hppyniss

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm very new to RPG Maker, so this is likely a user error, but I wanted to see if you guys have any solutions. I have a common event (which plays a sound and shows a picture) called when a certain item is used, then another common event that is triggered by the previous common event which erases the picture and plays another sound (specifically, the "show picture" common event turns a switch on, and the "hide picture" common event is set to run parallel when that switch is on, then it is set to turn off the switch.) This seems very basic, and looks to my noobish eyes like it should work. HOWEVER, whenever I load up a save or start a new game, the "hide picture" sound is played, which makes me think that somehow, despite the "show picture" switch being off, this "hide picture" common event is running. Why is this? 

It's probably worth mentioning that this has also happened with another common event call that was set to run parallel, triggered by a switch. For some reason, at the start of the game, when it would be impossible for the triggering switch to be on, this common event would run. This randomly stopped being a problem, and I don't think I did anything to fix it. 

Is this a weird MV glitch? Or, more likely, am I messing something up?

Thanks you guys!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When you need help figuring out events, it's really helpful to us if you show screenshots, as descriptions don't include all the information we need to see and are often confusing to understand.  Use Alt+PrintScreen to capture the active window, and don't crop anything out of it - that gives us pretty much everything we could want to see for the current event (if there are multiple tabs, sometimes we'll need screenshots of each tab) without including the desktop background, which shrinks everything and makes it harder to read.

Without seeing them, I'm wondering why you're using two events instead of just one.  It seems overly complicated and adds possibilities for things to go wrong.

Events conditioned by switches running when you think the switches are off, usually means you're using a switch that's also being used by a plugin.  When you add plugins, you MUST configure them, which means checking to see if they use any switches or variables and putting names against them in your database so you don't accidentally use them for something else.  To check this, you could disable all of your plugins, save, then play and see if the problems still happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

hppyniss

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Shaz AH! I knew it was something simple that I was overlooking. Of course, I had forgotten that OrangeOverlay uses switches 1 and 2 (which were the switches I was using for BOTH instances of the error). All of my plugin switches are marked now. Thank you so much!

(Good to know, too, that we can post screenshots -- that's definitely easier than trying to explain it! Hopping over to read all of the forum rules, now...)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Seeker Clones.png
Work on the Decepticon Seeker sprites is taking longer than I anticipated. I have five down: Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Acid Storm and Nova Storm. Three left to go: Ion Storm, Sunstorm (needs rework), and Slipstream. After completing their walking sprites, should I wait to post them after I've done a transformation sequence?
yRMekcF.gif

Run, <null> run!
(sprite got butchered a bit while making gif file...)
WOOP WOOP!
NEW CHARACTER ALERT!!!
Please, welcome to the stage...
Ramona Albright.png

Ramona Albright! A 20-year old World Key Guardian in training (More about the WKG's soon!), She is very impulsive, which leads us to the problem of the game. OOF. Kinda wanna wait till you know how to use the friggin World Key, huh?!
Bust sketch here!
IMG_20220124_110105.jpg
Little-by-little, keep improving your projects. That's how you finish them! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BombchuSquad