Jimmy2017

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Me again! I'm having some trouble with having a torch come on after an action is played. Here is what I have in the 'notes' for the torch:

<CL: Fire 125 #eeac69 Left> with the ID being Left (help guide says a word can be used - If I use a number it seems to just be on permanently).

The light is OFF, so the initial aspect is working as it should.

And in the event to switch it on, I have the following:

Untitled.png

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to activate.

Thanks again in advanced.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try setting the light id to only use lowercase letters. Minor oversight on my part, but I should probably include it in the help documentation.

Edit: You're right about numeric IDs not working at all though. Hmm, I'll take a look tomorrow. It's lazy gaming time right now. :)

Last edited:

Jimmy2017

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Try setting the light id to only use lowercase letters. Minor oversight on my part, but I should probably include it in the help documentation

Perfect :) Thanks so much!

Jimmy2017

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
3rd edit now.

I am having an issue where if I set a tint from this plugin but don't have any light sources, the tint is not applied. Is this meant to be this way?

The reason I ask is that having an event to set a tint using the rpgmaker settings, and then not having another event on each scene that map can go to, causes all the future tints to remain darkened (if using night for example).

I know the rpgmaker tint carries on until it's reset normally, so I'm happy to apply that tint to each area as well still, it just seemed a little strange that it was needed alongside this plugins for occassions such as the above.

Last edited:

DarkSearinox92

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
3rd edit now.

I am having an issue where if I set a tint from this plugin but don't have any light sources, the tint is not applied. Is this meant to be this way?

The reason I ask is that having an event to set a tint using the rpgmaker settings, and then not having another event on each scene that map can go to, causes all the future tints to remain darkened (if using night for example).

I know the rpgmaker tint carries on until it's reset normally, so I'm happy to apply that tint to each area as well still, it just seemed a little strange that it was needed alongside this plugins for occassions such as the above.

i always see this mode. It's a feature started and present in the vanilla version of terrax. Maybe it can be enhanced it, you're right.

Maybe it's more right to have the possibility to add the plugin's tint even if there isn't a source of light...?

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
3rd edit now.

Yeah it's intentional, mainly because that's how it's been done in the past and changing it now would almost certainly result in annoying and undesired side effects for anyone who updated to the "fixed" version. Specifically, the tint setting persists across maps, so if it's suddenly set to draw with or without light sources, people will find themselves having to go back and manually turn the tinting off. If we changed it to only last for the map it's invoked on, others might find maps where they relied on the persistent functionality are suddenly tintless. Neither are desirable.

What I do is just have an empty light tag on the same autorun event used to invoke the tint effect for a given map. The empty light tag looks like so:

Code:
<cl: light 0 #000000>

Jimmy2017

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the solution as well, I didn't think to put an empty light tag on it lol. Sometimes it's the simplest things that are overlooked :p

Jimmy2017

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Me again (you must be getting fed up by now surely!)

This time i'm trying to add a flashlight beam, but I'm getting an error about the direction not being a function.
Untitled.png
The event has this;

<CL: Flashlight 50 20 #ffffff 1 1>

I'm trying to make it so a small light beam comes in from what would be the doorway to the South. At the moment, as soon as I enter the map, it throws up the error and I'm forced to close.

I'm assuming I am once more overlooking something simple?

Thank you for your patience with me!

edit: also tried using D1 etc, same issue.

Last edited:

10theodie10

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi! Fantastic plugin! Thank you for your hard work and creating this.

I noticed that the lighting affects balloon icons. I was wondering if there was a way to show balloon icons above areas that are not lit. Below is an example of what i mean. Thanks in advance :)

1609343426896.png

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! Fantastic plugin! Thank you for your hard work and creating this.

I noticed that the lighting affects balloon icons. I was wondering if there was a way to show balloon icons above areas that are not lit. Below is an example of what i mean. Thanks in advance :)

View attachment 173488
Unfortunately it's not trivial since balloons are rendered as part of the same layer as sprites and tiles. You'll find that, if you tint the map using RM's default tinting system, it also affects balloons. The best I can do is suggest using slightly wider light circles so that it encompasses the balloon, even if just long enough for the balloon to show. Sorry about that.

Me again (you must be getting fed up by now surely!)

This time i'm trying to add a flashlight beam, but I'm getting an error about the direction not being a function.
View attachment 173006
The event has this;

<CL: Flashlight 50 20 #ffffff 1 1>

I'm trying to make it so a small light beam comes in from what would be the doorway to the South. At the moment, as soon as I enter the map, it throws up the error and I'm forced to close.

I'm assuming I am once more overlooking something simple?

Thank you for your patience with me!

edit: also tried using D1 etc, same issue.
That's because, in my genius, I forgot to create the getLightFlashlightDirection function in the first place. Yeah oops, thanks for catching that, I'll fix it probably later today or tomorrow. This is for the MZ version right?

Jimmy2017

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Haha! It wasn't me going mad then lol :D

Yup for MZ also. Please let me know once its updated and i'll grab and test :)

Thanks!

