carolinele

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello all! I have a problem that I just can't seem to solve. In the game I'm making, I want a simple point-based relationship system (much like the Social Link system in the Persona series, if you're familiar with that). Every time you do something, like talk to the person, you get points that go towards their relationship level. When you get enough points (points are kept in a variable), your relationship with them levels up. Simple enough, right? To go along with that, I want combination attacks. When you perform a combination attack with someone, you get a few points with them.

For the relationship system, I'm using Jeneeus Guruman's script: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/3313-relationship-system/

And for the combo attacks, I'm using Vlue's script: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/24135-basic-combo-attacks/

So far, I've come up with a very messy system for achieving the "combination attack/relationship point" thing. I have a "combo-starting" skill for every character (called "Attack with Partner") and also a combo attack skill for each character (called "Combination attack"). Using the combo attack script, I made it so when two characters use the "Attack with Partner" (which they only have when partnered with someone), it will trigger one of their "Combination attack" skills. This is what it looks like so far (very messy, I know. Ignore the scribbles, they're just two skills that are unrelated to this topic):

Combo%201_zpsoemvye2m.jpg

Is there a simpler way to do this that I'm missing? Because this way is really hard. Also, it raises another problem: How do I make the relationship points go up? (Forgot to mention I'm also using Tsukihime's Set Variable script (http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/7938-set-variable/) to control variables with skills). I want every person (not just the main character) to have a relationship level with everyone, so everyone has their own variable. How do I make it so that the combination attack will only affect the variable of the people that are using the attack?

I feel as though I'm not explaining myself properly, so I'm going to use an example.

Bob is the main character (the player's character). The side characters are Phil, Carl, and Susan. While partnered with Phil, Bob uses his "Attack with Partner" skill, and so does Phil. Phil's "Combination Attack" skill triggers. Because of what is in the notebox of Phil's "Combination Attack" skill, the "Bob/Phil Relationship Level" variable increases by 1. Hooray! Carl and Susan are also partnered. They both do their "Attack with Partner" skills, and Susan's "Combination Attack" skill triggers. The only variable mentioned in Susan's skill's notebox is the "Bob/Susan Relationship Level" (since Bob is the main character, and thus, the highest priority). If the "Susan/Carl Relationship Level" variable was also mentioned in the notebox, then both variables would increase by 1. But Carl was the one that did a combo with Susan, not Bob!

Is there a way to do this that doesn't involve making a separate attack for each pairing?

Also, this might be a little off topic, but when using the Combo Skill script, where should I put the damage formula? On the "Attack with Partner" skill, or on the "Combination Attack" skill?

Thank you in advance!

carolinele

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not really looking for how to make the relationship system. I already have that. I'm just trying to figure out how to set up the combination attacks. Thank you for the help, though!

Jasutin Rai

Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, I don't know about combo attacks though I know that Master Demo (Which is created by Moghunter) has a combo system in their script and it is a very interesting setup. I'll have to post a link to the Demo later though.

As for the relationship thing you could use Variables to accomplish that. For Example, if you have choices of what you can say and the player picks the right choice it can increase the variable by 1 (or however many you want it to increase by) and if he/she say something the person does not like or does something the person disagrees with you can decrease the variable by one. (or however many)

(This is how I did a karma system in one of my test games when I was still figuring everything out.)

And near the end of the game (or whenever) have it if the Variable is high enough then this happens, but if it to low then this happens. See what I mean?

Hope this helps, if not...well i hope it helps someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalamar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Each relationship is going to need a skill of their own and each skill is going to need to call a common event that increases that particular relationship by the number you want it to.

If you want each character to have an independent relationship(i.e. Bob likes Susan more than Susan likes Bob) that will effectively double the number of relationship variables that you would need to set up.  Although if you are using a script that allows skills to directly affect variables you should be able to put that in with a script call and not the common events.

Rinobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Have your "Attack with Partner" skill add a state to it's user.

Something like this -> a.add_state(combo); a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2 (where "combo" is the state ID#)

The above state should only last until the end of the turn.

Have the same skill run a common event. "Combination Attack"

"Combination Attack" checks which two party members have the combo state. If less than two combo states exist, this event does nothing.

Set up a conditional branch to decide which combination attack to use based on the party's individual states. (this will require some effort)

Increase relationship variable based on conditional branch

Force Action = Combination Attack, Last Target

Something like that...

This way, you only need 1 "Attack with Partner" skill and 1 complex common event, and 1 combination attack per actor(if your setup is efficient). That's the theory anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

V1.3 of Demo, a new concept artist on the team, character voices are coming into light more... I'm happy to say that the fangame is making good progress.
Ami
--- Stolen Item ---

M.Figher: I want to sell this Stone
Fence: Then...i can buy you 1500G
M.Figher: It's Deal!
(3 Days Later)
F.Fighter: M.Figher,Do you know about Stone that Mayor keep it in his Office? It's missing
M.Figher: Ahh,is that so... (Actually,i Stole it and Sell it to the Fence a few Days ago)
I've spent some cash on foley and other sound effects. I wonder sometimes if I made a poor choice, but I remember that I really want to improve the sound of my games. n...n; My frugalness haunts me sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mymay0510