Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I read there's a script somewhere that can do that? I'd copy the event, but I need it to only run once for both tiles...

Weremole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
I think you have to describe it in more detail. If you need it to only run once in general just turn on a regular switch. Self switches only apply to that event alone.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I tried with an if, then, else, but such a simple event turned out so unnecessarily complex, with two items switching on, and then I'd probably need to use some global variable to disable it after a while... surely there's an easier way to have the same event on more than one tile...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried with an if, then, else,
the suggestion above was not to use an conditional branch - this switching is usually done by page conditions.

two suggestions:
1) show us a screenshot of what the event is at the moment and what it is supposed to do
2) pause working on your game to really work through some tutorials on eventing, because your questions show that you are really new and missing some basics.

yes, it will take you several weeks to a month to really learn the engine and the editor - but you need that knowledge to ever have a chance of finishing your game.
because we can only give tips, we cannot make the game for you.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Basic questions can't be asked? I thought I'd try to work out problems as I go along, otherwise it might be overwhelming...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Basic questions can't be asked?
of course you can ask questions. As I said we will always give tips.

the problem is that if you're missing the basics of how the engine works, you will not understand our answers correctly and will have to ask for clarifications again and again, wasting a lot of time.
and possibly going into the wrong direction during that because of a misinterpreted answer, which will cause even more problems.

the engine simply has too many options to "learn by doing", you need a structured help to learn the basics - and that are tutorials that have been written already.
If you look around the forum, 90% of those who tried without learning the basics first have abandoned their projects. And of the 10% that managed to finish those projects, almost all admitted that they consider their first one or two years a complete waste where they scrapped their projects again and again until they knew how to do things correctly.

If you follow the link to the "starting point" in my signature, that is a tutorial I wrote for new users for VXAce - and it still is valid even in MV and MZ because those basics haven't changed much in all that time.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the reason why that old tutorial is no longer there is because a more modern tutorial is now inside the editor.
just go help - tutorialin your menu if you find nothing else

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
By the way, in the meantime, if you know of an easier way to do what I asked about... surely developers could have just allowed the tile highlighted to be expanded to two tiles, but no, everything needs to be unnecessarily complex...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
surely developers could have just allowed the tile highlighted to be expanded to two tiles, but no, everything needs to be unnecessarily complex
unfortunately it is not that simple - because collision has no size at all, so there is nothing to be expanded.
collision is based on coordinates only, which means that the default collision is simply comparing a pair of coordinate numbers.
So for a larger area to be checked, you suddenly have to compare multiple pairs of coordinates - and that is not as simple as you assume for a computer.

Just keep the following in mind: The developer wants you to use the program, nothing in it was ever made with a thought like "make things more difficult for the user" - quite the contrary, the main drive with the RPG Makers was always to make things as simple as possible for the user.

So if something is not there, then the reason is usually that it is not as simple as it appears to you in the first place.
And the RPG-Makers are already as simple as possible - you don't want to try and work with something like Unity if you consider an RM to be complex.
It's just that "as simple as possible" is never the same as "simple"...

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
1623767366517.pngVisuStella's Events and Move Core has hitbox expansion notetags as well:

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Is that 'spawn events'? I don't see notetags or hitboxes anywhere under command name...

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The tag you put in the event name is literally in the screenshot. :)

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't need to use 'plugin command'?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
No, you enter the tag as part of the event note.

1623790082220.png
1623790098768.png

1623790128761.png

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It worked... I had no idea the note field could be used for technical reasons. Thought it was personal memos or such...

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's the same as the notebox in the database. It was never intended to be used for plugins, but the plugin developers realised that the note field is accessible via javascript and it ended up being the most convenient place to put notetags.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I suspect MZ added a notebox to events in part so that plugin developers could utilise it. For whatever reason, it's there and can be used for that purpose though. :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thought it was personal memos or such...
that was it's original purpose and what the original programmer intended it for, but then the community-programmers realised that they can access that textfield like any other database field.
And because it was the only such field that doesn't mess with anything else - because it has no official function at all - the community has used it for custom data entry for years.

that is one of the many details that are impossible to know if you try to "learn by doing", a good part has to be told by someone who knows it - usually by tutorials.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Plugin Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

You can still do this without a plugin. You'd have two events and would disable them using either a regular switch - one for each group of events (which would take up lots of switches if you have many) or self switches (along with a script call from each event to turn on the appropriate self switch on all other events in the same group).

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Riding thru a slump and not sure how to drag myself out of it. Hate it when these moods take me. Trying to focus on my art but hit a wall with that(TT)
Trying to come up with an idea for a game, so far nothing.
I had one goal when I set out to make my Game Jam game. It didn't have to be super good and the game didn't have to have the best writing - it just had to NOT CRASH.

So yeah, someone was streaming it and it crashed.
Add Special Effects on Map with Tilesets | RPG Maker News #105

Excited to see all the entries for the 2021 Touch the Stars Gamejam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solomander666