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Haha! It wasn't me going mad then lol :D

Yup for MZ also. Please let me know once its updated and i'll grab and test :)

Thanks!
The new version (v3.6) is on my github now, and should be added to the main one within the next few days. It was a simple fix, but took longer than intended since my niece is staying here for a few days and currently occupying most of my personal bandwidth. :)

Jimmy2017

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Hey Aesica.

Thanks very much for that. Flashlight events now work, and no problem, personal life comes first!

The flashlight event does however, have another issue :( , they also ignore the colour set. Any chance you can take a look?

The level tint is #cccccc

flashlight colour is set to #dddddd (also tried #aaaaaa) but it will always appear as #ffffff (the brightest).

Full flashlight event:

<CL: Flashlight 7 17 #aaaaaa 1 3 x.5>

Lastly, is it possible to have the end of the flashlight event to not be rounded, so its more of a < shape rather than <) ? I didn't see anything in the help text so assuming not, but figured I'd ask just incase :)

Similarly, is it also possible to reduce the starting 'bulb' size of the flashlight?

Last edited:

10theodie10

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Unfortunately it's not trivial since balloons are rendered as part of the same layer as sprites and tiles. You'll find that, if you tint the map using RM's default tinting system, it also affects balloons. The best I can do is suggest using slightly wider light circles so that it encompasses the balloon, even if just long enough for the balloon to show. Sorry about that.

That's because, in my genius, I forgot to create the getLightFlashlightDirection function in the first place. Yeah oops, thanks for catching that, I'll fix it probably later today or tomorrow. This is for the MZ version right?

I had a bit of a feeling that might have been the case. Thanks for the responding and happy new year! :smile:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The flashlight is always going to be fairly bright due to how it's constructed, so try much lower settings and you might get more of what you're after. As for its shape, no it's fairly immutable unfortunately. Sorry about that.

Jimmy2017

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
The flashlight is always going to be fairly bright due to how it's constructed, so try much lower settings and you might get more of what you're after. As for its shape, no it's fairly immutable unfortunately. Sorry about that.

Got it :) I've set it to a much much lower setting and it's now a bit more noticeable :)

No worries on the shape, it still looks much MUCH better than no lighting at all.

Thanks for your help!

Snarkyfork

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey, so is this a direct update to Terrax? I mean, are all the plugin/script calls/notetags the same? Reason I ask is because I have done some extensive work with Terrax but I would like something that performs better because at times I have noticed slow down using the old Terrax.

How does this compare to MV Nova Lighting? Just curious, I am trying to decide which one to look into.

Oh, and is the day/night gradual transition still in this plugin?

Thanks for continuing his work, you guys are amazing.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, so is this a direct update to Terrax? I mean, are all the plugin/script calls/notetags the same? Reason I ask is because I have done some extensive work with Terrax but I would like something that performs better because at times I have noticed slow down using the old Terrax.

How does this compare to MV Nova Lighting? Just curious, I am trying to decide which one to look into.

Oh, and is the day/night gradual transition still in this plugin?

Thanks for continuing his work, you guys are amazing.
1. Yeah, it's a direct update to Terrax. All the syntax is the same, however note that by default it now uses proper note tags for events. This is so it can play better with other plugins that might also involve using note tags on events:
Code:
<cl: light 250 #ffffff> // community lighting version
light 250 #ffffff // original terrax version
But you can switch back to the terrax formatting in the plugin parameters.

2. I'm unfamiliar with Nova Lighting so I really couldn't tell you, sorry.

3. Yup, in fact the day/night functionality has been expanded upon somewhat. Most notably, It now has better default day/night colors (you can still change them up if you want), you can use the plugin command "tint daylight" to tint a room based on the current time, and you can set specific hours as "night hours" and assign a switch to be turned on at night/off during the day (useful for stuff like making NPCs in towns disappear/appear/act differently at night)

Snarkyfork

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
How big is the performance difference between the original Terrax and this new version?

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While I can't give you any exact numbers because I haven't first-hand benchmarked the two side by side, there should be a somewhat-noticeable difference since the various contributors have all added little optimizations here and there. Best thing to do is try them both out yourself, as you should be able to run one, then the other in the same project with all the same note tags and such.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

unknown.png

Making good progress with the second chapter. :)

Still work in progress.

(Real life, it is chronically the fourth chapter that I am making.)
constructionworkconcept.pngezgif-2-0acb620ecf8d.gifezgif-2-afeaf16ebb8d.gif "The Great Wall is great. But, most people can only be the slaves who built it, leaving their bones underneath that wall. They spent their whole life to build that wall and the empire, an empire that enslaves them." :kaoswt2: I'm just going to turn it into a modern-day sad tale.

No edits, just gameplay from one area to the next. Plus all my new shiny interface stuff... And I even remember to bolt down the portal so it won't escape this time. :kaopride:
You guys just freely offer up your Autonomy?
I don't know about you, but today the covid frustration is seriously getting to me. Haven't really seen many of my friends for two years, since i moved towns the year before this all started, and well, i miss them :(
so, here's a cute alpacaraptor sketch to heighten the mood:
W7Fhp9n.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avigayil