Collecting objects in an RPG Maker game?

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you collect objects like coins in an RM game? Would that be a good feature? If so, please tell me about it. How would it work?

Froggo32

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmmm...its pretty common feature, I think? You just place an event and make an...event with it. Like you have to collect 100 buckets in order to unlock the premium KFC Bucket Boss. You just place buckets all over the place and make an event where you touch them, and tey disappear after that and theyre added to your Bucket List...

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Thank you.

I assume you're asking people to tell you how to do it. It isn't clear if you just want a discussion of what form collection quests could take.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz No I am asking of what form collecting the items could take, not how to do it. Please return the topic to Game Mechanics.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no worries - done.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are tons of games that do this that you could look to for ideas.

Sometimes it's nothing but an achievement. Other times it leads to turning in the items for a unique weapon or something, or unlocking a party member or dungeon.

Is that what you're asking?

AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did this in my last game. It was just for an end-game achievement. I placed 8 hidden gems around all of my maps and set a conditional branch with variables and a message indicating how many of the 8 you found.

Nenen

Untested RPG storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You might want to check out the term 'Collectathon'
(here's a search https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?search/1498973/&q=collectathon&o=date )

or even specifically this Topic:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Definitely possible. I've played several RM games that had collectables. They usually end up giving you a reward if you collect them all or 90% of them. Then at the end right before the credits they tend to mention how many you have found, so you can do better next time/see how many you missed.

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
you should learn from GTA Series,many varieties to do the collecting in order for 100% completion

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Something like DQ always did since III, I like collecting mini medals because the prize is quite worth like weapon that cant be found at store or special armor etc. also the collection was tier based, so u got your prize immediately when you reach some numbers.

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You could use collecting things in a dungeon. For example, activate 8 switches or something like that in order to open the boss door. You have to set it as a variable within a conditional branch on the door event. So that if, and only if the 8 are activated will the door open, if not, the player gets a message which tells them that they have more switches to activate.

Step one: make a variable called switches (0-8)
Step two: In the event, make a conditional branch where if the value of the variable is less than 8, the player gets a message that they need to activate more switches. If the value is equal to 8, the door opens.
Step 3: Play a SE and animate the door turn left, wait 3 frames, turn right, wait three frames, turn up. Activate self switch A, and then make a second event page.
Step 4: When you've made it, click the checkbox at the side for self switch A is ON, and choose the open door graphic. Make sure you set the priority as below characters, otherwise your player won't be able to go through the now opened door.
Step 5: Test play your dungeon, to make sure that the variable and conditional branches are working as they should, if they aren't then you have to go back and find out where your mistake was.

You can use this for lots of things in your game. You could add mini games of luck, for example random dice rolls where you need a specific number to win gold. You can use it for main quests too, like say, you have hidden items all over your world and the player must collect them as they explore different areas and dungeons. You can even use it to make chests give random prizes. You're only as limited as your imagination and what you are learning to do in the game engine. I've only been using this program for a short time, but I am impressed with what I can do with it and I admit I only know the basics.

You can even edit things like iconset (PLEASE ONLY DO THIS IN YOUR PROJECT FOLDER, NOT IN THE RTP) to add extras if you're willing to do a bit of pixel art. This way you can add additional items you may want in your game which aren't in the default stuff. I added a fishing rod this way, and used a variable and nested a load of conditional branches to create a fishing common event. Seriously, don't feel limited to what the defaults are.

My point is, it is very important to get a good grasp on both variables and conditional branches, because it will serve far more than just the kind of collectible you want in your game, it is needed for so many things.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Heh, um. I've spent $1500~ so far for my game. Most of that went into purchasing some software I need, as well as some commissions. But still, I didn't realize I had spent so much since the beginning of October.

Do not trust me with money, lol.
Working on my first ideas for a tileset... I really don't know if anyone would like or even want my style.

k5a4BHk.png
Plus-size sprite continues! Front and back views done, or at least mostly there depending on if there's any more work you all think she needs. Once I get her done I can get working on her masculine counterpart:
PlusTest-03.gif
My game is basically turning into a 2 on 2 fighting game disguised as an rpg lol. here's eveyone doing their own intro in battle.
Sizzle sizzle sizzle...
zbf1dCZ.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peachdelta