DigiDamage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Hello!

First time user with RPGM VX Ace.

I've been following some tutorials on how to create a game with VX Ace, and i've done some pretty cool stuff in my game so far, but i've stumbled upon a problem now that I can't figure out.

First off, it's an horror game, so no quest journals or any other classic RPG standards.

The problem is that I have made an "To do" list for the character to complete before end of "Day 1", it's like an intro or such. But I want him to do the things from the list in a certain order.

Example:

"To do list:

- Get book from library

- Eat dinner

- Sleep"

Player goes to dinner table first, action button on dinner table, character says: "I should fetch the book first before I eat dinner"

And player goes and fetches the book, THEN he goes to dinner table and can trigger "Eat dinner" event, and so on.

Can someone explain to me how I can make this work in some way?

Best Regards DigiDamage

ncognito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think this is what your wanting to do:

Set an event on the food

Set an event on your bookshelf/desk or were ever your book is (remember to set a 2nd page with self switch A is on in the conditon box)

Set event on your bed

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the answer above works if you have an item or condition for every task, but that can be tedious if you have a large number of tasks.

An alternative approach is to define a variable "Tasksofday1" and make yourself a list which part of the tasks is assigned to which number.

Then in every event, you check if the variable is lower, the same or higher than the number you want for that task.

Lower should give a message that you need to do other things first

The same would fulfill that task and then increase the variable by +1

Higher should give a message that you already did that.

In this case, you can also use the conditions on a second event page for a higher value to make the picture of the item/event disappear or change after te task is completed.

This way is a little more work in the case of a small number of tasks, but it makes things easier for a larger number of tasks.

DigiDamage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Thank you for the replies!

I tried ncognito's answer, because I only have 3 tasks to do before the final task(which leads into a cutscene and the intro is over). But i've encountered another problem now, so here's my setup (don't wanna give spoilers, so i'll just give the tasks other names)

Tasks:

#1 Talk to NPC / No problems here, can't do any chores before talking to him

#2 Fix a machine / This can be started, as it should after task #1

#3 Do something in the kitchen sink / However, if I try to do this before I do task #2, it'll still run the event. :unsure: I've tried to add another cond branch on this task, [fix machine], but it will still run either way. What am I doing wrong?

#4 Final task that leads to cutscene / This can still not be done after task #1 is completed, as it should.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
we need a screenshot of the event (including all pages) to solve that. Most probably the conditions are set wrong, allowing the wrong page of the event to execute - but there are too much options to check everything by Q&A about your event, while a screenshot allows us to see everything at once.

If you're concerned about spoilers (you shouldn't be here, but that's your decision) then black out the text messages of the screenshots - we need only the commands and the settings.

DigiDamage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Aight.

Had to split the screens into 2 images to get all information:

Page 1-1.jpg

Page 1-2.jpg

Let me now if you want something else!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you'll need to use event pages and event conditions, not only conditional branches.

Every event always has one page active, and if that page has an action button it will always run when the action button is triggered.

To prevent this, you use several pages (which might have different pictures, different triggers and different commands) and condition them to switches to prevent events from activating parts that shouldn't be possible.

I suggest you download the sample game Crysalis from this site, play it for an hour and then check how those events are done by opening it in the editor.

DigiDamage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Ok, thank you for that!

I will try that game, and then play around with it in the editor to learn a bit!

I'll reply if I get it to work after that.

DigiDamage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Ok.

I have played the game for a while, and also checked it out in the editor, but unfortunatly to no avail.

Things is, I think the pages are more tidy and neat right now, and also task #3 doesn't start if I haven't activated the others... But then again, it doesn't start at all right now. Even if conditions are met.

I'm not sure how to explain my question now, but i'll try in a more formal way:

Task #1 completed

Task #2 completed

For task #3 to start, do I have to make 3 pages on the event? with previous conditions on? How do I make task #3 know that conditions are met from previous tasks?

I'm sorry if these questions are somewhat dumb, but i'm really trying to understand things and how they work, not get complete solutions from you or anyone else. :)

I think I need a push in the correct direction on this.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I knew I should have warned you ahead of time to not double post, my mistake.

Don't double post (posting directly underneath yourself), edit your previous post if you have something else to add.

Show us screenshots of what you have, then we can help out. Also, no matter what condition is on the second page, the third page will run first (if its condition is met). The event page furthest to the left (or simply the highest number) will run first if its conditions are met. So if your third event page has its condition set to 'Self Switch A is ON' and you apply the same condition to your second event page, it'll be the third event page that runs (skipping the second) when you turn on self switch a.

DigiDamage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Sorry for double posting, i'm not used to forums at all. :) Will edit henceforth.

And I hope I don't overkill with pictures here, but I think it's best to make both me and you guys to understand here. Easier to point out wrongs and rights. :)

TASK #1

Task 1-1.jpg Task 1-2.jpg

TASK #2

Task 2-1.jpg Task 2-2.jpg

TASK #3 (the one not working atm)

Task 3-1.jpg Task 3-2.jpg Task 3-3.jpg Task 3-4.jpg

The 3rd one is mostly random right now because I have no idea how to make it work.

Thank you all for helping me in advance!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're still mixing conditions and conditional branches, that makes the events difficult to read - especially since some of those conditions are not neccessary.

Take the example of page 2 &3 of the third event.

Page 3 becomes active when [fix waterpump] is ON, and takes precedence over page 2.

So there is no need for the conditional in page 2 to check for the status of that switch - if that switch is ON, page 2 will never get active. You can place the text from the else (OFF) branch in the main area, because as long as a higher page is triggered by the switch ON it will never display that text while the switch is ON.

And as a second advice - it's faster to use the main conditional branch and ignore/disable the else-branch. So in those cases where you don't have a higher page checking for on, you shoud rewrite tose parts to

conditional branch : [fix waterpump] = OFF - then show text

-------------------------------------

Back to the topic:

Can you please give us a list of all switches you made for those events and tell us what those switches stand for/which functions they should trigger?

That would help in reading those events.

Edit:

And I just found the problem with page 1: you're checking the [fix Waterpump] in the conditional branches again.

But if that switch is ON, then the third page becomes active and the first one can't be processed anymore.

So as I thought, the problem is in mixing the conditions and conditional branches on the same switches - you need to streamline those and either use the conditions or the branches - and it's easier to use the conditions, just make one page for each possible status of the event and get rid of those branches - with so few switches you don't need conditional branches.

DigiDamage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Thank you for replying!

I think I understand the concept a bit better now, and I will use that for comming events.

Although, I actually made a simple fix that worked fine in this particular "intro", I made Conditional branches that needs Item in Inventory, and that worked without any special switches at all. Of course can't you use that when more event's are needed than this,

but I mean,

Get [Hammer] from NPC

[broken Hammer] from machine

[broken Hammer] still in inventory at sink

Get [severed Hand] at sink

[severed Hand] at Final task

That actually made sense in these events.

But I think this case is closed now, and I thank you all for responding to me!

Cheers!

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Husband has roped me into playing one of his PSO2 characters. Productivity is now negative.
Tileset A is lava! Don't burn D:
as MZ come out what you guys think about.....Some particles engine :3c?
Who wants to sing this song with me?~

Decided to submit my games to the Monday Night Stream. Figured it might be a fun way to get some traction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavaWave