RMMV Combat mechanics and qtes

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by Miropepo, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Miropepo

Miropepo Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok so hopefully I'm posting this in the right thread this time haha. So I've been working on ideas and concepts for years now. And now I wanted to share a vid I made of the combat for a game I've been working on, which is inspired by one of my favorite rpgs Paper Mario.
    The combat uses both QTE's like you've seen in Paper Mario and ability to block a lil damage if timed right when the enemy attacks. Also showing off in the video is the tactic ability to move on the map. Being closer to the enemy will cause who ever is there to be attacked by 'melee' attacks, pretty giving you more control on who is attacked by what. Certain moves will also have more priority, example is shown by the enemies only attack the ones closer to them first since they use melee moves.
    Thoughts and feelings towards it as well as the character designs? And yes I know there's no sound. Want to add it's own music for it, but I'd like to share what I have right now.

The video also shows two of my characters, Joseph and Amelia. Both have been exiled from the general population of the trash island they live on, for various reasons. Amelia was exiled because she is a huge kleptomaniac, while Joseph? No one knows, but it was big enough that he was the first to be exiled despite his slightly goofy nature. Their clothes are meant to be colorful and mismatching because they've lived on a trash island their entire lives. Fashion is wasted on them. And these are them in my usual art style. Thoughts and opinions?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    lianderson and Rehjul like this.
  2. Junebug

Junebug Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    That looks interesting! How did make QTE's? Is there a plugin on did you make it all yourself? The clown is my favorite.

3. Miropepo

Miropepo Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, took some time but I used Sumrndm plugins and Yanflys action seqs to make them. You can find them http://sumrndm.site/ and http://yanfly.moe/. And thank you=)

4. GeraldTyler

GeraldTyler Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm personally a fan of in battle QTEs as long as they're:
    A) Consistent
    B) The attack still deals normal damage of the QTE is missed, but either applies extra damage or an effect of successful.
    C) Quick. For a normal attack say 3 button presses max. Then for a limit attack have say 7 buttons. You'll want to remember that the player is going to be seeing this hundreds of times, so if they're poorly done it'll quickly become annoying.
    D) No button mashing (Pressing the button as quickly as you possibly can) or joystick spins, as they only serve to wear out your controller.
    E) Defensive QTEs can be rewarding as well. So there might be a flash when the enemy attacks and the player has to quickly choose to press Left/Right to dodge it, Shift to parry it, or X to block it.

I'll provide more opinions later, I'm not able to watch that video on my phone for some reason