Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Also, since many people were confused about the fact that the plugin needs at least one light event to be active, and it isn't very difficult to either get rid of this feature (plugin always active even without light event), or making it a plugin parameter. Would you be interested in such feature?

Changes put on a pull request. It will look like most of the code changed while I just got rid of the useless indentation in the main function (the long if series could easily be replaced by some if not condition return)

JavaScript:
if (options_lighting_on == true) {
[hundreds lines of code]
}

// Become

if (options_lighting_on !== true) return;                // Plugin deactivated in the option
[hundreds lines of code]

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also, since many people were confused about the fact that the plugin needs at least one light event to be active, and it isn't very difficult to either get rid of this feature (plugin always active even without light event), or making it a plugin parameter. Would you be interested in such feature?
I've been hesitant to add this since there are situations where, with existing projects, people may not want that functionality as it may result in rooms intended to be fully lit (no light tags) to suddenly be darkened.

Edit: That said, as an optional plugin parameter, it'd probably be a good addition.

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I went to update from v2.3 for the light offsets, but v2.5 broke all my lights. True/false on the new parameter didn't make a difference. I was using an old save, maybe that makes a difference, idk. I didn't really investigate beyond that. Version 2.4, however, works great out of the box and so do the offsets, which are extremely useful with my project's unusual grid size. Thanks!

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I went to update from v2.3 for the light offsets, but v2.5 broke all my lights. True/false on the new parameter didn't make a difference. I was using an old save, maybe that makes a difference, idk. I didn't really investigate beyond that. Version 2.4, however, works great out of the box and so do the offsets, which are extremely useful with my project's unusual grid size. Thanks!

Thanks for signaling the problem, I'm looking to see what did go wrong.

EDIT: I made a merge request with the fix. Sorry for the inconvenience.
RE-EDIT: It is merged.

Last edited:

crowdmember2

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just downloaded the light plugin. Was excited to try it and learn from the mini game example, but in the example, I'm not getting any lighting effects actually happening.

MV

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Just downloaded the light plugin. Was excited to try it and learn from the mini game example, but in the example, I'm not getting any lighting effects actually happening.

MV

The plugin was updated a little before your post, fixing a plugin-breaking bug;
can you check you have the latest version?

crowdmember2

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The plugin was updated a little before your post, fixing a plugin-breaking bug;
can you check you have the latest version?

Looks like my pull and download was during the break! Thanks for the info.
Yeah, I was trying the demo out (it looks wonderful btw).

Last edited:

Selaena

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just Dl'd the 2.5 version of the Demo. There was no config option for the lighting. When I started a new game no lighting effects occured. The slime that changes the time states that it is 0 hour and says that even after being asked to change to evening. No lighting conditions change in any areas. I did delete the plug-in from the plug-in manager and add it again after this, to no effect.

Nevermind! Loaded it up again in MV 1.6.2 and it runs just perfect!

Last edited:

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't updated my MV version of this plugin in quite a while. Good to see that there have been some updates since then.

Just wanted to make sure if the current version of MV Community Lighting on github is the newest one so I actually grab the most recent one.

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I haven't updated my MV version of this plugin in quite a while. Good to see that there have been some updates since then.

Just wanted to make sure if the current version of MV Community Lighting on github is the newest one so I actually grab the most recent one.

The version on Github (2.5) is the last one, yes.

Fasoldgames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Great stuff! Thanks for all the efforts guys!

Nerine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Great, and even for free.

Jimmy2017

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Hi there. I'm not sure if this is a bug report per se or not.

After some trial and error with getting Galvs layers plugin working alongside using CasperGamings TitleSystem plugin, it turns out that one of the key issue for (one of) the problems I had, was in fact down to this plugin rendering an entirely black tint when no plugin commands from this were being applied anywhere in the scene.

Essentially, Casper Gamings plugin allowed the title screen to render maps in the background under scene_title. I used this, and then Galvs Plugin to render a picture (since animations cannot be drawn on top of 'show picture'. However, on load up, the screen would always be entirely black. Initially Galv's plugin caused crashes without an amendment on Casper Gamings plugin (so if you do want to test this in similar scenario, you might need to get this amended version).

After some trouble shooting and adding extra maps to the cycle, I noticed that when it then came back to the original map I wanted to use, it would display, but it was then tinted darker (the cycled map prior had a dark tint). I then applied a 'ffffff' tint to the map I actually wanted to use, and this then no longer displayed as a blank black screen.

I confirmed this plugin was causing that by disabling it, and the title screen worked as expected. Re-enabling it then turned it black again, without a tint being applied.

-------

Hopefully the above makes sense...

Last edited:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So it was black on the title screen, but worked fine in the normal game? If so, you might want to consider just using an image of the intended map, assuming you don't have map events running and such to do various things on the title screen.

