complicated -> rewrite -> simple -> rewrite -> repeat

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by MiD, Oct 28, 2019.

1. MiD

MiD Villager Member

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Although i'm only at cycle 10 at this point, i'm pretty sure this is something that happens to us all.
    It goes like the title:
    game is complicated - > write it in a less complicated manner -> now game is really simplistic -> write it in a more complicated manner -> repeat

2. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    its more like

write -> design -> create maps -> event
    uhm write -> re-design -> redo/remake/inprove maps -> (inprove/redo) events
    and repeat that cycle over and over. new stuff, change alot, re-design and polish maps and events per map :p

3. MiD

MiD Villager Member

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree, but I haven't reached a point where i'm ultra happy with my mechanics. They're either way too complicated (every tiny little thing affecting gameplay) or way too simple (things that aren't extremely essential thrown out)

4. ShadowDragon

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    start simple, create a new "test" project for complicated events to test out (if need) and see if its works.
    or backup the game before making new events so you can easy roll back fast so it wont break.

also, the simple events can be powerfull as well as for complicated that can break alot.
    sometimes plugins are better than complicated events, but its really how you build the game.

start simple, simple setups, events etc, extend events to be more smooth, and polish it better later.
    Everyone makes mistakes, and you learn from it (hopefully).

5. MiD

MiD Villager Member

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sure! I always start simple and, whenever I want to make drastic changes I keep a backup. However, as i'm building the game I have new ideas that I want to implement but then I don't do that much with them. So I begin "dumbing them down", but as I get carried away, it becomes overly simple again.

Actually, the main difficulty comes from the fact that I can't stand linear games, so i'm trying to make sandbox-y ones. So I can't follow a storyline, I can't save somewhere, build, load and continue from there, it all pretty much has to be laid down first - including how much the player will depend on an option and why.

I use plugins a lot, I've even made my own ones in some occasions (obviously not without help). I made "object variables" for example, granted, not a huge deal but it did aid me :p

6. ShadowDragon

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think, I just start with building the maps, no npc's, make a path etc etc.
    when those are done, I can block path (even if the map exists) the player can go there,
    so I can build the events on the map, and everything I need.

But its a long way anyway.

7. MiD

MiD Villager Member

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's cool. I usually start with a black map and start writing my code there. Since it's sandbox-y the code should work everywhere, so that's what i'm making in that first map. Then I go on to make new maps, but by that time i'm either bored, or my idea crumbles under its complexity or simplicity. Either way, I have to re-write it xD

8. ShadowDragon

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    make the map, write a story, build up events or quests, (the easy parts) mostly of them.
    the harder part are the monsters, skills and which battle system you want to use.

Im still think which battle system but defenitly not side view, LMBS use lots of images, and some skills to get it to work,
    while its still in beta version. but it aint easy though =)

9. FleshToDust

FleshToDust Pixel Beginnings Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The good news is you're doing stuff you can rewrite but what happens when things get complex(very complex) and a rewrite would take months? I think that's the trap people fall into and end up starting a new project in order to clean things up. Sometimes though... You just gotta deal with messy stuff.

10. MiD

MiD Villager Member

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Exactly. When i have to rewrite something extremely complex, i start a new project. This is why nothing ever gets done xD