Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Probably going to be no longer relevant soon with version 4.2, but here is a easy life hack to use the 'kill switch' in a more 'live switch' way.

This event is a teleport cristal who only emits light when it is activated (in my exemple by switch 211, but it could be the 'event proximity' self-switch).

Page 1: parallele process who automatically set the kill switch (C in my case) to on

Capture d’écran 2021-04-27 120921.png

Page 2: The deactivated state page. It doesn't emit any light since the 'kill switch' is on.

Capture d’écran 2021-04-27 120933.png

Page 3: what you want to show when the cristal is activated. The kill switch will be off when you are there (see next page), so it will emits light.

Capture d’écran 2021-04-27 120946.png

Page 4: when the cristal is activated, switch off the kill switch.

Capture d’écran 2021-04-27 121023.png

Note that if for whatever reason you want to deactivate the cristal by setting switch 211 to off, you will go back to the deactivated state.

Last edited:

Monkeynugget

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi, looking at your scenario this would also work but it relies on a parellel just like mine but looks to take more steps but both are viable until Aesica adds the 'live switch'

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, looking at your scenario this would also work but it relies on a parellel just like mine but looks to take more steps but both are viable until Aesica adds the 'live switch'
The live switch (well, page-based note tags) is already added. It's on my github though, not the main one, becuase I want to be sure I didn't break anything first. Feel free to try it out. :)

Monkeynugget

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The live switch (well, page-based note tags) is already added. It's on my github though, not the main one, becuase I want to be sure I didn't break anything first. Feel free to try it out. :)
Is that version 4.2
I tried reading the documentation but couldnt see the new note tag

its not?
1619624978844.png
is it?

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses

The good thing with my setup is that the parallel events pages are active during only during a single frame since what they do directly change the active event page, so there is little to no risk on performance.

In any case it remains a life hack, event page based lights will be more convenient.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh crap, did I overwrite a version that had that in MZ? @Alexandre @ImaginaryVillain did one of you add this?

Edit: Actually looking at it, this doesn't seem to do anything in the MV or MZ version and probably hasn't for some time. Note that, if it's what I think it is, it's not the same as proximity-based lighting because it applies to *all* lights and is meant to determine when they're shown to avoid showing off-map lights. I'm pretty sure we switched to automatic detection for that at some point. Anyway so uh, don't use that function, it's dead.

To make a proximity-based lighting effect, use that moghunter plugin (or anything that can flip switches based on player-to-event-proximity and then in the first comment on the page you want to have a light on, put the standard light note tag. For the general note box, just use <cl: light 0 #000>

Basically this is how the page-based note tags work:

1619678768676.png

...minus the <label> note tag of course. The tag in the comments takes priority over the standard note tag.

Last edited:

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Honestly I haven't looked at this script in months. I've been too busy with so many others and working on my own game... I did make UMC MZ compatible with Galv's Map Projectiles MZ awhile back though. At some point I intended to make an extension plugin for this one to do the same, that's really the only plans I have at the moment for it.

I'll probably need to pick an evening at some point and see how it's been changed since I last looked, and see what it would take the bridge the two. Kind of a low priority though, nobody here has asked me for it, I just did it for my game.

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to stop the day night cycle, set a time, but still have lighting effects?

I have parts in my game where I want it to stay the same time and not change the lighting over time, but then I want to turn it back on again later.

Monkeynugget

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh crap, did I overwrite a version that had that in MZ? @Alexandre @ImaginaryVillain did one of you add this?

Edit: Actually looking at it, this doesn't seem to do anything in the MV or MZ version and probably hasn't for some time. Note that, if it's what I think it is, it's not the same as proximity-based lighting because it applies to *all* lights and is meant to determine when they're shown to avoid showing off-map lights. I'm pretty sure we switched to automatic detection for that at some point. Anyway so uh, don't use that function, it's dead.

To make a proximity-based lighting effect, use that moghunter plugin (or anything that can flip switches based on player-to-event-proximity and then in the first comment on the page you want to have a light on, put the standard light note tag. For the general note box, just use <cl: light 0 #000>

Basically this is how the page-based note tags work:

...minus the <label> note tag of course. The tag in the comments takes priority over the standard note tag.

