Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I'll remove the UMC files from the project and start it's own repository. I really doubt many people use it anyway, and as it's focus is very different than the main plugin, no need to confuse people.
I meant to suggest that awhile ago actually but uh, like with so many things, I kind of kept forgetting. I don't normally touch it anyway since I know it's designed for your project, and it'd be silly for me (or others) to dump a bunch of new random things into it that you probably don't want bogging things down.

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, I meant to remove it some time ago. Like most things these days, I just have my hands in too many projects and forgot about it.

Honestly though I wouldn't really have minded if people messed with it. I mean I might not use their changes for my own game, but I'm also not the world's greatest programmer or anything. So I have no doubt people could have made it better.

Still no real need, better to just have a feature rich version for the public and I'll just focus on making this version tailored for my game. There's a lot of freedom in not needing to worry about public usage, pretty much like taking the kid gloves off. :LZSwink:

BronZ98

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Amazing Plugin!

Last edited:

RyanYe

RPG Game Lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I have encounted a bug with "regionlight" plugin command, here is the video clip:

the only event that related to light system is this:
Clipboard01.png

so this is a "autorun-erase event" event which means it is supposed to run once every time i enter this map. but as you see in the video, the command run at the start but fail to run on the second time i enter the room.

I have made a show text in this event and that will run as expected but the region light will not
so i conclude this is an issue of the regionlight command not the eventing.

help!

EDIT:
the outdoor map has a tint light to all map
I have tried to exit to a map without tint and re-enter the regionlight map, it works all fine
but the tint light will somehow OVERWRITE the regionlight although the tint light is not on current map!

Last edited:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I have encounted a bug with "regionlight" plugin command, here is the video clip:

the only event that related to light system is this:
View attachment 190791

so this is a "autorun-erase event" event which means it is supposed to run once every time i enter this map. but as you see in the video, the command run at the start but fail to run on the second time i enter the room.

I have made a show text in this event and that will run as expected but the region light will not
so i conclude this is an issue of the regionlight command not the eventing.

help!

EDIT:
the outdoor map has a tint light to all map
I have tried to exit to a map without tint and re-enter the regionlight map, it works all fine
but the tint light will somehow OVERWRITE the regionlight although the tint light is not on current map!
You've got something else going on here, because regionlight works fine on my end. You're using 4.2 right? And not using RM's in-house tinting system?

Edit: What's probably happening is you're not using the tint set #?????? command in the shop's autorun event. So going outside sets the lighting to full, then you go back inside and it remains full

RyanYe

RPG Game Lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You've got something else going on here, because regionlight works fine on my end. You're using 4.2 right? And not using RM's in-house tinting system?

Edit: What's probably happening is you're not using the tint set #?????? command in the shop's autorun event. So going outside sets the lighting to full, then you go back inside and it remains full
yes it's 4.2

i thought the "tint" works ONLY on current map, and the effect AUTOMATICALLY disappear when changing maps, doesn't it?

If the tint command works to all map regardless i change map or not
how can i set it works like it works only for current map?

thx

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes it's 4.2

i thought the "tint" works ONLY on current map, and the effect AUTOMATICALLY disappear when changing maps, doesn't it?

If the tint command works to all map regardless i change map or not
how can i set it works like it works only for current map?

thx
Tint basically sticks across maps until changed, so I find it a good idea to make sure every map sets the tint how it wants tints displayed.

Xina

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First, I want to thank everyone involved for making this plugin. It is awesome and I love it!
That said, I have a question regarding the flashlight feature.
I like the default beam length and don't really want to change it, but I'm having a problem in my maps where the light goes through walls. I use the regionblock function to block off the walls, which does work, but the remainder of the beam still appears on the other side of the wall. I don't want to use the regionblock on the other side of the wall because there is a path there, and it should be lit when the player is on the path. Is there another way to limit the beam?

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What's the main thing that would be causing slow down with this plugin?

I'm re-releasing a game on Steam that I lit with Khas's Ultra Lighting, but I'm running into some issues. I've got a part where the player arrives in a cave. There's 10 light sources and its not a big map (45x45).

For some reason though, when the player enters, it lags and drops the frames to 15 or so, then it sits on 30.

My game is basically a visual novel, so it's huge on cutscenes. Up until this point there are multiple scenes where the player is just advancing through dialogue boxes. Not sure if that makes a difference somewhow.

It's definitely this plugin that is causing the problem as well. I disabled most other things, but it's when I turn this plugin off that I get no slowdown at this exact spot of entering the cave.

Any ideas? I'd like to keep using this as Khas's isn't maintained at all, and I really love some of the features you guys are whipping up here, but unless I can sort out this issue I'm having then I probably need to jump back to Khas's for now.

EDIT: testing some more and the slowdown doesn't happen if I go to the start of the problematic cave area fast. Like if I skip all the cutscenes leading up until that point.

Does the plugin store something somewhere that could be building up and slowing it down by this point?

Last edited:

Bryanh

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
is there a way to pause time on common event call?, i know i could use Daynight speed 0 probably on a normal event.

thanks

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Xina Unfortunately, there is no raytracing in this plugin (for the sake of performance) but that also means things like walls, regionblocks, etc can only stop light in their specified area, not outside. The only solution I know of would be to use pressure plate type events (below player, on player touch) that, when stepped on, deactivate region block for a particular region and activate it for another. So if the player is in, say, the kitchen, they can't shine their light directly into the bedroom. But once they enter the bedroom, regionblock on the kitchen area is activated and regionblock on the bedroom area is deactivated, allowing the light to shine in that room normally. If that makes sense.

@Hayden RM has a weird thing (I think it's either pixi or nwjs that does it) where, when things get too heavy, it throttles the framerate to 30 "to help performance" but it's really annoying. You can even trigger it by spam-right-clicking to open/close the game menu really fast. Does that room also lag when this plugin is disabled? If so, how's your PC? If it's older, that might be the problem. It's also worth noting that when the debug console is open, it can sometimes cause a big performance hit too. Especially if something is writing to it frequently. Any lag related to the debug console is irrelevant once deployed though, thankfully.

@Bryanh Yeah, there's a plugin command you can stick in your common event. In MZ, it's Time Speed (set it to 0) and in MV, it's "Daynight speed 0"

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Hayden RM has a weird thing (I think it's either pixi or nwjs that does it) where, when things get too heavy, it throttles the framerate to 30 "to help performance" but it's really annoying. You can even trigger it by spam-right-clicking to open/close the game menu really fast. Does that room also lag when this plugin is disabled? If so, how's your PC? If it's older, that might be the problem. It's also worth noting that when the debug console is open, it can sometimes cause a big performance hit too. Especially if something is writing to it frequently. Any lag related to the debug console is irrelevant once deployed though, thankfully.

Yeh, I've seen how it throttles to 30. Usually, entering new scenes, saving or loading, etc. turns off the throttling and lets the game go back to 60 fps.

The room doesn't lag when this plugin is disabled. I've got 16gbs ram, a 4790k CPU, and a GTX 980, so I'd say my PC should be more than good enough. I also tried with a deployed build and the lag was still there.

It's so weird that I can start a game and send the player right to that map and it won't lag, but if I do a few cutscenes first then I get the lag. It's definitely the lights as well. The frame rate does improve when I move away from them, but not entirely all the way up to 60fps. If I go near a bunch of lights it'll drop to around 15 fps or so.

Unfortunately, I've spent more time than I can afford trying to figure out what the issue is. This game is already on Steam and the lighting was one of the things that is being re-done for an update. I'm on a deadline, so I've gone back to using Khas's light plugin. Don't really have a choice for now. Will be using Community Lighting in the follow up game though.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeh, I've seen how it throttles to 30. Usually, entering new scenes, saving or loading, etc. turns off the throttling and lets the game go back to 60 fps.

The room doesn't lag when this plugin is disabled. I've got 16gbs ram, a 4790k CPU, and a GTX 980, so I'd say my PC should be more than good enough. I also tried with a deployed build and the lag was still there.

It's so weird that I can start a game and send the player right to that map and it won't lag, but if I do a few cutscenes first then I get the lag. It's definitely the lights as well. The frame rate does improve when I move away from them, but not entirely all the way up to 60fps. If I go near a bunch of lights it'll drop to around 15 fps or so.

