"Commercial Use, Maker Only"? Labels Purchasing Resources...

Pajama-Sama

Twitter @Pajama_Sama
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good Evening Community!

I apologize if this question has been asked before, or if the answer is obvious and I'm just being oblivious...;_;

While purchasing tile sets/characters/etc. I just noticed the other labeling on some of the resources...
but what do they REALLY mean? lol

For reference sake, this is a no brain label.

This sign...
... I get it, editing is permitted & if it's crossed out, I can only assume editing the resource
is not permitted.:thumbsup-left:B):thumbsup-right: Makes sense. haha.

Then everything gets convoluted for me:

Mainly,
?

So... Does this mean this particular resource can be used commercially as long as it is used within RPG Maker?
Or... is it read separately as "can not" use commercially AT ALL - Use in RPG Maker Only? lol

and also...

What's this about?

Does this mean, ONLY USE in RPG Maker?
or... is it labeling that you can use it in other engines other than RPG Maker?
or even... The only thing you can't use it in, is Maker Only?

I'm probably confusing myself, tbh.

And lastly (I'm sure it's not the last lol),

Beyond the obvious extremes, "Violent" and "Adult" is super vague :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Like, who decides this?
How is it even gauged?
Where would you even send your material to be "judged"?

P.S. - What about the resources with No-Label listed at all!?

Getting down to it, I just don't want to purchase any resources that I will be unable to use in my game if I do plan on selling it. I seen variations of this question as far as art, but I wanted to ask direct and specifically. Any insight on all this would be greatly appreciated.

- PJ

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

I've moved this thread to Product Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Commercial Use, Maker Only sign = You can use it commercially but only in RPG Makers/VN Maker.
Maker Only sign = You can use this in RPG Makers/VN Maker.

Resources with no label still have terms you have to follow; those are included in the pack when you buy it. The site just hasn't gotten to updating their page to show those terms before you purchase them.

Elliott404

Game404
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Beyond the obvious extremes, "Violent" and "Adult" is super vague :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Like, who decides this?
How is it even gauged?
Where would you even send your material to be "judged"?
From what I understood, packs with these labels are not meant to be used for mature contents; they're meant to be family friendly/P13 materials. I understand your frustration, but there are more materials you can use, or request your own materials.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And lastly (I'm sure it's not the last lol),

Beyond the obvious extremes, "Violent" and "Adult" is super vagu
As far as I know that is due to some japanese laws - those restrictions are very common for japanese artist, and I assume that the original artist required Degica to keep that licence restriction if they wanted to sell that resource.

And yes, it is vague for us, probably because we don't know the references used in Japan.

Pajama-Sama

Twitter @Pajama_Sama
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you everyone for clarifying this up for me. I really appreciate the help.

Nightblade50

Developer of "Delta Origins"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What's this about?

Does this mean, ONLY USE in RPG Maker?
or... is it labeling that you can use it in other engines other than RPG Maker?
or even... The only thing you can't use it in, is Maker Only?
I believe, that means that you can only use it in IG Maker/RPG Maker/VNMaker.

Mainly,
?

So... Does this mean this particular resource can be used commercially as long as it is used within RPG Maker?
Or... is it read separately as "can not" use commercially AT ALL - Use in RPG Maker Only? lol
Not allowed for commercial use. Maker only applies for what I said above

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

Lyseth

Potato Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar you would be correct, +18 content requires proper censorship as uncensored “indecent areas” (for the sake of keeping appropriate language, I’m calling it that) is illegal in Japan, as for violence, I believe that’s put in as an agreement from the contents creator

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've learned that the red circle with the red slash just means that there are restrictions.
The text to the right of that specify what conditions to be followed.
In this picture, its allowed for commercial use in rpg maker / vn maker series. Thats the maker only.
This would be only allowed to use in rpg maker / vn maker.
Commercial Use, Maker Only sign = You can use it commercially but only in RPG Makers/VN Maker.
Maker Only sign = You can use this in RPG Makers/VN Maker.
But does that mean this can't be used for commercial use, since it doesn't have the commercial use tag on it?
That's what it says to me. But at the same time, if the condition is not mentioned, then is it up to you to decide how to use it?
This resource has commercial usage forbidden.
And this resource allows commercial usage in any engine.
So will we always see both tags if it is to not be used commercially?

This is no issue for me as I never intent to make a game that is not PG13. But that's where I would say these are, PG13.
So that should mean, not mature themes, no blood or gore.

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm also confused with these icons.....

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Roninator2 I'll start of by saying I didn't 100% understand what you're saying. (It was ironically written down confusingly for me.) I'm also a moderator, not the store manager, so I don't have any inside information. Everything I know I just from checking several product pages and comparing the different icons each has, so I can better understand what each means. On your responses to my post.

But does that mean this can't be used for commercial use, since it doesn't have the commercial use tag on it?
All pages that have these icons (since we still have older product pages that don't have them), have at least 3 icons:
1. Which engine you can use these in (Maker Only/Any engine)
2. If you can use these commercially
3. Whether editing is allowed.
So your above example is impossible, as all new products will have terms stating whether commercial usage is allowed (and if so in which engines).

That's what it says to me. But at the same time, if the condition is not mentioned, then is it up to you to decide how to use it?
It's never up to you. For example the older products don't have these icons, but when you do buy them it includes a Terms of use text file which explains the terms (including whether commercial usage is allowed).
These icons btw do not replace a terms of use text file. They are just there, so you have a quick check whether you'd able to actually have a use for these products (for example commercial devs now have the chance to avoid buying non-commercial DLC).

So will we always see both tags if it is to not be used commercially?
I've reread this four times and have not a single idea which two tags you're talking about :/ Hopefully my explanation above was clear enough.

Even if you find the icons confusing, just remember that each product comes with a Terms of Use text file, so you can always check there if you've bought them. :)

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
which two tags you're talking about
Sorry, Yea got thought here but wrote that.
maker only.JPG commercial use forbid.JPG
instead of
commercial maker.JPG
So the first two will be seen if it is to not be used commercially and the bottom one allows commercial use with the restriction on maker only.

AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for directing me to this thread, slimmmeiske. Yeah, I was a bit confused. The text itself makes sense, but then I was thrown off by the icon with the crosshair. I was like, "Wait... so does that little symbol mean it CAN'T be used commercially." This was a very helpful thread.

*EDITED* Looks like these have been updated to be more understandable :) At least on the new DLC I've recently looked at.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I've noticed that more videos on YouTube have these segmented bookmark things in the videos themselves. It's nice being able to jump to parts of a video you want, and to have them all clearly labelled.
Why you do this? Now I have to buy the new RPG Maker xD
I've always dreaded planning for my games so I just didn't plan at all. That... didn't work out after all. :kaosigh:
Turns out it can be kind of fun if you keep the scope small and don't take it way too seriously.
well... for the first time in months... I feel like my game is headed towards something again. I finally have it where I won't be drawing battle assets for the rest of the year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenrii19