ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
is it possible to stop the light going through the walls so it will be more dynamic?
this is only possible inside khas ultralightning though.

maybe possible to create the same effect?

ImaginaryVillain

Resident of Silent Hill... Apparently
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can use TileBlock and/or RegionBlock to block the lights.

Moon_Haven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Regarding the demo, if you downloaded it before this post, download it again. I pruned it down to about 60mb and forgot to update the title theme, so it locks up because it can't find the title music. The current version fixes that issue.
You can shave off a massive chunk of Mb by removing:

- All sounds and musics (it's a lighting demo, no need for that stuff).

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ShadowDragon
to add to @ImaginaryVillain's help, @Aesica has also made a demo highlighting all the functions of the plugin and how to use them properly, I really suggest checking it out, its worth it. You can find it at the very beginning of the thread.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got the demo, but the light just dissapear,

like, when you are behind the wall, it shine through it (if you block that, its gone),
but if you are in front of it, its also gone which should not, if you know khas untralightning
(while he got shadows in it) its much more dynamic.

the plugin furthermor is really cool, specially the disco slime so to speak.

but to come close to khas lightning or the some cool features in ocrams_Lights,
this can become even more usefull if you can surpass the effects, but like most
light plugins, its complicated to use, but you can do alot of nice things when
stuff gets working :)

Keep up this nice plugin and I see how far this goes.
I try to learn from it and see if I can also make some more tiny plugins to use
if I can understand them more and even extend some I cant do yet.

Keep up the awesome work on this one.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
is it possible to stop the light going through the walls so it will be more dynamic?
this is only possible inside khas ultralightning though.

maybe possible to create the same effect?
If you mean lighting effects that are outright stopped by walls, as in preventing a long flashlight beam from penetrating a wall to illuminate the other side, then no. Besides, ray casting (the process by which you calculate the intersection of lines originating from a specific set of points) can add a fair amount of overhead to the plugin, and one of the goals with this one is performance.

RegionBlock is the closest you can get, unfortunately.

Note that there's <cl: light 250 #ffffff D1-4>, where D1, D2, D3, and D4 can be used to create "wall lights" (such as a torch on a wall) with light that doesn't penetrate past the tile they're positioned on in the specified direction. The demo uses them at the entrance of the lightless tower during daytime as well as the inside of the clown's tent.

You can shave off a massive chunk of Mb by removing:

- All sounds and musics (it's a lighting demo, no need for that stuff).
I think I trimmed most of those out. I did keep one music track though just for the sake of not making the demo completely boring.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aesica I think if you can combine it with event region (from a plugin) might work to block it
when you go through the door, that switch OFF if you are in front and ON when you through
a door path that you go behind the wall.

but I understand that performence goes on top, I see if I can use it in my side project,
my main project is going to use ocrams because of some nice features.

I try to learn the rest of the effects.

Moon_Haven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I trimmed most of those out. I did keep one music track though just for the sake of not making the demo completely boring.
My experience with RMMV is limited, so I could be very wrong, but I think you can trim all the m4a file, as these would only be needed on iOS platform (maybe Mac as well?) That would be some 10mb. Then if you really want to nitpick, all the unused sounds (like paralyze, thunder, etc.) maybe 4mb? And then the unused SF_ tilesets (except SF_Inside), which I think is about 4mb.

Not sure if it's worth the trouble...

In any case, thanks for the sweet demo, it nicely shows what can be achieved with the plugin!

PS: Had a good laugh at the "Hard Pass" when talking to the clown.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My experience with RMMV is limited, so I could be very wrong, but I think you can trim all the m4a file, as these would only be needed on iOS platform (maybe Mac as well?) That would be some 10mb. Then if you really want to nitpick, all the unused sounds (like paralyze, thunder, etc.) maybe 4mb? And then the unused SF_ tilesets (except SF_Inside), which I think is about 4mb.

Not sure if it's worth the trouble...

In any case, thanks for the sweet demo, it nicely shows what can be achieved with the plugin!

PS: Had a good laugh at the "Hard Pass" when talking to the clown.
I left the m4as in because I wasn't sure if mac users needed them in the editor as well. (I know **** all about apple crap) If someone can confirm that they aren't necessary though, I'll kill them too.

And the clown? Ha! I almost didn't add him because I wasn't sure if his brand of humor was over the top or not, but I'm glad people like him. :)

ScorchedGround

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm maybe there is a way to combine multiple direction commands to the notetag?

