Compendium of Questions.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Rakuda88, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Rakuda88

Rakuda88 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Greetings,

i'm a fairly new RPGMaker (VXa) user, i'm loving the program so far, the way events, maps, graphic and other assets are easily handled, the way it's set to use by people who have no prior knowledge in programming. I've tinkered with for few weeks, but my projects, if i can even call them that, are consistently bad for various reason (be writer's block, being too cliché and generic, held back by the limitations, not fun to play or all of the above)

So i have wanted to try something different, but the amount of information out there is kind of overwhelming and i ended up in the forum instead. If any veteran maker can take a minute to answer these questions, since the're mostly technical i'd be a great help to know if i should start working on this or scrap it up in the stage of proto-idea:

TL;DR

1. Is it possible to disable the party option altogether and/or modify the UI (incl. in battle) to look good as a single player game?

2. Is it possible to disable a game's Level Progression System (
    want to make a game's combat have emphasis on equipment rather than player level and the built-in stat boost it provides)?

3. Is it possible to make a more elaborate crafting system (
    weapon recycle or destroy and "slot"/upgrade" implementation)?

4. Is it possible to safely implement ammo as a resource/item and tie it up with skill use, as a cost?

Thank you for your time, if you seen and read this.

If this is the wrong place to post this - i'm not keen on forum posts, apologies for any unwarranted violations.

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    'Game Mechanics Design' is for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level. "How do I...?" (implementation) questions go in the Support forum for the engine you are using.

I've moved this thread to RPGMaker VX Ace. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Just a heads up for the future - we recommend that people do one question per thread. Our experience is that when there are several questions in one thread, it can get very confused/confusing. It also means that if anyone in the future has the same question, they are unlikely to find the discussion (and hopefully the solution) if it's mixed in with other questions.

The quick answer to all of those is yes, they can be done.
    1. Will probably need a script.
    2. Done in the database - on the classes tab, set level 1 to whatever stat you want and level 99 to the same stat. That would keep the stat level. If you did not want 'level up' to occur at all, then you will probably need a script.
    3. There is a wide range of crafting scripts available.
    4. I know that this has been done, but I've never done it myself, so don't know how it was done.

If you want a script, then you will need to post a thread per request in RGSS3 Script Requests, with as much detail as you possibly can.

But first, I suggest you wait and see if anyone can suggest a way of doing any of these in the database.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  3. Roninator2

Roninator2 Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There are many ways to do this. You need to search for a master script list and you may find what you want. Some systems are easy if you just go with what it offers, others are harder to implement.
    I would imagine that if you set the max level of all characters to 1 then the leveling system would do nothing. Plus set earned exp from battles to 0.
    There are a few crafting systems out there. Look for them. Maybe one is what you would like.
    There is a gun ammo system. Should be on the master script list.

results - look for scripts, there are many. http://rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
    Make a new thread for each question individually. Report this thread to close it. Like Kes said, it's a mess if you have more than one question in a thread.

4. Rakuda88

Rakuda88 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Apologies for posting on the wrong section.

Thank you very much for the prompt answers. i might be repeating myself, but my intention was to get a grasp of the limitations (what can be circumvented and what cannot be), this is why i numbered the questions, as to reduce confusion and mixups.

so now that i know it's possible i'll go and explore the suggestions. Thx again ;)

5. Shiro-chan

Shiro-chan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For the first question, I had the same issue so here is my script for it:
    Code:
    class Scene_Menu < Scene_MenuBase
      #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
      # * Create Command Window
      def create_command_window
        @command_window = Window_MenuCommand.new
        @command_window.set_handler(:item,      method(:command_item))
        @command_window.set_handler(:skill,     method(:command_personal))
        @command_window.set_handler(:equip,     method(:command_personal))
        @command_window.set_handler(:status,    method(:command_personal))
        @command_window.set_handler(:formation, method(:command_formation))
        @command_window.set_handler(:save,      method(:command_save))
        @command_window.set_handler(:load,      method(:command_load))
        @command_window.set_handler(:game_end,  method(:command_game_end))
        @command_window.set_handler(:cancel,    method(:return_scene))
      end
      # * [Continue] Command
      def command_load
        SceneManager.call(Scene_Load)
      end
    end

class Window_MenuCommand < Window_Command
      # * Create Command List
      def make_command_list
        add_main_commands
        #add_formation_command
        add_original_commands
        add_command("Load", :load, continue_enabled)
        add_save_command
        add_game_end_command
      end
      # * Get Activation State of Continue
      def continue_enabled
        DataManager.save_file_exists?
      end
    end

There are probably better ways, but hey, it works at least.

6. Rakuda88

Rakuda88 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you. i'll give it a try.