Unfortunately, I've spent more time than I can afford trying to figure out what the issue is. This game is already on Steam and the lighting was one of the things that is being re-done for an update. I'm on a deadline, so I've gone back to using Khas's light plugin. Don't really have a choice for now. Will be using Community Lighting in the follow up game though.
You don't have any odd parallel events being looped or anything, right? Just seems odd and like there's something more at work here because I have much bigger maps with a lot more lights which don't have that problem, so I'm at a loss for what's going on. :(

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You don't have any odd parallel events being looped or anything, right? Just seems odd and like there's something more at work here because I have much bigger maps with a lot more lights which don't have that problem, so I'm at a loss for what's going on. :(

Yeh, there's no parallel events in the problematic cave map or any in the maps that are used for cutscenes before it.

A couple of times it played through at 60 fps, but 9/10 it gets the terrible lag.

Up until this point the game is just non-stop cutscenes for a long time. I've gone through and checked every event, and I can't see anything that would be causing the issue.

The map had a lot of unused space as well, so I went and cut it right down. It's only 65 x 45 now, but that hasn't made a difference.

So, yeh, I'm at a loss as well lol. It's too bad, because I love the built in day/night cycle features among other things.

I'll figure it out at some point though hopefully.

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Just another update on this issue. Thought I'd mention it as it might give you some idea what's causing my issue:

I'm working on my second game and having the same issue on a map that has around 10 lights. The fps stays at 60 fps until I get to this scene. Then, maybe 80% of the time the FPS will stay at 60. There's no performance issues at all.

However, when I open the menu, the FPS stays at 60, but once I close it, the game will drop to around 18 fps.

Does that give you any ideas? It seems so weird to me lol.

DarkSearinox92

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Just another update on this issue. Thought I'd mention it as it might give you some idea what's causing my issue:

I'm working on my second game and having the same issue on a map that has around 10 lights. The fps stays at 60 fps until I get to this scene. Then, maybe 80% of the time the FPS will stay at 60. There's no performance issues at all.

However, when I open the menu, the FPS stays at 60, but once I close it, the game will drop to around 18 fps.

Does that give you any ideas? It seems so weird to me lol.

I give you some advise: update your nwjs to the latest version and try this scene (even the closing menu) in the game deployed, not in the test version.

Tell me if you have good results.

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I give you some advise: update your nwjs to the latest version and try this scene (even the closing menu) in the game deployed, not in the test version.

Tell me if you have good results.

Unfortunately, it didn't make a difference. Still dropping from 60 fps to around 11 fps for seemingly no reason.

DarkSearinox92

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Unfortunately, it didn't make a difference. Still dropping from 60 fps to around 11 fps for seemingly no reason.

Really?? With new nwjs and deployed project you also see lag? It's very strange ...

Try to remake the scene in another project. It's very strange that you're experimenting lag only after a cutscene.

Proxxie_Desu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to make the fire flickering more sinusoidal than purely random? I think the gradrnd variable in Bitmap.prototype.radialgradientFillRect is responsible for the size variation (since setting it to zero stops it), and I tried replacing the Math.random() in it with:
JavaScript:
Math.abs(Math.cos(Date.now() * Math.PI / 3000))
But it still looks almost as jittery. Tried changing the time constant (the 3000) and it didn't really do much. I modified Khas' plugin in a similar fashion but I can't figure out how to do the same here.

Lady_Elva

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I'm not sure if this was addressed or not (it probably was but that's a lot of reading), but I'm only wanting to have one map have dark lighting where I want my other maps to be normal. Do I need to set a tint or something? I'm still learning how rpg maker works and I just got MZ so I'm a bit of a newb. Thanks in advance!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

PSA: please stop putting the word 'Eternal' in your game titles.
RMMZ: "Simple enough for a child!"
also RMMZ: "What, you're trying to make an RPG and you didn't know about Euler angles?"
I kinda spent the day having my own little gamejam and came up with this Catastrophe!

GZOq45s.png
Have Defeated Enemy Join Party as Actor, Show Passage Status, & MZ-Chan Art | RPG Maker News #107

My outfit at Metrocon. It was fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zachimera