Composers & Musicians! What would you like to learn?

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by taistelusopuli, Apr 29, 2016.

1. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli Your Friendly Neighborhood Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Heyo!

Me and a friend of mine are going to create collections of tutorials/courses regarding composing. Tomorrow we are going to shoot a orienting course about mind sets and some philosophies that us composers should think about. Then we'll produce a course on what is needed to start composing. And here is the point where you guys, my young and old, new and seasoned colleagues come into the picture.

Especially if you are new to composing... What would you like to learn? I do have some thoughts already but I wish to hear your thoughts on this one.

2. Gaiaman77

Gaiaman77 Music Composer/Sound Designer/Self Proclaimed Nice Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'll be very interested to check this out!

3. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    Good to hear! I hope more people show interest and suggest lessons and courses :)

4. ♥ azura ♥

♥ azura ♥ Solitary Songstress Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I definitely approve of this idea. On top of the basics, one commonly forgotten thing that would be wonderful in your lessons would be the basics of mixing/mastering. This is the hardest step for a lot of us creatives (myself included), since it's more mathematical in nature. Considering how a bad mix can ruin a wonderful composition, it seems like very a valuable thing to teach.

Thanks for your effort ! ♫

Ms Littlefish and LeeOccleshaw like this.
  5. Crispy-Ghee

Crispy-Ghee The Crispy One Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think something interesting to look into would be sort of the building blocks of making a good looping theme. Things like world map themes that would presumably play for extended periods while someone is playing a game. I feel like there's a real art behind that kind of stuff and if there are any tips on approaching this thing, that'd be awesome! Maybe a bit abstract for an actual tutorial series...not sure :S 

Apart from that, I definitely second Azura's suggestion for mixing! And maybe some tips about creating specific moods with music. 

The idea of making courses and tutorials for composing is wonderful, and I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate the effort and find it super useful. Thanks for doing it!

6. YagamiKyo

YagamiKyo Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    I would really appreciate this. Even though some people say the trick to all of it is to just keep on composing, there is without doubt a more technical side which would help a lot of beginners. I believe that instead of just talking about music theory (which I do believe is important somewhat) it would be better to know how to apply all of that knowledge. A practical point of view, if I would say.

7. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    Thank you for all the great ideas! They are really helpful! Just keep them coming =)

8. Musagetes

Musagetes Composer & Orchestrator Member

First Language:
    English
    I'd love to see a discussion on modular writing and layering for adaptive soundtracks from a musical perspective. Specifically how to stay interesting and consistent no matter what section of a track is being called up. 

This is an area I haven't opened myself up to yet, mainly because I haven't played with Wwise or similar software.

9. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish

A great idea! Thank you @Musagetes. That makes me wonder actually... As far as I'm aware, RPG Maker doesn't work with middleware programs like Wwise and FMod. I'd love to know if it actually does and or other solutions game devs have used. I will look into that :)

10. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    So.. The friend of mine takes a tad too forever with the editing so I have to start delivering by myself :)

I just published my first tutorial video on YouTube! If you feel like it, you are more than welcome to go see what is up and what I am sharing.

I will talk with the friend of mine if he has the time to finish the rest of the material we filmed. If he's not up to it, then I will re-produce the first course and publish it later.

Oh! And another thing... I set up a Patreon reward where one gets to be inolved with deciding future themes and lessons BUT I want to give this forum a special treatment and all wishes and questions that I'll find here will impact HEAVILY on what kind of subjects I'll tackle. Thank you in advance!

11. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Definitely a +1 for mixing and mastering. I never even messed with the stuff before making assets for this community and I still I feel like I'm faking it until I make it. XD

taistelusopuli likes this.
  12. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Definitely want to learn Arabian/Middle East song.

13. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    Thanks for ideas! I will keep them in mind for the near future :)

14. Shuji

Shuji Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I quote MsLittelfish for mixing and masterig, it would really be helpful to know how to make yuor music sound professional and realistic!

15. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    Hey! Those of you (@Shuji@Ms Littlefish and others) who were wonder about mixing things, here is something that might help you guys out a bit :)  I'm still practicing my screen performance but I hope I've delivered the message in an understandable way!

Ms Littlefish likes this.