Community Core Script

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by Hudell, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Why not? You could easily use the following note tag structure:

<increaseStatY: HPIs: 5, MPIs: 10, amt: 20%>

and then parse the note. It's easy to understand and it fits in with other script customization. Personally, I think i'll be a lot more difficult for people to adopt scripts that use the customization styles from Ace and below. There's no built-in script editor anymore, so you'd be asking people to open up the JS files in their text editor, probably notepad for a lot of people, and then understanding how JS objects work. It just isn't as likely to work out.

2. DarknessFalls

DarknessFalls Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    because its my prerogative not to use  note tag things and not to use Regex. Javascript options for editors and other tools that mostly use javascript use JSON or Objects to do configuration. Its very common place. 

3. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    That may be true, but MV isn't a JavaScript editor. There is no internal script editor at all anymore, so having people edit the source files to change configurations can easily be seen as unnecessary. Not to mention that if something breaks further on down the line, it may be more confusing to the developer why something involving that script isn't working, when they can't see from the plugin manager the configuration in question.

Really, I think it's all a step backward, but I suppose there is nothing I can do from stopping you from making things how you want, but I don't think you'll get much support if you make it harder for the user.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
    The Stranger likes this.
  4. DarknessFalls

DarknessFalls Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    this is getting way off topic.

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Using script edits will make the use of the script problematical for non-scripters, similiar to how scripts like Modern Algebra's "Quest Journal" caused problems to non-scripters in the past.

And if DarknessFalls prefer that method to making it easier for non-scripters, that is his opinion and decision.

But such a method is definately nothing to be used in a community core and should be discussed elsewhere.

Everyone back to topic please.

6. silvestro673

silvestro673 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    I've worked on projects before with a common core script concept. The only one successful one I recall was a bot program for diablo2. They released the basic commands we could put to use. Then we in turn created character class scripts off them. Essentially making 1 script page for the class that could do anything.

If rm were to follow any such common core system, i think it's fair to say it has already been implemented. If any scripts we make are specified core based, then a more specified script is/can be offered. Rm is even set up to handle stand alone scripts. I recommend any functions be uniquely named (from other scripters of the community) and avoid global variables.

so ya, that concept is already here. 

7. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV