FamilyGamer7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
WARNING FROM THE MODS - Feel free to participate in this discussion, but DO NOT post any rips or pirated resources, nor discuss how/where to find them. That is against our forum rules and doing so may incur a ban or other punishments.

===
I am looking create a Suikoden 2 clone system. Below are the basic details that would be put into this.

- Recreate full menu UI

- Fully implement entire Suikoden 2 108 cast + NPCs

- Exact map tilesets

- Exact Suikoden 2 font

- Replicate the shops, blacksmith - all systems.

- The idea is this would look like an exact clone of Suikoden 2

- Made in RPG Maker VX Ace

I am wondering how this would be well received. The idea is to allow someone to take the system and create there own world and story. Of course this could only ever be a free to play game as it would have ripped assets from Suikoden 2.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think there are some number of people around here who enjoy Suikoden enough that they'd make use of something that mimicked it.

The problem is that distributing something with ripped assets is illegal. So even if other people were willing to use it for something (I would not be), you wouldn't be allowed to post links or anything about the project here.

Making something free does not somehow make it not a violation of copyright.

(also, if you wanted to do something that a significant number of people used, you should look into using a newer engine. There certainly are still people using VX Ace, but for how many versions have come out since then, I don't think you'd get many current users going back that far just to make a Suikoden-style game. And a lot of elements of the combat system would be way easier/more possible using MV or MZ)

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I like the graphics and the battle system, but I never got to play.
To be honest, I have never really seen a problem with inspired systems, but completely the same is somewhat unnecessary, since the original game already exists.
It is worth remembering that not every game engine (System) is owned by a company, but there are systems that are completely exclusive.
To be frank if you were to see an old game in a new version it would be this:

FamilyGamer7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The reason this would be done in VX ace is due to my extended knowledge in experience in RGSS3 (Ruby). I have done a lot of psuedo coding as well, so I can essentially 99% recreate the entire Suikoden 2 game. Any other programming languages I would struggle even though the newer RPG Maker systems would be more suitable and efficient. That's why.

For the ripped assets. I am not sure I entirely agree with that as there are many games and many ripped assets or assets created based off ripped assets that are posted on many of the threads in the forum entirety. It would be nice to get a mods opinion on this.

In terms of making a clone of the game. I would be making a clone of the game, but the story and map, buildings and etc would all be up to the user. The idea to create a new story based on the same graphics and feel of the original game. Think of a spin off to Suikoden 2 or a completely different story from the original.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's nothing to agree with - all portions of a video game are copyright of the people who made it (or, to be slightly more complex, of the owners of that copyright, such as people who made the content under contract for, say, Konami). Copyrighted material may not be distributed unless you are given the rights to do so. That is not anyone's opinion, not even a moderator, it's copyright law that you can easily look up for yourself.

You will see a lot of material on these forums that is based on modifications to the assets included with RPG Maker - permission is explicitly given to owners of RPG Maker to modify and distribute those assets for use by people who also own RPG Maker.

If you see games that have ripped assets (not something the user made that looks like it) from another game, you should report that. Rule 2 of the forum rules explicitly bans using ripped materials:

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Moved to Game Ideas and Prototypes, as this is discussion of a single project and not a general game design concept.

I think we can allow this topic to stay open for discussion in the sense of how would we make a good Suikoden fangame, or what kind of elements would need to be mimicked. However, note that discussion of how (or where) to pirate resources/obtain rips, or posting of rips anywhere in this topic, will cause the topic to be closed and may incur punishment including permanent bans. I'll add a note to the opening post to make sure no one messes this up by accident. Just be careful to keep the discussion centered around the making of a fangame and/or the aspects that would be cool to imitate about Suikoden.

My personal opinion, by the way, is that time and talent would best be spent making something that's an homage to the original Suikoden 2, not an exact imitation of its resources or mechanics. With some deep thought on why Suikoden 2 (or 1) captured our minds and hearts so thoroughly, we might be able to come up with the feelings and experience that we truly want to imitate, and then come up with even better mechanics and story hooks for achieving those!

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As a huge fan of (most) of the Suikoden games i am always thriller when i see a project inspired by it. Note my use of the word inspired, not ripped.

Fully ripping a system or assets is Just bad conduct in my personal opinion not to mention a legal minefield.

And not very Nice to the ppl who worked their ass off originally... Which is why i wint (and dont) play Any game with ripped assets unless it is clearly a fangame that falls under the appropriate rules and regulations.

That's Just me ofcourse, plenty of folk who Will be less strict about it, bit since you asked all of us xD

Thats my two cents anyway.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With some deep thought on why Suikoden 2 (or 1) captured our minds and hearts so thoroughly, we might be able to come up with the feelings and experience that we truly want to imitate
The things I love about the Suikoden series are:
- The customization of the party. The first game is, weirdly, the worst at this...you have the 108 characters, most of whom can be used in your party, but almost all of the game has several required characters so you can never progress in the story while using an actually customized party. But still, the concept is cool.

- The combat system. It expands on the rows from the Final Fantasy games to incorporate more complex mechanics regarding weapon ranges and which skills can be used from where.

- The military content. While they varied in how interesting/good they were, the presence of the mini-games to represent large-scale combat helped tie in the storyline your character was personally experiencing to the larger political scope. My favorites are from games 2 and 4.

- The magic setting. I like the concept of magic coming from runes, and the kinda-sentient True Runes.

The presence of the headquarters kinda goes along with the number of characters and the military setting, I never got into the whole aspect of decorating the place.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Gameboy Tiles, Cure Writer's Block, Animations on Menu, Generate Tasks | RPG Maker News #40

How would you judge a game you played? Art/Graphics? Story? Gameplay?
Learn MV sales goal = 2%
NSFW game sales goal = 2500% (no jokes) :guffaw:
After gathering, sorting out & reconsidering hundreds of enemy battlers over the last two das, finally my favorite part begins: Inventing names and lore for them all :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonTonyPepperoni