Common Events Items and Equipment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JoelMarler, Apr 19, 2019.

1. JoelMarler

JoelMarler Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How do you use common events for your items and equipment? I have items that teleport you to the centre of town and let you automatically escape battles, among other things. How about you?

2. Diretooth

Diretooth Lv. 23 Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've made a skill that allowed the player to teleport to a specific hub area which acts as a sort of fast travel for the player. While it could not be used in combat, and indeed was completely sealed after a specific event in the story, it cost nothing to use and after another point in the story, was unsealed.

JoelMarler likes this.
  3. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Mostly, items that invoke teleport or some other menu...

Other than that, most skill/item effects I have are scripted instead of evented because I prefer writing code

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Game Mechanics Design is for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level. Using common events for items etc. is not a mechanic as such.

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

5. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For the most part, I don't unless it's something that's meant to initiate dialog or provide some sort of utility that common events might require. Here's a list of things I have that use common events off the top of my head:
    • Return: Inspired by the Dragon Quest games, this is a skill the main character has which allows for teleport to any previously-visited town when used in outside areas, or which can be used to either exit dungeons or teleport to the last-touched save point.
    • Iron Lady Limited Edition Action Figure: This is a sidequest item that comes in several pieces (Right Leg, Left Arm, Torso, etc) and must be assembled. Each piece invokes the same common event when used, and if the player has all the required parts, it gets assembled.
    • Debug: Console: This is a debugging skill that opens a dialog tree. It does a lot of things that can also be done via script calls/plugin commands in the console, but in some cases is easier and faster. Add/remove party members by ID, test battles by ID, edit the time of day, edit the quest timeline, unlock all "Return" locations, jump to the test room.
    • Light source items. When entering a dark area, the player can use their choice of currently-obtained light source items to illuminate things until they return to the world map.

JoelMarler likes this.