Didnt work for me, just confirming i've done it correctly ??

nope.gif

EDIT : NVM I worked out what the issue is so it works but to note in the documentation the comment tag has to be the first line of the event (tested with text, conditionals etc so far, but im assuming everything at this point)
If its the second it will not proc
1619720828907.png
However that shouldn't be an issue as i cant think of any plugin that requires it to be the first line...........well..except for this one now :p

Having something like this without a single parrellel event :kaopride:
Aesica you superstar :kaojoy:
Yep.gif
EDIT : this needed a better showcase so here's a dozen dynamic braziers without a single auto run or parallel event
The size and scope of lighting effects you can have without a performance hit just took a massive jump up with this :kaojoy:
Whoosh.gif

Attachments

• 1619720426401.png
    1619720426401.png
    83 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Monkeynugget

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is there a way to stop the day night cycle, set a time, but still have lighting effects?

I have parts in my game where I want it to stay the same time and not change the lighting over time, but then I want to turn it back on again later.

If your not wanting to change the time effect for that chosen hour then yes
Just use the time stop command.

DayNight [0]

If your wanting to freeze time and change the effects then you'll need to call each effect as you want it or tie it to a variable checked by a parallel common event

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
However that shouldn't be an issue as i cant think of any plugin that requires it to be the first line...........well..except for this one now
Yeah I thought it'd be better for performance reasons (even though the plugins caches the note tag data after the first read) to not have to loop through the entire event list looking for comment tags, but rather, to just check the first event entry. Anyway glad you got it worked out. :D

LyraVultur

Non-binary Catbat
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Loving the visual upgrade to my project that this provides. However, I can't seem to get x/y offset working. Every time I try to add eg <cl: Light 35 #ffff00 0 0.5> it just turns the light off. Is there a parameter I missed?

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to set a default time of day for a map? At the moment I've got daynight 0 in a map's notetag. When a player goes there its dark. Do you have to set the time via an event? Or can we do it through the map's notetags somehow?

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to set a default time of day for a map? At the moment I've got daynight 0 in a map's notetag. When a player goes there its dark. Do you have to set the time via an event? Or can we do it through the map's notetags somehow?
There's a plugin command for setting the time. Easy to find in mz via the plugin command menu. For MV, it's Daynight hour hh mm with hh being the desired hour and mm being the desired minutes (so to set it to 5:30, daynight hour 5 30)

Edit:
Loving the visual upgrade to my project that this provides. However, I can't seem to get x/y offset working. Every time I try to add eg <cl: Light 35 #ffff00 0 0.5> it just turns the light off. Is there a parameter I missed?
Oops sorry, missed this. Put an x and/or y before the number with no spaces, so:

Code:
<cl: Light 35 #ffff00 x0 y0.5>

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's a plugin command for setting the time. Easy to find in mz via the plugin command menu. For MV, it's Daynight hour hh mm with hh being the desired hour and mm being the desired minutes (so to set it to 5:30, daynight hour 5 30)

Edit:

Oops sorry, missed this. Put an x and/or y before the number with no spaces, so:

Code:
<cl: Light 35 #ffff00 x0 y0.5>

Ah, ok. That's what I've been doing to set the time so far.

I'm coming from using Khas's lighting plugin, where it let you sent an ambient light setting in the note tag of a map, so I was looking for something similar.

The way you have it working here is fine too though.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you want a specific ambience color, you can use the tint command: tint set #rrggbb, replacing #rrggbb with the desired tint. Or tint daylight to set the tint to a tint matching the current hour without triggering the daynight cycle

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
EDIT : this needed a better showcase so here's a dozen dynamic braziers without a single auto run or parallel event
The size and scope of lighting effects you can have without a performance hit just took a massive jump up with this :kaojoy:
View attachment 187875

Definitively agree, I will make an updated version of the demos when I will get my leaves soon.

About the $gameVariables.SetActiveRadius thing: as you said, it seems like a relic of the past. It is not longer in the latest demos, and the reference to it in the MV version's help file is no longer relevant.

Monkeynugget

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Quick Question : I finally ported over the latest build into my main project going from V3.2 to V4.2 seems i missed a few versions but i noticed now that unlike previously

Any map that doesnt have this map notetag is now pure darkness, which is weird

ANyone know what would be driving that
1620553269542.png

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

0800d9e637692b8fe70e5bf0f8d410af.jpg

Im just gonna get a plugin or two....or five hundred.
MV/MZ dev: "I'll build an APK to run on Android mobile devices!"

Microsoft: "Here is the great news. Now you can play android apps on Windows 11!"
Work-in-progress dwarf character. Got him mostly there but he needs some earrings or hair jewellery.
TestChara-14.gif
I cant not for the life of me figure out where this bomb item comes from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darkescythe