RMMV Coffee Crawl (Roguelike)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by vectorinox, Jan 26, 2018.

1. vectorinox

vectorinox Airport Luggage Veteran

First Language:
    Singlish
    [​IMG]

Congratulations! Humanity has finally achieved world peace!
    Because all humans on the planet right now are currently sleeping.

It has been three days since the strange phenomena happened. People and animals, starts of drowsy, and then began to fall asleep regardless of where they are, in the traffic, on the field, during work hour, or in the mall. Even the earth itself become stagnant, one side of the hemisphere stuck in daylight while the other side stuck in nighttime.

By the third day, only a handful of people left who are still awake, suppressing their urge to sleep with caffeine. The rest show no sign of waking up no matter what the survivors do. Anarchy run rampant as some of the survivors seize control of the city, nobody know what to do, and nobody know what is the cause of all this. All they know is falling asleep right now is equivalent to death.

But someone certainly know what is going on. Somewhere in the world, stuck in a night, a group of survivors discovered a massive portal that engulfed part of their city. And together, they form a coalition to tackle the current situation, find the source, and put an end to this peaceful night so they can go back to sleep.

But what do you care? You're just a waste collector who happened to be awake. Nevertheless, as a survivor you're invited to the their meetings......

FEATURES
    This game is a ROGUELIKE made using RPG Maker MV. It does not play like the usual RPG, as such is focused more on gameplay than storyline. (If you are not familiar with roguelike: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike)
    • Permadeath - your character have but one life, a single death and that's it. You WILL lose all progress and start back at the beginning. But you will earn unlocks depending on your performances.
    • Randomly generated levels - not procedural generation, just plain random (RMMV cannot support the former). So you can have a high replayability value since no two playthrough will be the same, but the room layout will stay familiar.
    • Simple & fast-paced - all combat is done simply by bumping your enemies, there is no turn-based battle window scene in this game. You will fight enemy as they appear on screen. No aiming required. You just have to know when to retreat, and analyse the current situation.
    • Class & quirk - these determine your starting stats and abilities. Mix and match the two of them.
    • Scaling difficulty - enemy will scale with time. So spending too much time in a single level is unwise, this is a form of anti-grind. You have to keep going!
    • Perpetual gameplay - this game has no ending (because I haven't made it yet), so you will keep cycling back and go on and on until you finally die or give up. At least you get to keep your high scores.
    • Coffee - seriously, this is the main theme of this game. You need to keep watch of your caffeine meter at all time. Be deprived of caffeine and your character will suffer penalty before eventually falling asleep (dead).

SCREENSHOTS
    [​IMG]
    ^Pack your bag and carry a pickax.
    [​IMG]
    ^Ignore my character name.
    [​IMG]
    ^A hospital map infested with alien and zombies. Perfectly normal if you're high on caffeine.
    [​IMG]
    ^Girl, this house is unsettling and you are creepy.
    [​IMG]
    ^Keep powering up by collecting novelties.
    [​IMG]
    ^The gameplay is super easy and fast-paced. You just bump into the enemy until they die.
    [​IMG]
    ^What can I get for 8 dollar?
    [​IMG]
    ^I borrow money from this guy and never plan to pay it.

MEET YOUR PEERS
    [​IMG]
    • Just like you, these people are survivors who made it through the night without sleeping. You will frequently encounter them as you play. You can befriend them, partner them, ignore them, or piss them off.
    • Each peer has their own place which they hang out, provide different perks when befriended , offer different services, has their own set of abilities which you can learn from, has different tendency to hate you, and speak their own languages which you might not understand.
    • If you played "Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup", which is the main inspiration for this game, you should be familiar with its pantheon system ( you worship a god and they give you powers ). The peers are just that, except they aren't god so they won't smite you if you abandon them, and you can associate with multiple peers at once.
    • Also, this isn't a dating sim. There is no romance option in this game.
    COLLECT NOVELTIES
    [​IMG]

• Novelty provide various bonuses upon pickup, most come with drawback. These are the main method for your character progression. You don't need to equip them, there's no equipment window in this game. On the bright side, you can keep stacking all novelty bonuses until your power level went through the roof.
    • If you played game like "The Binding of Isaac" or "Risk of Rain", you should be familiar with this system. Start off slow and become near godlike in the end.

TO DO LIST
    The game has been in development for 2 years with 18 month spent on procrastinating (seriously, I need help with my writer's block). The game is pretty much playable in its current state. Only the following left to do:
    • Complete peer missing text.
    • Add an intro cinematic.
    • Add some victory condition.
    You guys can help by providing feedback, criticism, and reporting bug, once the beta version is out.
    PS: Any fans of roguelike out there?
    CREDITS
    Marimo
    Aekashics
    Pandamaru
    Hiddeonone
    Bokou
    Avery <- wants copy
    Kadokawa
    Degica
    SkottyTV
    Leanne
    7Soul1
    Game-icons.net
    Sei Mutsuki - PeriTune
    amachamusic
    CityShrimp
    Procraftynation
    Modern Algebra
    LadyBaskerville
    Estriole
    Izyees Fariz
    Moghunter
    Mr. Trivel
    mrcopra
    kuoushi
    mjshi
    Quasi
    Yanfly
    TOMY (Kamesoft)
    PrimeHover
    SumRndmDde
    Galv - galvs-scripts.com
    Hime - HimeWorks (http://himeworks.com)
    HUDell - www.hudell.com
    Kadokawa
    Degica
    ACQUIRE
    BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

INSPIRATIONS
    Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
    The Binding of Isaac
    Risk of Rain
    LOAP - Life of a Peasant
    Tale of Maj Eyal
    ADOM
    Runestone Keeper
    Warlock of Firetop Mountain
    Path of Exile
    Zettai Hero Project
    Eternal Senia
    Civilization 5
    Clicker Heroes

DOWNLOAD?
    Just need to set up a distribution package. I'll upload the beta version soon if you guys don't mind missing text.
    UPDATE: Download link is now up. Go to the linked page and click "download" on the top right.
    UPDATE: Download link removed for ceremonial reason.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Aeonex, Guiguimu and WereWorld like this.
  2. WereWorld

WereWorld DDreamsGames Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks awesome!
    Can't wait to try it, can you export a Mac OSX version as well? :)

vectorinox and Guiguimu like this.
  3. vectorinox

First Language:
    Singlish
    Thanks! And about MAC version.... that will take up my cloud storage space. I probably add it on my next update.
    You're the guy behind Dungeon Dreams right? Glad to see someone with the same interest!

WereWorld likes this.
  4. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This looks good, and I like your art style, subscribing this. Internet is currently suck at the moment, but I will try this later

vectorinox likes this.
  5. kaiijuu

kaiijuu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    oh this sounds interesting~

vectorinox likes this.
  6. WereWorld

WereWorld DDreamsGames Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, that's me =)

Aw, too bad, I really wanted to try it. I'll keep an eye on the next updates, then.

Thank you!

vectorinox likes this.
  7. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've tried this in other day, and forgot to put a comment. I liked the style as I expected, but the problem with this game is it just lag too much. I played other RMMV game, and it's not as laggy as this. And it also an ABS (is this game even ABS though, the battle it just bump onto the foe). On map, it took around 30's FPS, while in menu, it's clean 60 FPS. I wonder why. Also opening the menu took seconds to load. Playing like this is not really comfortable. Sorry, but I had to close after 30 minutes of playing

vectorinox likes this.
  8. vectorinox

First Language:
    Singlish
    Did you turn on the Synch Monitor FPS in the option?

9. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I didn't remember changing anything in option. So it was likely to be a default setting. But I will try to look at it later

10. Freank

Freank Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    it looks nice!

11. Zarsla

Zarsla Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Very nice, there is random map generator for MV though. You could have put in your game, but very nice nonetheless.