do :p

So basically the skill check thing is to show a dice roll and then determine a value from it ? Pretty sure that could be done fairly easy with events ? I'm not exactly the biggest eventer though lol

The states idea, now that you have elaborated a little more, does seem like an idea that could be added to the suggestions :)

Whilst the skill suggestion is a great one (trust me, i love highly complex systems that offer mass control :p ) I think that the idea might still need to be a little more refined. I mean, leaving room for interpretation is great, but we dont want to leave such a wide space that all scripts are entirely different :D

The prize hat idea is a good one (imo) but it may not be something everyone would be willing to contribute towards (for an array of various factors).
If anything, a prize would help to motivate some folks :p

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Isn't the Luna Engine supposed to allow developers to do all the weird and wonderful things they want with windows?

I'm not keen on the prize hat idea. As Dekita said, we already discussed prizes, and decided against them for now. We have so few people participating and voting right now, I doubt there'd be much interest in donating towards a prize. The moment you add prizes, SOME people will be inclined to do whatever they have to do to obtain it, and the spirit of the event will be lost. If/when we get enough people participating and are happy enough with the judging process that we're confident it wouldn't be abused by people cheating either in the submission or the voting process, we might consider it again.

When you make suggestions, please include an explanation of how the script would work. A one-liner really doesn't convey enough information, and we'd have to come back to you for more details.

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks, Dekita.  I appreciate the response and I'm glad you like some of my ideas now that I've explained them better.  I'll try to come up with a more full set of guidelines/criteria for each feasible idea, if that would help.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's a good idea - if they're fleshed out a little better, they have a better chance of getting voted on, AND it will help the scripters if they're chosen.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, Dekita.  I appreciate the response and I'm glad you like some of my ideas now that I've explained them better.  I'll try to come up with a more full set of guidelines/criteria for each feasible idea, if that would help.
Yea, that would help quite a bit.

I am about to begin updating the rules and guidelines for suggestions. The OP (of this topic) will be updated to reflect this shortly.

Also - I have updated the OP to include some of the new suggestions. (Archeia - I didnt script that party mp feature thing, so I added it to the list - I kinda want to see how others would approach it as well)

Oh yea, and....

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/30637-code-off-challenge-2/

;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

What can I sing for my sisters birthday...?

>.<'
Well, I'll have you know that I'm still around, looking for opportunity to resurface with some stuffs.
I like to think of Profile Posts as tiny homes, full of all kinds of unsuspecting suckers "future" friends.... Many of which are of course only going to be excited when a strange man in black suddenly shows up to say hi. :LZSexcite:
Stream will be live shortly with some more Haunting Ground! Today, we encounter a new stalker! Feel free to drop by!
Tried the new Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus today. Very nice device overall, but flagship smartphone prices are getting completely out of control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thisistheyoshi