Brancliff

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can change the tint of the battle screen with plugin command, but it would change the whole screen, not the region around the flame.

And this circles back to what I said when I first appeared on this thread:

Hey, friends! Quick question here- is this plugin still taking feature requests?

Now that I've confirmed it doesn't really work the way I thought it would with four? five? lighting engines, I want to submit a feature request for attaching lights to animations and states. That's actually what this was about- I wasn't looking for support per se, I was looking for that functionality added in. It would have a lot of benefits:
  • Placing a light based on an animation would be far more consistent. If I can attach a light to a fire animation, every time I call that fire animation, it would spawn the same light.
  • It would also be less clunky - placing another event near something that you may want to light up is a functional workaround, but painful to manage if it's something you want to do more than a few times. Every time you want to do it, you'd have to double up on the events, and if there are more animations that might show a different kind of light, it can be even more to manage.
  • Fights in dark places would be a great spectacle to look at! Think a light mage adventuring through an unholy temple or a dark cave - there's so much that could be done here! It might not have great gameplay benefits, but it would be great to watch and super memorable.
Since this is the only lighting engine I know of that's still getting updates, I sorta have to ask here... And since it's a community project, it might not have to all be shouldered by one person. Since its developed both for MV and MZ, tons of people could benefit from it.

10theodie10

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You were speaking about states and animation, so I assumed you were speaking about battle.
So basically, you have an event on the map (your fire) that you want to be light up when an animation is playing on it?
In what it is different different from making it a conditional light (possibly with a cycle of colors who mimic your animation) that you would activate just before playing the animation and deactivate after the animation is finished?

Have you tried with an important brightness for your event?
Sorry I realized I wasn't all that clear. I meant something similar to how it can grow/shrink for the player in the plugin commands but for an event(s) on the map instead.

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
And this circles back to what I said when I first appeared on this thread:

Now that I've confirmed it doesn't really work the way I thought it would with four? five? lighting engines, I want to submit a feature request for attaching lights to animations and states. That's actually what this was about- I wasn't looking for support per se, I was looking for that functionality added in. It would have a lot of benefits:
  • Placing a light based on an animation would be far more consistent. If I can attach a light to a fire animation, every time I call that fire animation, it would spawn the same light.
  • It would also be less clunky - placing another event near something that you may want to light up is a functional workaround, but painful to manage if it's something you want to do more than a few times. Every time you want to do it, you'd have to double up on the events, and if there are more animations that might show a different kind of light, it can be even more to manage.
  • Fights in dark places would be a great spectacle to look at! Think a light mage adventuring through an unholy temple or a dark cave - there's so much that could be done here! It might not have great gameplay benefits, but it would be great to watch and super memorable.
Since this is the only lighting engine I know of that's still getting updates, I sorta have to ask here... And since it's a community project, it might not have to all be shouldered by one person. Since its developed both for MV and MZ, tons of people could benefit from it.

Ok, it is more clear now. And indeed it would be very impressive.
Question: how would you indicate animation X must show which light?
Remember animation don't have notetags. It would be plugin parameters then?

Sorry I realized I wasn't all that clear. I meant something similar to how it can grow/shrink for the player in the plugin commands but for an event(s) on the map instead.

Currently you can't.

As for now, I'm currently trying to finish my own game, so I don't exactly have much spare time to introduce new features in Community Lighting, but if anyone else want to jump on the matter, that person is welcome.

10theodie10

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Currently you can't.

As for now, I'm currently trying to finish my own game, so I don't exactly have much spare time to introduce new features in Community Lighting, but if anyone else want to jump on the matter, that person is welcome.
Ahh okay. I wasn't sure if I was just not seeing it. Thanks for letting me know and best of luck on your project ^.^

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess you could technically use the animation name.

Fire One 2 <cl: light 250 #ffffff>

For the original question about lighting on animations though, my advice for now is to just use the "Between Background and Battlers" setting in the plugin parameters, as it lets the animations (and battlers/enemies) show more clearly. It does clash with certain battleback-manipulating plugins, unfortunately.

night-lighting.jpg

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I guess you could technically use the animation name.

Fire One 2 <cl: light 250 #ffffff>

For the original question about lighting on animations though, my advice for now is to just use the "Between Background and Battlers" setting in the plugin parameters, as it lets the animations (and battlers/enemies) show more clearly. It does clash with certain battleback-manipulating plugins, unfortunately.

A possible way to help not clashing to much with battlebacks plugins would be to change inside
Spriteset_Battle.prototype.createBattleLightmask

JavaScript:
this._back2Sprite.addChild(this._battleLightmask);

to:

JavaScript:
this._battleField.addChild(this._battleLightmask);

Problem it may force Community user to reorder their plugins or even cause other incompatibilities.

Brancliff

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

I think the animation's name would be the best place to put it. It's true that the animations tab doesn't have notetags, but this would let you still place it on... the same tab as you'd be on if it did have notetags(?)

