Code-Off Script Suggestions

Discussion in 'Code-Off Challenge' started by ??????, May 30, 2014.

?

Should Previous Entrants get to choose the next script?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Keep it as it is

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Someone impartial should choose

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. ElementalLight

ElementalLight Resident Anime Junkie Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
     i have an idea why not do a longer code off challenge and make the challenge a inner battle system similler to the unfinished one for XP 

i think it would provide a fair bit of challenge as the XP version was never finished at all and still had several bugs but i think it would be a neat idea. 

2. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, been meaning to do it for a day or so now...

Anyway, finally got round to updating the OP with a list of rules for suggesting a script. Please look over these rules before making any suggestions.
    Chances are, suggestions that do not adhere to the rules will be politely ignored. The rules are there for a reason after all  :)

Shaz likes this.
  3. ElementalLight

ElementalLight Resident Anime Junkie Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    ohh sorry i posted that like right after waking up and i didnt read the main post for some dumb reason ..... it can be ignored

?????? likes this.
  4. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A battle system is not a simple script that can be done by beginner scripters.

6. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I managed to navigate my way to the like button :)

Zalerinian and Shaz like this.
  7. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm not a scripting person at all, I've only skimmed this thread and I'm not familiar with what already exists. I hope my suggestions aren't dumb.

A system where having skills used on you in battle earns you points towards learning that skill.

A way to have a vehicle that only moves within a specified region. I'm thinking specifically for a mine cart or train.

Something that allows you to have a battle with a party member so that they have the same stats and equipment.

Zalerinian, Shaz and ?????? like this.
  8. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Those suggestions are great Sharm. Exactly the kind of suggestions that we are looking for. Something easy to explain that has potential to be heavy feature rich :)

I have added the first two into the list, so after the current code challenge is complete, it will be up to the community to vote on which script will be made next :D - I am pretty sure there are already a few scripts to create doppelganger type enemies - to replicate current party members :p

Also, I will be giving more than 5 options for the next vote as well, this is because some people votes that the current suggestions difficulty put them off the idea of entering - with more scripts to choose from, that should no longer be an issue. Also, some people votes that 5 options was not enough :p

Anyway...

The current code off is still underway - deadline is 24th of this month for a Bestiary script.

All the details about that can be found using the link below ;

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/30637-code-off-challenge-2/

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  9. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Aww, my sugesstion never took off lol.

For clarification purposes (I did make this via events for something to prove to myself it could be done because I liked the game I found it in a lot).

1. Hero Chronicles. Seriously, play that game and all will be explained. lol.

Seriously though.

1. You collect troops, troops are items in your inventory. so you can collect 99 knights, 53 archers and 76 goblins (for example), this then shows in your inventory.

2. When in battle you (the player character on map) disappears from the battle screen, and instead the troops you have chosen in your inventory (a mon of four or five or whatever) would then appear.

3. the amount of troop items is the HP of the troop itself, therefore if any are lost after the battle, the amount in the inventory is reduced as well.

It's not something that had to be used as a battle system, it could be tailored to a mini game or something for people to play (like chess, checkers, cards (like cardcaptor) or something). I chose troops and battle because that's where I got the idea from.

10. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well I suppose I have an idea that should be easy enough for people to do. A while ago (as in, April 2013), I relaeased my first public script, ZMail (Please, for the safety of your eyes, do NOT look here). I was just thinking about it, and I think that a mail system would be easy enough for beginners to make, but still have a wide range for more and more features.

Requirements:

- Mail (Dur)

- A simple (or complex, if you're feelin' it) UI

- Mail must be added by script call. Other methods are open to your addition

- Don't be a newb like me and make a single class solely for storing a hash that has all the mail in it

I feel this would be a good option because unlike the last two times, the only system you need to really be familiar with is properly creating a UI. Yes, you needed to do so the last two times, but you don't need to poke into the battle system, or Sprites and animations. All you need to do is make a UI, and the rest of the mail system can be designed however simple or complex you want it to be.

Also this will give me an excuse to make a not-crap Mail system, just like I've been meaning to.

mlogan and Venka like this.
  11. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I suggest a weapon upgrade system akin to dark souls.

