Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have several different "schools" of Magic (like holy, dark, nature, chaos, arcane magic, etc.) in my RPG, with each filling different roles in combat and the overworld. The thing is, player-characters can learn spells from any school.

To keep the battle menu uncluttered, I also consolodated all of the Magic spells into a single "Magic" command in that menu by keeping them all as the same "Skill Type" in the database.

However, since they all are available on the same "Magic" list, I'd like them to be visually distinct based on the school of magic that they come from so players have an easier time finding what they're looking for.

Also, I'm already using the skill icons as a way to convey the general effect of the spell (like a cross for healing effects, poison bubbles for DOT effects, etc.), and I don't want to sacrifice those.

An alternative could be color-coding them with text-colors, or possibly some kind of colored border around the spell name and icon, so they can be identified in a simple way. If anyone knows of a way to do this with the default VXA engine, or a script, it would be immensely helpful.

RCXGaming

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have several different "schools" of Magic (like holy, dark, nature, chaos, arcane magic, etc.) in my RPG, with each filling different roles in combat and the overworld. The thing is, player-characters can learn spells from any school.

To keep the battle menu uncluttered, I also consolodated all of the Magic spells into a single "Magic" command in that menu by keeping them all as the same "Skill Type" in the database.

However, since they all are available on the same "Magic" list, I'd like them to be visually distinct based on the school of magic that they come from so players have an easier time finding what they're looking for.

Also, I'm already using the skill icons as a way to convey the general effect of the spell (like a cross for healing effects, poison bubbles for DOT effects, etc.), and I don't want to sacrifice those.

An alternative could be color-coding them with text-colors, or possibly some kind of colored border around the spell name and icon, so they can be identified in a simple way. If anyone knows of a way to do this with the default VXA engine, or a script, it would be immensely helpful.

So off the bat I have a few good offers based on what I've already been using for my games.

#1: Modern Algebra's Global Text Codes - This will allow you to set things like color codes (\c[x]) in whatever part of the database you want. This will also allow you to bypass the text limitations of the system with "replacement codes". So if you have a skill you want to be a certain color you can do it like this:

\*\c[2]Aura Saber > will show up as Aura Saber in fights

#2: Himeworks Skill Type Groups - If you're worried about space for skills, this will allow you to put different skills in the same category. I.e a skill tagged as Arcane Magic will appear in the general Magic skill group.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Excellent. I'm still curious about alternatives, but having testing these out, they seem to solve the problems I'm having. Thanks!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes I wonder if I feature creep... 225 magic spells is a lot lol.
Being hit with nostalgia for something that's gone is both a great thing and so sad.

But being a creative means having ideas for bringing stuff back to life, which can be frustrating and rewarding in it's own right.
the urge to comment helpful things on forum posts but not using the same engine
It's my Party and I'll cry if I want to. The best b-day present I could have is if my mapper came back. No idea where he went.
Senary_Redesign.png
Updated Senary's design (left). The previous one is overdesigned and her lack of functional pants is distracting and undermines her as a strong female character. She now has compression shorts, shorter hair, and a loose-fitting shirt for a modern look. She was lacking the authority of her original design, so I gave her military cap with her namesake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benkingclub