Comment on water tiles and A2 tiles

DiaperDad

Is at home working on a game
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I noticed that if you place water tiles next to A2 tiles it messes up the boat passability. My solution was to use A5 tiles instead of A2 tiles. Has anyone else run into this?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Works fine for me.
What water are you using, are you using the boat or the ship? Any plugins? Can you reproduce this in a new project with no plugins?

DiaperDad

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi Shaz:
Thank you for responding.
No plugins except for one that skips the MV loading screen and the one that skips the title screen.

I am using Jason Perry's jungle water tiles (https://finalbossblues.itch.io/tf-jungle-tileset). The A5 sheet has tiles that very closely match the A2 tiles, so it's only slightly annoying. It's a ship only water tile. The ship can escape the water and enter the A2 land tiles but not the A5 land tiles. Other tilesets work fine. It's weird because the A1 passability settings match other tilesets I've incorporated.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz , @DiaperDad
there is one additional effect concerning boat and ship passability, and that might be what caused this confusion.

And that is that the ship and boat have inverse passability to the player: if the water tile is set to passable for the player, the ship cannot enter it. And if the water tile is impassable to the player, then the ship can enter it.

Or as a form of explanation that helps to remember this effect: if the water is shallow enough to allow the player to wade through, then it is too shallow for a boat/ship. But if the water is deep enough for a boat/ship, then it is too deep for the player to go through.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think there's something else going on here.

Can I twist your arm to zip up your project folder and send to me so I can take a look?

DiaperDad

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think there's something else going on here.

Can I twist your arm to zip up your project folder and send to me so I can take a look?
Hmm. It's already up to 2.50 Gigs. I may just create a new project and send it to you. But I confess I'm not that motivated since I have a workable solution.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I don't want a 2GB download :D

If you could leave out all the audio, that might significantly reduce the file size. I'd really just need your data folder and js folder, and any new graphics you'd added. Even just the one map.

But if you're happy with your workaround, that's fine too :)

DiaperDad

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks Shaz. Perhaps I will give you a trimmed down project at some point. Appreciate your enthusiasm and help. By the way, how would I deliver the zip file to you?

DiaperDad

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yea. I need help. This is becoming an issue. Let me know how to send you a zip. Thanks.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, just zip up a demo project that has the issue and load it up to dropbox or something similar (anywhere I don't have to create an account to download it), then PM me with a link.

DiaperDad

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For some reason, RPG Maker MV is saving the tileset tags incorrectly. If I close RPG Maker, then add a copy of the default Outside tileset to Tilesets.js, then change the graphics, things work fine. But if I create a new tileset via rpg maker, things go wrong.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're right! I can reproduce it too.

Let me have a play and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Now I'm playing again, and it's working properly. Is this just a caching thing?

Last edited:

DiaperDad

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It could be. The previous tileset that was working is no longer working. Wondering if I should submit a bug report.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes, I think it'd be a good idea.

I added output while testing and it seems it was reading all the tileset settings the same way, so I'm not sure why it did the opposite of what those settings told it to do)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

so, ive been gone for too long when i log in and see that everything is where is shouldn't be. XD
Steam killing my eyes.. I forgot why I use it only when I have no other choice
Making a map, my brain went "Look, Mjölnir!" as I plotted out a sacrificial entrance.

Actually, it went, "Look, hammer. Wait, Thor's hammer!"
CG tile rendering, take 3: windows.
which section you guys think looks more accurate to the perspective? left or right?

for reference, this is what it looks like "at street level"
Okay, Animal Crossing is remarkably addictive and exceptionally calming. I've been playing it pretty exclusively... like... 6 hours a day. Been a while since I've been this engrossed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Komalis