Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So I posted this screenshot of a concept map that I would like to expand on in the screenshots thread and @ksjp17 recommended I extend the conversation to this section (I think) to further discuss some of the feedback I was looking for.

I was looking for feedback on color palettes because pink for me is a challenging color to deal with. I googled offsetting colors and came up with yellows, blues, and grey in some of the websites I visited. My idea was to offset the pink trees with ground clutter. Color palette advice would appreciated on how I should approach this.

@ksjp17 also recommended editing one of the trees that has a hard edge. The tree in question I believe is the darker pink tree since it looks like it has a solid outline. I was recommended to soften the edges. I use Photoshop and I would consider myself a novice with it. I put it to work with resizing, clumping, repositioning, and "easy" recolors where I just change the hue of the image. So softening an edge I will take recommendations on as well.

The future of the map will be a slightly scaled up version. I just wanted to play with some assets and see what worked well together before I started making the tile sheet.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't think that tree needs to be softened, but I think the saturation and possibly hue is off.  It's looking a bit unnatural and is clashing with the other slightly more purple pinks.

I agree with the suggestion of grey if you need another color.  You've already got a high contrast color scheme of green and pink, adding more colors to that scheme would just confuse it, not make it more interesting.  If you MUST have a color, I suggest a shade of green between the yellowish shade of the grass and the turquoise water.

There's already a lot going on though, adding more to this might not work.  Negative space is a good thing in art.

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanksgiving is over and it's back to hobbies. Still got Thanksgiving though with the girlfriends family tomorrow, we ate with mine yesterday. Double the food comas this week.  :headshake:

Thanks @Sharm for the input. The tree asset that keeps coming into question I will probably just omit, and I'll stick with the other 2 to keep things simple.

It's not that I needed more colors, and rather I was looking for "yes, you need more," or "no you're fine, work with what ya got."

I have no clue how to tie grey into this even if I wanted too! I'm also not sure how to approach your idea of adding the shade of green between the mustard grass and the water. Are you implying change the shade of the lighter green grass tile itself underneath? Or add the grass sprout assets around the edges of the water to break it up maybe? I'm just picking your brain for ideas at this point!  :popcorn:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Nah, I was just answering the question you actually asked, about what color to add.  I honestly think you have plenty of color, you don't really need more.

If you wanted to tweak things more, you could take the browns and make them grayer.  That would simplify the scheme a bit.

cavemanK

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I also think you should be mindful of what you want the player/viewer to feel!

Spoopy

Web Developer, PHP, NodeJS, RubyOnRails, Sass, HTM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You could try using the free online tool Abode Kuler

Change the Color Rules setting, then just paste the hex values of your pink in the middle section, it will automatically display colors that work with that shade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I should have listened to RPGMAKER Meme thread. I should have backed up my data. The Orphan of Time, my WIP, is completely gone, all those hours of work are completely gone :(
God what was my life before smartphones (I had a grandma's phone before wednesday)
Stream will be live shortly with The Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by!
I have a specialized class on intellectual property this semester (on Patent and Trademarks, Copyrights is next semester). Only had a quick overview of that in previous business law classes. I'll be able to help more people here when it comes to knowing what to do and your rights for intellectual property!
When you wanna write another pedantic post of your views on game dev... but your cousin and aunt have invited you to bowling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leproso911