Edit: Hey wait, you might be able to pull it off with a conditional branch in the autorun event that sets the map tint:

Code:
If : Script : SceneManager._scene instanceof Scene_Title
- // insert plugin command for #ffffff tint
Else
- // insert plugin command for the actual ingame tint
End

Maybe? :D

Also, I'm curious: Does the title screen work fine if you load a game, then quit back to the title? CL uses the $gameVariables object for a lot of its stuff, and when you load up RM, that's basically all zeroed out/default stuff until you actually load or start a new game.

Last edited:

Jimmy2017

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Yup, entirely black on title screen without any tint applied.

Unfortunately I cannot use a picture, as I need an animation to run on top of it (starry background and then stars animated as well for a nice effect). The picture itself is fine and nice, but the extra animations playing on top really help bring it more to life.

This is where Galvs layer plugin came in, as it allowed me to use the picture I wanted, but also allow animations to play on top.

Sadly, this then presented another problem that crashes the game afterwards, so this may all be in vein at this point.

My main thing was that this plugin was applying a tint when no tint should be applied (I think?). So it may cause other issues for any other title screen plugin that allows a map to be picked as a background.

Last edited:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My edit was too slow. Refer to it and let me know the details.

Jimmy2017

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
So it was black on the title screen, but worked fine in the normal game? If so, you might want to consider just using an image of the intended map, assuming you don't have map events running and such to do various things on the title screen.

Edit: Hey wait, you might be able to pull it off with a conditional branch in the autorun event that sets the map tint:

Code:
If : Script : SceneManager._scene instanceof Scene_Title
- // insert plugin command for #ffffff tint
Else
- // insert plugin command for the actual ingame tint
End

Maybe? :D

Also, I'm curious: Does the title screen work fine if you load a game, then quit back to the title? CL uses the $gameVariables object for a lot of its stuff, and when you load up RM, that's basically all zeroed out/default stuff until you actually load or start a new game.

Of note; I had to disable Galv's on this test as it presently crashes as soon as you press a menu button, but would assume the below would apply to this plugins layer images as well based on previous tests.

--------

So I tried the new game and return to title (first map uses CL tints), and it does indeed then show the NPC image and animations.

So essentially by default, the game renders a black screen for scene_title?

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Of note; I had to disable Galv's on this test as it presently crashes as soon as you press a menu button, but would assume the below would apply to this plugins layer images as well based on previous tests.

--------

So I tried the new game and return to title (first map uses CL tints), and it does indeed then show the NPC image and animations.

So essentially by default, the game renders a black screen for scene_title?
The way community lighting works is that, by default, it renders a fully black tint (#000000) whenever lighting is present on a map. When no lighting is present on a map, the setting is still at full black although the lighting layer isn't rendered. Whenever the player enters a map where you change the tint, that tint change becomes the new default across all maps that don't specifically change tints (even those not tinted)

So, I'm guessing that, in order to fix your problem, you need to have a tint set plugin command on a self-terminating autorun event to change the tint to #ffffff (or some other non-black tint) on any map that you intend to show in your title screen.

At least, it seems like that'd work since it's possible the title plugin is doing something weird that causes maps it displays to behave strangely with certain plugins, such as this one.

Jimmy2017

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Yeh, I added an #ffffff tint to one of the events before it began an animation loop and that solved it. I spent quite some time trying to figure out why it was always black until it loaded in a map that had a tint and then when it reloaded the original map, that tint was still applied. I wasn't sure if that should be normal or not.

On another note; On maps where I have (for example) multiple flame affect lights and a darker tint, when the character moves around and causes the camera to move as well, I'm noticing the colours of the tiles change very slightly until the camera stops moving. I tried taking a video as well as a gif recording, but it all appears completely normal when playing it back. It is less noticeable when it isn't full screen, but it's still there.

I don't notice this happening on lighter maps, so I was curious if this is expected behaviour with lighting plugins, or if it was something that happens regardless with MZ.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Dragonfly3116 wrote on Redweaver's profile.
i need to ask do you mind sending me a link to tutorial town an legend of ancients Please My new Email is necroboy1973@gmail.com
I Am A Member On The Site Here As Well If Your Still teaching Let Me Know Thanks Joseph
Added store elements.
44JtdpE5n4jQMFkSi7pACW.png

2uqvqT3uCWxcXAhlyZokxg.png

The next step will be to start making props (including distillers).
I just saw one of SigmaSuccor's RPG Maker news videos, it mentioned one of my plugins. Now I kind of wish I'd made a demo project for it, having nothing in that segment but a scroll down the code feels a little underwhelming given what the plugin COULD do. Except I suck at making demo stuff, and my testing project isn't fit for that. :(
Ok, to prepare for the GMTK Game Jam, I'm trying to make a game with the theme "The Cat's out of the Bag" in about 48 hours. I'd make a forum post with a question, but I don't have the time!
Worked over a week on a new BGM, and I'm finally happy with it.

Here are some screenshots of the area it will be used in
EzLHppdVIAMY7DP

EzLHpqsVIAEZ7jt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peachdev