Community Poll: Style Preference

Which style do you use most in your projects?

• RTP

Votes: 180 51.7%
  • DS/DS+

Votes: 41 11.8%
  • Retro

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • POP!

Votes: 34 9.8%
  • Time Fantasy

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 47 13.5%

• Total voters

Darmok0

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I own a fair amount of the resources sold in the online store so picking one particular style of artwork

would be hard, as an artist myself, I appreciate it all. I make it a point to pick a certain style based on

the story, although to be honest, over the past year or so I have been leaning heavily towards

PV Games style of art. Like I mentioned above, it all depends on the story and the world I've envisioned.

Caz

Green Eyes Blonde Dragon
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For the record, this isn't an official poll or anything, it's just for the benefit of contributors who can work within vastly different styles. It doesn't need to be overcomplicated with options. Being that the thread is open for comments, the idea was that if you wanted to vote for a specific RTP or "Other," you could comment below to be more specific. Discussion is totally welcome, and I'm sure everyone would actually really love to hear specifics.

This poll isn't about who "wins" or which comes first. The purpose of visible, vote-for-vote numbers is so that we have an idea of how many people use which style. The poll isn't for you to see which style is most popular, it's for our contributors to see how many people they can appeal to. It's not "flawed," it's working exactly as intended.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I voted "other" because I primarily use Celianna's and ones that work well with that. While I realize it is technically probably in the RTP category, there is actually a lot of the RTP that just does not mesh well, which is why I considered it "other".

felsenstern

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Last edited by a moderator:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This poll isn't asking which one we like best, it's asking what gets used most.  I would imagine that the majority of users never buy a resource pack, so the RTP winning by that much is no surprise at all.  Even for people who have some packs and would prefer to use them it may still end up being that they have used RTP more just because people don't usually make non-RTP games until after their first or second game.  I'd be interested in seeing a poll asking about actual preference, which one do you like best including packs you don't yet own?

This is still proving interesting, though I think a poll about what is used should allow for multiple answers.

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I am shocked that DS is leading among the dlc.

I haven't even seen a commercial game use that style (although I generally only search through Steam).

@Sharm - I guessed it was a preference pole, due to it being in the restaff section (to gauge what people want).

Plus PV Games style is not included in the poll (I see a lot of games made in that style) and I thought it was excluded due to the type of resource the packs are about (I have never seen a resource made for restaff in that style).

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In the past I have used RTP, however they were all "test games" more or less. This one is for real... we are using all custom graphics.

amerk

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't mind the RTP at all, and I've seen very impressive examples come out of them (both in screenshots and games) that show the power of the RTP in the hands of creativity. Lighting tricks can really make a world of difference.

For me, it's about the following factors:

1. Are the resources used well?

2. Is the story well written (if applicable) and does it make sense? Does it capture my attention?

3. Are the game mechanics functional? No glitches?

4. Balanced without being overly easy or difficult, or requiring heavy amounts of grinding?

From there, I have to figure in if the game is free or not:

1. Free - I lower my expectations a tad bit to an average or slightly above average for each of the factors above.

2. Commercial - I raise my expectations a bit to being above average for the factors above.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am shocked that DS is leading among the dlc.

I haven't even seen a commercial game use that style (although I generally only search through Steam).

@Sharm - I guessed it was a preference pole, due to it being in the restaff section (to gauge what people want).

Plus PV Games style is not included in the poll (I see a lot of games made in that style) and I thought it was excluded due to the type of resource the packs are about (I have never seen a resource made for restaff in that style).
Well, I do think a lot of times preference and use run together, so for some the answer may be the same. I could however, see some people really liking a certain style, but not have bought the packs yet to actually use it.

Also, I would guess PV Games is not listed because it is not a style that the restaff work with.

EastsideTrouble

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I really prefer the VXA RTP style to the MV one. 

SwiftIllusion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For me I love the tilesets for RPG maker XP, and the new characters for RPG maker MV.

If I had the opportunity to have all the resources necessary for a completed game right now though, I'd love to be able to make a game with something similar to the DS style artwork, but there's not enough of that available.
So with the boundaries setup by compatibility and availability, I'll inevitably be restricted to use MV resources until any success is found that creates the opportunity to work with an artist, wherein I would then follow a custom art style that suited them.

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I chose DS/DS+ but to be more specific, I like to use a combination of DS/DS+, RMXP RTP, and Pixel Myth. ^_^

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I couldn't choose just one, so I went with other. It all depends on what game I'm working on that I'll switch up the style. Though I love PVG, I have a soft spot for RTP. DS is cute too. I can make POP! and Time Fantasy style sprites all day (I first got into spriting copying TSR gold box games hehehehe). If I had time to crank out my own sets and such, I wouldn't throw so many bones at buying packs just to increase speed in the pipeline. (most of my time is wasted debugging omg).

Cadh20000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I use mostly RTP with some custom edits and a few completely custom pieces. While more
rare I do occasionally use some of the other sets, just not too often. I'll be using them more in the future though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i use the rtp.... but prefer a more anime style in the face portraits and busts of characters....

AceTheMad

Village Madman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Anime or Kaduki. That's basically it...

LewisDruid

Lewis Druid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm going to sound like a total noob, but what is the difference between all of those? I only that RPT is the style used to design RPG Maker's tilesets...

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The other styles are the styles of commercial packs available in the store. They each have their look which typically clashes with the RTP style. You can preview the packs in the store to get an idea of what they look like, but for the sake of this poll, if you don't know what they are, I'm assuming you've not used them, therefore would not "prefer" them.

LewisDruid

Lewis Druid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you mlogan :D I'll be sure to go check them out!

LewisDruid

Lewis Druid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think DS looks the best, with Time Fantasy at a close second for me. They both bring me back to my childhood :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It seems like this is going to be another remote semester. RIP.
I don't like linear gear progression in games. I'd like to see more gear be useful from start to finish. This is also true for skills. I also like finding overpowered gear, and don't enjoy games that are too balanced.
Framework is getting closer to completion. Adding more QoL changes for users.
I'm very excited with DE:VOID! And FYI Darkness of Hope - The Pocket Watch in development, so please be excited!
The more I look at the QPlugins... The more I am amazed at what they can do. Which I'm not going to lie is pretty awkward, because I already consider them far and away the best plugins MV has to offer. :kaoback:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRenato