Cold Desert

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, not ice cream, that's a cold dessert (sorry, I couldn't resist). I am unsure of how to go about mapping a this area. I know its going to be pretty barren, but I'd like to have some little bits here and there. Mainly so that I'm not just wandering around a big empty space. I have a few icy things I can use from the dungeon tiles, but they don't really seem to fit. I have the town and dungeon figured out, but the larger area is just so empty. Maybe some icy patches, or some snow?

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate it :)

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess it would depend on what exactly you are going for. When you say could desert, do you mean like, frozen tundra? It's hard for me to picture, because in my mind, desert is sand and such, which, they can get quite cold at times, but that would still be mapped differently than say a tundra.

But, something like a tundra, well, it is full of vast empty space, to my knowledge. Perhaps you could put small cliffs here and there and like, what I would call "crags" - big cracks in the ice. Could even add a gameplay aspect, have to figure out some way to get across.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, a desert with sand. Just cold. Its an area far north and it stays cold.

JGreene

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Which engine are you using? If it's MV, then Yanfly's Doodads is very useful in helping to fill otherwise empty spaces. You can even tint and recolor those graphics. There are also plenty of resources available from fellow developers. You can even edit your tilesets to your liking with an external program.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Technically, deserts are hot at day and cold at night, due to where they occur naturally and the way the environment works. So realistically they would still have the same plants and such (like cacti and trees). Oasis would also exist still, regardless of temp.

BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Also, be wary of icy tiles... A desert is not defined by hot or cold temperatures. A desert is defined by a lack of humidity (rain, dew, etc). As such, you won't see much ice.

Try making it the way you would a hot desert, but add a very low opacity blue tint to the screen. That might convey "cold."

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It sounds like you want a tundra. Look up the Antarctic tundra and it's features, that should give you some idea's.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok thanks, I think I have some ideas. This is kind of a strange area in that it stays cold always. I was thinking of adding some icy stuff but I think I have some other things I can use that will work better

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think they mean something like this:

http://www.pakistantoursguide.pk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Cold-desert-at-dusk.—-S.M.Bukhari.jpg

A desert that is sandy, yet still very cold with no snow to be seen except many in surrounding mountainous areas, only in the game world, without mountains.

I recommend using the RTP desert tiles you already see and just changing the hues a bit to reflect a slight blue coloration, but not completely oversaturating it to look like it's ice. Like a dulled, blue, sandy color. Add in edited snow/ice covered rocks and things and you should be golden.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@djDarkX Its funny you say that because I have snowy mountains directly north of this area! My biggest problem has been trying to find some stuff make it not so empty, and maybe give the player a sense of where they are so they wont hate wandering around.

Henryetha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Well... I would take a "dirt" tile, stretch it, recolor it and make it half transparent.
This various times and fill the desert with it.

- varied opacity (sth between 10-50%)
- x/y stretching no limits/restrictions)
- recoloring into different tones of grey, blue, brown

So you won't have "stuff" on ur desert, but it wouldn't look all the same aswell.

For even more variance you could even use different dirt tiles (in different original forms). But I doubt it's necessary, doing the steps mentioned before.

This edit is easily made with doodads, JGreene mentioned before.

Eviticous

Node Js Developer By Trade, FF14 Player By Heart
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you thinking of a tundra? There's usually very few and far between bushes and dead trees from a time long lost. There will be hills of sand or general land. It's basically barren

Henryetha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
This as example, I only made this in a few minutes, to show what I mean..
When putting some effort into it (and recolering properly the RTP sand) it can look beautiful I think.
Anyway, only 1 dirt tile was used for it, opacity by 10-20%, mainly blue and brown colors.. tried grey, didnt look so well.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Henryetha Thats so pretty! Im really set on using the regular sand though :(
I've been playing with the colors in gimp and I think I have a look to it

Sarah79

Irresponsible Captain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think they mean something like this:

http://www.pakistantoursguide.pk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Cold-desert-at-dusk.—-S.M.Bukhari.jpg

A desert that is sandy, yet still very cold with no snow to be seen except many in surrounding mountainous areas, only in the game world, without mountains.

I recommend using the RTP desert tiles you already see and just changing the hues a bit to reflect a slight blue coloration, but not completely oversaturating it to look like it's ice. Like a dulled, blue, sandy color. Add in edited snow/ice covered rocks and things and you should be golden.

I agree with this post, and find it helpful since I had a similar question.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I remember once when I was at Disney's Animal Kingdom and I got to dance with some of the cast members! It was so much fun! After the show my dad and I got frozen lemonade and some ice cream. It makes me feel better remembering the good things about my dad... maybe I will return to Orlando.
spending almost entire day to mod skyrim but it still couldn't run properly :(
My friend has become one with the glitter. @ImaginaryVillain, got any room in the Cult of the Sporkle?
I still cannot wrap my head around how to edit and use arrays in RPG Maker MV o_O
Gamemaking has been slower, but I do my best to make small progress every day. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthew_skull