redspark

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm looking at creating a Sci-Fi RPG that involves Ship to Ship battles.    What is your preference for turn-based battle style?

• Traditional top-down turn based.  Player chooses action for each crew member based on their assigned station on the starship.
  • Casual Match-3.  I kinda like this style even though others are not fond of it.  Would it prevent you from playing it, even if the match-3 nature was very integrated into the ship's design and technology so that it doesn't break the fantasy of the game?
  • Card-Based.  (Similar to Guild of Dungeoneering where the deck is based on the equipment equipped)  I'm also partial to this style but to me, I think of this as more fantasy related and would have to change the terminology a bit in order to give it a Sci-fi feel so it doesn't cause a break the feel of the game.
Let me know what you think or if you have questions or suggestions.  Thanks.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'll give you a vote of no for the casual match 3 idea. I've played games that did that, and you can lose battles due to dumb luck and never getting the match you need to win. Since most people hate the idea of RNG deciding battles for them in RPG games, I'd stay away from match 3 for that reason alone.

redspark

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
What if the player had more control over what gems were going to be produced based on equipment and upgrades of the starship?  Would that be more appealing?

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
first option sounds the most interesting (and original).

But please make sure casual does not mean brain-dead easy.

The best casual games are generally not easy but instead simple to understand (ex: flappy-birds is hard yet simple).

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Traditional turn-based is fine, but a card system would be more unique, and maybe more fun.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Card system would be awesome, and totally doable in sci fi settings.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, I think you're onto something with the card-based system.  Maybe if the starship parts determine the cards that are in your deck, the crew members and their experience levels determine what you can *do* with those cards (play them, combo them, discard them, exchange them, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:

redspark

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
That was similar to my idea for the card system.  Basically, each piece of equipment on the ship has a list of cards ranging from small effects to greater ones as well as some cards for blunders.  The skill level of the crew member that is assigned to that equipment determines the window into that range of cards that will be added to the deck.  Also the higher skill will reduce the number of blunder cards added to the deck.  Upgrades on the equipment determine the cards' values / modifiers to its effect and cool down times.  Even the configuration of the ship may give special passive bonuses or effects simply from its design or upgrades installs to the hull.

Discarding a card from your hand allows you to access specific skills of the crew members such as engineering to repair damaged systems, Navigation to take evasive maneuvers, etc..  The value of the card that you discard may add bonuses or negatives (in the case of a blunder card) to that skill.  So if you want that skill to work well, use a good card.

Although I have a lot more written down, that is basically the idea for the system.  I've never designed a card system before but I hope it is a good start.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

unnamed_image.jpg
SOMEONE'S SINGLE! HE DOES LIKE LONG WALKS IN THE IN THE SHADOWS AND THE SMELL OF DECAY. SADLY, HE HAS NO NUMBER TO NOTE OF BECAUSE HE HAS NO USE FOR A PHONE, BECUASE SUMMONING WORKS MUCH BETTER AND DOES NOT COME WITH AN ITEMISED BILL. REMEMBER TO TREAT HIM GOOD ON THE FIRST DATE!
I just found out that MZ regional price on Steam in my place is much cheaper than MV.
Our water started to work again, now i don't have to fill up our toilet with water again.
Finally able to return to work after months of lockdown. My poor feet are hurting :( I need to get used to working again haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RhetCon