Thanks for the talk - I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from on this! The thing I was most worried about was properly communicating that it would be a good idea that would be cool and worth doing xnx If anyone does get started on this, let me know! It's not super crucial to my project, so I'll keep on working, but I'd also be super jazzed to see it happen.

Nereid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
none
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's somehow stopped working... even copied the cat, diamond, blue light, chest from the demo, but light doesn't change... what could I be missing?

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
It's somehow stopped working... even copied the cat, diamond, blue light, chest from the demo, but light doesn't change... what could I be missing?

Can you provide us a little bit of context? There may be many reasons why the lights don't show up, may be your tint is #FFFFFF (no darkness at all). Possibly the lighting is deactivated because you called the 'light deactivate' plugin command, or you turned off the 'lighting effect' option...

Nereid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
none
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That is set in the 'Light settings' event in the demo, right? I copied it too... I even copied the whole Lightless Tower map and it starts up bright, with light never changing...

Never mind, I did indeed turn off the lighting effect option for some reason late at night and forgot I did so...

Last edited:

Arayell

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Apologies, I haven't notice the response earlier.
Number 1 seems a really easy addition, I will look for it.
Thank you, it would be awesome :)
For number 2, I never used a true 8-direction plugin before, so I have no idea how difficult it would be or how to implement it properly. May one of the others can help on this subject?
Fair point - if any one else has an idea, do please advise (js coding logic of the attached file in my original post might be of some use, I hope)
For number 3, can you describe exactly what you are looking for?
Ah, yes. Essentially Shora's plugin allows for two things, nr 1 is just FYI because it's really attractive effect-wise:

1. Casting dynamic shadows - e.g., if you have a "pole" and you would place a light source, next to it, a dynamic shadow would be cast on the opposite site of that pole, creating an illusion that the light is physically there. It must use some calculating power, because shadows react to flame flickering as well as mixing multiple light sources (e.g., your flashlight would cast separate shadow and intersecting parts would mix). Moving between pillars is a feast to the eyes. I imagine this could mean a ton of work, so not even going there - just FYI.

2. Flashlight fluent movement - That was truly neat too - Imagine that flashlight casting would happen on a clock face. When you turn your character, say from left (9hrs) to right (3hrs) with flashlight on, instead of immediate light cast in the opposite direction, you get a "drag" effect, (or rather picture transform effect as Shora uses pngs for lights), where the light starts to quickly move from 9hrs to 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 and stops at 3hrs. It creates an illusion that the whole character rotates naturally in the new direction. Small thing, but is giving that "wow" effect to a relatively simple thing. :)

If it is for animations, you don't need any light plugin for that. In the parameters you can give to an animation part, there is 'fusion mode'. You can play with it to make a light effect (For example, screen will display the animation in a brighter color).

There is plugin to make states be shown as animation, so you can use the same trick for states.

limsoonchiong

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi experts, has anyone encounter similar problems as mine? Any solution?Screenshot 2021-11-30 193549.png

limsoonchiong

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Your screen probably don't fit the plugin parameters about screen size.
Thanks. I don't know how I missed the screen size settings in the plugin page. I feel so silly now...

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Would you know where I can change this? Did I missed some settings In the plugin setting or do I have to tweak the code?

Since MV, you no longer have to directly edit the code of the plugin.
The parameters you are looking for are 'Screensize X' and 'Screensize Y'.
They are in the subgroup 'Offset and sizes'.

Galkamik

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi all, I'm currently using RPG Maker MZ and I noticed that the 'Light Active Radius' can no longer be used. Is there a reason for this? I was hoping to turn on the lights as the player gets closer towards a light source and off when the player gets further away from it.

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hi all, I'm currently using RPG Maker MZ and I noticed that the 'Light Active Radius' can no longer be used. Is there a reason for this? I was hoping to turn on the lights as the player gets closer towards a light source and off when the player gets further away from it.

On my fork, I added the feature back to MZ, and made it works correctly for MV.
@Arayell I added the X offset for the flashlight too.

Galkamik

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
On my fork, I added the feature back to MZ, and made it works correctly for MV.
@Arayell I added the X offset for the flashlight too.
Thank you! I'm assuming I'll find the new script in the Github link?

KillerCotton

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Gonna ask a quick question here, and sorry if this has been asked anywhere else on the thread-
Is it possible to change more attributes of the built in player light other than just the radius? I'd like to be able to change the color and everything too. If not, is it possible to make my own player light?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You thought kids rooms were messy. Look at this.
Back in the house and I'm hungry
Yoshi!
DNPwhy.gif

You're using that item wrong... TwT

Trying to get the mechanics down for a cute, story-driven board game! I think I've accomplished dice movement, item effects, and activating a space's event when you land on it. Art is WIP. Hope to open a thread about the game soon!
My entire family and I have Covid... If it's this bad with the vaccine, without must be terrible. Stay safe, everyone. This thing is a doozy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Merodu