Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the video.

I would have two additionnal question:
Does the framerate drops also happens on the small map you showed in your video?
Did you use any other plugin during the playtest shown in your video?
Question one: Yes. Once it starts lagging it won't really stop until you restart the game. It does sometimes go back to being 60 fps but then when you move on to another map it drops back down to 15 or so.

Question two: I do have a lot of other plugins on but I've tried turning all the plugins off except for "community lighting" and the fps still drops down to 15. The other plugins doesn't seem to be the issue since it works when I set the "Player radius" to 0.

EDIT 1: Most of my plugins are from yanfly and SRD. But as mentioned above those do not cause the fps drop.

Last edited:

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Question one: Yes. Once it starts lagging it won't really stop until you restart the game. It does sometimes go back to being 60 fps but then when you move on to another map it drops back down to 15 or so.

Question two: I do have a lot of other plugins on but I've tried turning all the plugins off except for "community lighting" and the fps still drops down to 15. The other plugins doesn't seem to be the issue since it works when I set the "Player radius" to 0.

EDIT 1: Most of my plugins are from yanfly and SRD. But as mentioned above those do not cause the fps drop.
If you have the bug without any other plugin active, it is definitively the fault of this plugin.
I tried to replicate the issue on my old computer, but I didn't manage to do it.
Your computer seems clearly powerful enough to support the plugin, as your frame drop is stable at the start (and more higher than the 30~40 fps I got with my old computer).
It could be a weird memory leak or the plugin could be put in a state where it performs a bunch of useless computation, but without replication or debug logs, it is hard to say exactly what's happening.

More random questions:
-Do you have the last version of the plugin (4.2 for MV)?
-Does your map have any particularities I should be aware of (like a huge zone of regionblock tiles, or a bunch of conditional lights)?
-Does the issue happens with only two small maps, or do it need at least one large map?
-Also can you post a copy of your plugin parameters?

In any case this bug is very interesting. As I said I encounter something similar a long time ago, and if it can help to improve the plugin's stability, I will take it.

Last edited:

Arkos

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you have the bug without any other plugin active, it is definitively the fault of this plugin.
I tried to replicate the issue on my old computer, but I didn't manage to do it.
Your computer seems clearly powerful enough to support the plugin, as your frame drop is stable at the start (and more higher than the 30~40 fps I got with my old computer).
It could be a weird memory leak or the plugin could be put in a state where it performs a bunch of useless computation, but without replication or debug logs, it is hard to say exactly what's happening.

More random questions:
-Do you have the last version of the plugin (4.2 for MV)?
-Does your map have any particularities I should be aware of (like a huge zone of regionblock tiles, or a bunch of conditional lights)?
-Does the issue happens with only two small maps, or do it need at least one large map?
-Also can you post a copy of your plugin parameters?

In any case this bug is very interesting. As I said I encounter something similar a long time ago, and if it can help to improve the plugin's stability, I will take it.
1. Yes
2.On the map you can see in the video I posted, yes. I have region blocks laid out in order to play the right footstep sound depending on what I walk on. But I have tried it on maps without and its the same there.
3.Map size doesn't seem to matter. The maps you see in my video are of the smallest size.
Parameters.png
Gonna throw in this edit since I kind of figured out why it's happening.

EDIT: Screen size X and Y. That is the only thing I hadn't tried lowering...Yes I know, you don't have to tell me. Do you want me to ask for forgiveness or just throw myself out of the window? This is embarrassing.

So just to recap my process of trying to figure out how to "fix" this so as to not leave a shred of evidence that could compel you to think that I am an intellectual being. I run my game on a res of 1920x1080. At the time I tried doing quite a lot.

remove common events, regular map events and even went and created two empty maps, thinking that maybe I just have too much crap on my maps. Lastly I went and reduced the resolution back to 816x624 but it still lagged....Yeah. I reduced the screen res but I didn't bother reducing the screen size of this plugin.

I just tried the plugin at 816x624, no lag. No fps drop. No shred of intelligence. It's all good B):thumbsup-left:

P.S
May god have mercy on my dumb ass soul.

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
1. Yes
2.On the map you can see in the video I posted, yes. I have region blocks laid out in order to play the right footstep sound depending on what I walk on. But I have tried it on maps without and its the same there.
3.Map size doesn't seem to matter. The maps you see in my video are of the smallest size.
Gonna throw in this edit since I kind of figured out why it's happening.

EDIT: Screen size X and Y. That is the only thing I hadn't tried lowering...Yes I know, you don't have to tell me. Do you want me to ask for forgiveness or just throw myself out of the window? This is embarrassing.

So just to recap my process of trying to figure out how to "fix" this so as to not leave a shred of evidence that could compel you to think that I am an intellectual being. I run my game on a res of 1920x1080. At the time I tried doing quite a lot.

remove common events, regular map events and even went and created two empty maps, thinking that maybe I just have too much crap on my maps. Lastly I went and reduced the resolution back to 816x624 but it still lagged....Yeah. I reduced the screen res but I didn't bother reducing the screen size of this plugin.

I just tried the plugin at 816x624, no lag. No fps drop. No shred of intelligence. It's all good B):thumbsup-left:

P.S
May god have mercy on my dumb ass soul.
I will see later today if I can replicate the bug with a 1920x1080 screensize, as it is quite more that any resolution I tested the plugin with.

In any case I recommend this topic to get to find yourself what resolution your game need, as 1920x1080 is quite unusual (for starters, 1080 isn't even divisible by 48): https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/best-screen-resolution.50917/

Last edited:

Arkos

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've it set to 1080p so that it matches the art I create for the game. I've tried lower resolutions but then I'd have to scale it down which makes the art look really ugly and pixelated.

ChinaLake

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Could you please make the flashlight look like a cone and not overlapped circles?flashlight.jpg

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello,
Is it possible to display the hours used by this plugin?
Edit: Nevermind, I found how to make it work. You have to set the variables in plugin parameters (assign a variable to Save DaynightHours, Minutes, and Seconds), then set up a common event to display the hour using the default plugin TextPicture to display the variables as pictures. I can post a picture of my set up if someone wants me to.

Last edited:

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Could you please make the flashlight look like a cone and not overlapped circles?View attachment 200712

Hello, it is the circle around the character you want to get rid of?

Hello,
Edit: Nevermind, I found how to make it work. You have to set the variables in plugin parameters (assign a variable to Save DaynightHours, Minutes, and Seconds), then set up a common event to display the hour using the default plugin TextPicture to display the variables as pictures. I can post a picture of my set up if someone wants me to.

Yep, that's a good way to do it. Personaly I just use variable replacement in message windows, it is less pretty, but it does the job.

ChinaLake

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, it is the circle around the character you want to get rid of?
No it's the shape of the flashlight that I want changed to not have those curves but instead look like this

tumblr_inline_p7goctOr731uvtoyj_500.png

ChinaLake

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello,
Please do post a picture of your setup.

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Please do post a picture of your setup.
Sure! here it is:

Time HUD.pngThe empty pictures are here so the minutes are displayed in the right place. It displays the time in the upper left corner of the screen, though I guess with fiddling you could get it to display elsewhere.

ChinaLake

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sure! here it is:

View attachment 200955The empty pictures are here so the minutes are displayed in the right place. It displays the time in the upper left corner of the screen, though I guess with fiddling you could get it to display elsewhere.
Thanks. How do you make the ": :Text = \v[2]:" appear below the Plugin Command?

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks. How do you make the ": :Text = \v[2]:" appear below the Plugin Command?
Use Plugin Command (page 3 of event commands, all the way down and to the right). Select the TextPicture plugin. It will automatically use the command name Set Text Picture, because that the only one this plugin uses. The argument Text will appear. Double click it and type \v[2]: (or change the variable number depending on the variable number you assigned to Save DaynightHours). Repeat for Save DaynightMinutes, minus the ":".

ChinaLake

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Use Plugin Command (page 3 of event commands, all the way down and to the right). Select the TextPicture plugin. It will automatically use the command name Set Text Picture, because that the only one this plugin uses. The argument Text will appear. Double click it and type \v[2]: (or change the variable number depending on the variable number you assigned to Save DaynightHours). Repeat for Save DaynightMinutes, minus the ":".
I don't have the choice of TextPicture plugintextpicture.JPG

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
No it's the shape of the flashlight that I want changed to not have those curves but instead look like this

View attachment 200913

You can play with the paramaters of the 'flashlight' command to modify the beam length, width and density. I agree it may be a little limited. It is not that easy to make radient looks like flashlights.

I don't have the choice of TextPicture plugin

You are on MV, while ShiningPhoibe is using MZ, where plugin command are more user-friendly.
I don't know if there is a MV version of the plugin ShiningPhoibe is using.

ChinaLake

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can play with the paramaters of the 'flashlight' command to modify the beam length, width and density. I agree it may be a little limited. It is not that easy to make radient looks like flashlights.

You are on MV, while ShiningPhoibe is using MZ, where plugin command are more user-friendly.
I don't know if there is a MV version of the plugin ShiningPhoibe is using.
I dont have faith the parameters will be able to give the look I want but I'll try if it can get close.

Oops I didn't notice he's on MZ.

desertbriar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love this and am very glad it's very easy to switch over from Terrax! I can already feel the performance improve

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Would it be possible to only change the light of a certain area on a map?

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Would it be possible to only change the light of a certain area on a map?

You mean something like having one particular darker room on a map?
You can easily achieve this by placing an event at the entry of that room who changes the light when the player pass over it, and another event at the exit who reverts the lighting back to normal

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Surprising nobody, it turns out "next Friday" for the next Jump into Javascript has become "possibly Sunday if you're lucky" XD
Folks, if anyone sends you a message inviting you to add their API to your game, please report them. We don't want people spamming our members asking them to add stuff to their games for their own (or others') benefit. We've updated the forum rules to confirm this.
I'm listening to iiluminaughtii talking about the secrets behind shady businesses and scams. Meanwhile I'm writing a fanfic about Sephiroth from FF7, one specifically for my stepmom. I'll get to give it to her, too, because my boss said I could take the holidays off! Dec. 22-27 I will be in Orlando, and maybe Fort Myers too, visiting my dad and stepmom!
Of course, I bought a handful of games on the Steam Black Friday sale. Will I try them? Will I complete any? Who knows...
I don't really have any neat updates today about how I screwed up programming... But if you want to observe the intensenes of me programming, then you can check out my stream :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ringoman