Like so:
<CL: Light 150 #FFFFFF B40 D1D2D3>
(even though I don't care how the formatting would go)

I tried making a "corner" lamp working around the system by creating multiple light sources with a different direction each, but this came out of it:

1.png
2.png
So I either have to accept that light can shine "through" the regionblock or make sure that light never passes through regionblock entirely. I personally would not mind either to be honest.

I don't know how easy this would be to program since I don't know much about JS as of yet.
So in the end this is more of a suggestion than a request.

Edit: maybe it is also possible to make a system where instead of making 4 static directions, you can choose which "angle range" of the light source is visible.
So if 360° is the whole circle and the top-most point is 0°, you could write something like:

<CL: Light 150 #FFFFFF B40 0-180>
which would mean that a part of the circle will get cut off at 181° to 360°

Again, this just came to my head, it is probably not realistic to implement though

Last edited:

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
It is quite easy to implement quarter-lights like those ones,
so creating a triple-quarter one shouldn't be that difficult.

Capture.PNG

EDIT: @ScorchedGround Are you looking for something like this?

Capture.PNG

The candlestick is the only light source of the map (I forgot to give it an apparence with burning candles now that I think about it). Note that this map doesn't use any tile/region block.
Here is the map the screenshot come from:

Capture2.PNG

PS: what I'm showing is part of the 'experiment', so you can't do it yet with the current plugin. :rwink:

PPS: For the radius part: for me it seems quite contradictory with the fact that RPG maker uses a grid system. Demi, unity, quarters and triple quarters are the only shapes I think are coherent with that fact.

Last edited:

ImaginaryVillain

Resident of Silent Hill... Apparently
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Updated the first post with the new demo and script.

CombatJazz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm a bit dense, can someone explain to me how RegionBlock works? But, like, very ELI5? I'm trying to create a fireplace and not have the lighting effect go through the walls of the house.

EDIT: Also, how possible would it be to have an offset notetag parameter? I use doodads to put my fireplace in the center of a 24x24 grid rather than 48x48 and that means i can't really set a light on it in a way that doesn't look slightly weird.

EDIT 2: I got the region lighting to work, kind of, but then it does this!

2020-08-17 03_00_35-A Treatise of Golems.png
:(

Last edited:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CombatJazz Regionblock basically just tells the plugin not to draw lighting effects (matching its filter) on any tiles with that region id, but that's it. The plugin does not support raycasting (preventing light from being drawn past the blocked tile based on the point of origin).

CombatJazz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CombatJazz Regionblock basically just tells the plugin not to draw lighting effects (matching its filter) on any tiles with that region id, but that's it. The plugin does not support raycasting (preventing light from being drawn past the blocked tile based on the point of origin).
So there is unfortunately no method with this plugin to accomplish what I have in mind? And I imagine similarly about offsets?

ScorchedGround

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CombatJazz

The best you could probably do is to either

A ) make the radius of the lightsource small enough so that it does not go over the regionblock
or
B ) experimt with the directions D1 through D12 in the lightsource's notetag, for example you could put a lightsource in the top left corner of the oven and make it so the light only goes down and to the right.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So there is unfortunately no method with this plugin to accomplish what I have in mind? And I imagine similarly about offsets?
Unfortunately, your best bet is to try what @ScorchedGround suggested using the directional settings, and no, there's currently no offset settings. Based on what I suspect you're after in terms of lighting, I think one of the Khas plugin (I forget the exact name of them) might be more suitable so try giving those a shot. They are a bit more processor-intensive though, as ray-based lighting generally is.

Ys42

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to use a flashlight on event with a better quality? Cause atm there is visible rings of light and it doesnt look well if it goes any big

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Is there a way to use a flashlight on event with a better quality? Cause atm there is visible rings of light and it doesnt look well if it goes any big
I'm not a big user of the flashlight myself, so I would be easier to understand what exactly you are looking for with a screenshot and the corresponding event tag.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

@wrigty12 hi! thanks for showing interest in my work. Sadly the tablet I'm using broke, so I wasn't able to create anything for weeks. Got a new one with display, I'm still not used to it though, so I'm still practicing, doing basic drawings again. Also I'm in my last year of college. Thesis, projects and other activities takes most of my time ;_;.
I'll get back to it whenever I get a free time.
Any artists here planning on participating in the Inktober art prompts this October?
It's right around the corner.
It's rpg maker related so I'll post it here, I worked on a little free rpg maker zine and this was my piece. Play Grimm's Hollow if you haven't already, I liked it a lot. (i don't remember if posting a link to a product even if free is allowed via profile posts, so if anyone knows lemme know)

Suddenly arrived to work and got the pink slip on a contract O_O wait, did i forget something??? (sobbing in corner rn)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mordei