Explanation:

you can level gear at a blacksmith(+1 -> +2)  with the right materials. And at certain levels the player has a choice of picking a different path or continue on the current path (+3 -> fire or +3 -> +4). Each path can have different maxes if the player so desires and can branch in many ways if the player desires.

I think it would be useful for the community to have something like this. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
  12. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Brand new suggestion

I haven't see it done on RPGM VXAce yet either.

A few people are making animal crossing fan games. and in that game you go draw little designs in squares to make a t-shirt pattern design.

This would be an epic feet if done in ace. The able sisters would want it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
  13. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really like the mail system idea. It would be fun to see what extra features people come up with and different layout designs. And, I *might* just be as to participate. :p

Zalerinian likes this.
  14. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    me too! it has so many possibilities. I am trying to get finished a lot of requests I have so I feel like I have free time.. so I'm probably opting out of the next code off unless it something simple.. but I gotta tell you.. if it's the mail system.. all my requests will have to wait another month cause it just sounds crazy fun to make ;)

Zalerinian likes this.
  15. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys, 

I've recently been having a think about some things that could be done in order to increase the amount of participants within each challenge.

So I have not yet put any new suggestions into the list.

Also, I have put up a vote for how certain things should run.

I think it would be very fair for recent participants to choose the next script and for the features allowed to be restricted. This is mostly to avoid people (me included) from going overboard on features and should (in theory) mean everyone is actually gong to write similar scripts - which was the point of this challenge to start with :D

Anyway, your thoughts on that>?

16. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My only thought is that if recent scripters are the ones to choose the next script, could we end up with a situation where scripts are getting more and more complex, making it unattractive for beginner/intermediate scripters to participate?

17. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Shaz, yea I understand that concern. Thats why I am thinking of making future entrants required to only make 'the script' rather than 'this cool system'.
    Dont get me wrong, i am also guilty of that. But i think it may have put some folk off and if the scripters where to choose, it would likely be a 'group meeting' where the easiest script was chosen along with a ruleset for the script (and you would have also likely been invited to peruse the convo :p )

I'm just trying to explore some methods of obtaining additional participation. I mean, I have been putting alot of effort into the two challenges thus far, as have Venka and Fenix Fyre (and yin - who unfortunately never made the deadline). So I think by everyone agreeing to calm down on excessive features and such, more people are likely to participate.

I also feel it would result in more similar scripts - which are better for code comparison. Like, theres only so many ways you can for example 'write a mail system' which seems to be the recent popular suggestion. But if people like me where left to it, it would end up some crazy ass messaging system that a bi-product is sending mail lol :D

18. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I was talking in PMs with someone for most of the day and weather scripts came up. I was thinking that would be fun to script too and doesn't sound too hard to do.

A basic weather script with different types of weather shouldn't be too hard and bonus features such as weather effecting the players stats or skills in some way could be add ons added later after judging happens. I know personally the last contest was really hard to vote on because the bonus features were so neat and so different. Or it'd be a good way to teir the ranges.. so entry level scripters could try for a basic script. Intermediate scripts could try for some bonus features and advance scripters could have some restrictions (or a shorter deadline which would also reduce the time to come up with bonus stuff). For me that was part of the problem for the last one. It wasn't something that was really hard to code so I kept trying to think of ways to make it better/different. Where the first challenge was really outside of my comfort zone and it took me a while to come up with what I did. And it was a good growth thing for me as I learned a lot from it and has helped my coding a lot. But to really implement teirs, there'd have to be more participants.

I've thought about suggesting a farming/crop management type of script a few times but have held off on it because I think it'd be too complicated. I can't even think of how to go about building one, but it might appeal to others that mess with those systems more.

anyways.. ramblings off now ;)

?????? likes this.
  19. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just create some kind of child to 'Game_Event' class or something and then create 'events' on the map that are comment tagged with something to determine their growth rate and items gained etc.

The main problem with that kinda script though is more the realtime system that would be required, so its basically two scripts that the user would need to write :p

20. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I really like Venka's suggestion of a weather script which affects the player's stats.  I've seen this done (very well, too) in a couple of XP games, that probably used Zeriab's scripts.  There it was called geomancy.  However, I don't recall seeing it done in Ace.  It would help to give more strategy to the game, and if it could include terrain, it would make better use of the various standard dungeons - ice, fire etc.