Compressed game file/beta was opened within RPG Maker

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by GamerCEO, Oct 11, 2013.

1. GamerCEO

GamerCEO Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Help?  My Dad didn't realize what he was doing & he opened RPG Maker (like we usually do) but instead of opening the current RPGMaker development file (I date them for version control) like we've been doing for months, he wasn't paying attention and opened the compressed game file I sent out as a beta over the weekend.

It would be no big deal but for some reason because he was in RPG Maker when he opened the beta/compressed game file, it screwed everything up and I can't work on my current development version of my game.

I'm trying to fix the bugs reported in the beta, so I opened RPG Maker and went to open the most recent development file used to create the compressed game file for the beta, but RPG Maker is giving me an error.  I can open older files but that would mean I'd be editing an older version of the game (not the one that was beta tested).

HELP???!!!!  Also, I'm ten and this is my first game so please don't assume I know too much (b/c clearly my Dad doesn't) 0=)

Thanks!

Kenzie

2. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What error?

3. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Opening an encrypted project with RPG Maker should have zero influence over your actual project file that can be opened with RPG Maker. Just go to your project folder, and double click the icon with the dragon head, and your project should open up as normal.

If you're getting an error, like Tsukihime said, we need to know what the error said.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2013
  4. GamerCEO

GamerCEO Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    okay sorry, attaching screenshots.

1.  1st error was when I opened the file like usual but the game file wasn't showing.  

RPG Error 1 directory not showing game file.png

2.  So then I clicked on "all files" and got the image in Screen 2.

Screen 2 with All Files selected.png

3. I then clicked on the dragon and got the error in Screen 3.

Screen 3 click on dragon.png

THANKS so much for quick response!

5. Creative Ed

Creative Ed Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Well that's because there is no development file there. That's why you can't open it.

The only file that's there is the encrypted.

Maybe you overwrote the development file? Or deleted it for accident?

Maybe thet's not the correct folder?

You chould check on that.

6. GamerCEO

GamerCEO Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Okay, remember I'm 10 :) and my Dad did this but swears he didn't "do anything."  I tried deleting the encrypted file but it didn't work because apparently my development file wasn't there.  Where can I find the development file?  What's it called, I mean?  And if it was written over (which I'm guessing it was), can I use a development file from an earlier date?  And if so, does that mean I'll have lost any changes I made since that date or is that info stored in the other folders?

Sorry again, I'm sure this sounds basic, but everything worked fine this morning before my Dad touched my laptop.

:(  THANK YOU FOR HELPING!!!

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Don't open RPG Maker. Go to the folder where your current development version is (not any of the compressed versions), and double click on the Game.rvproj2 file. That should open it all up for you properly.

Celianna already said this, but none of your comments since hers indicate that you actually tried it, or what happened when you did.

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    because you're working in a dropbox (internet/online) folder, there are a few other possible reasons for that behaviour. So here are a few questions to help us solve it:

1) were you and your dad working on the same computer when you open the files, or are you on different computers?

2) does anyone else have access to the dropbox version and might have changed that?

3) have you always worked on the dropbox version, or is only the demo in dropbox and your game project in a local file?

Ace always remembers the last position where a game was opened, if your dad changed that to the dropbox folder, then you need to change it back to the project folder before you can open it again (which is what Shaz and Cel were telling you)

9. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Since you're using Dropbox, you could try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/11

Dropbox saves backups of all your files automatically, so you can retrieve them. Follow the instructions on the previous link and it should work (it could take some time though).

Remember to make backups often. After 1-2 days of work, compress all your game data and save it somewhere, can be a special dropbox folder for backups, each filename containing the date of creation (ex. FrozenLake_131011).

Hope you can continue doing your stuff C:,

Orochii Zouveleki

10. swilson

swilson Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    This is Kenzie's mom. Shaz & Celianna, we did what you said and the game opened and played. But that doesn't give us access to the development file which is apparently what she needs to make changes and fix bugs.

PLEASE tell me this was just step 1 in your process to help us get back to where she was last week before her Dad saved the encrypted file over her development file.  If I need to pick bits and pieces of various versions we saved on drop box just let me know b/c that's where all files were maintained (which appears to be good news I think :) .

THANKS!

11. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't USE dropbox with Ace, but I assumed Kenzie was saying she had several versions (or copies, in different folders) of the game at various stages.

If there's only one version, all I can suggest is following muramasa's post above to try and get to the correct version.

12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The game.rvproj2 - file IS the development-file for the game you're looking for. If you open that file, it will open the editor and you can work on the project..

If you clicked on a file and the game played, then you didn't click on the rvproj2-File, but on the game's exe file.

It might be that your windows is set to hide the endings, in that case you'll have three files named "game" in the folder, and you need to doubleclick on the one with the two red/green gears, not the one with the dragon symbol (and also not the ini-file, that has a single silver gear usually).

If you do not find the correct file, then go to windows search, search all drives for a file named "game.rvproj2" - you'll find several (one for each project version and each unencrypted game), list them by directory and look which directory contains your latest version. The doubleclick that file.

13. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The screenshots in Kenzie's post indicate that there is NO game.rvproj2 file, but there is the rgss encrypted archive. Which means the folder ONLY contains the exe version of the game.

Actually, re-reading the first post, it DOES sound like you have separate folders for each version. So if you go to the latest folder, you should be able to follow muramasa's steps to undo changes.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  14. Creative Ed

Creative Ed Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    There's something that you can do if you can't find the original folder.

Do a general search in your computer with the word "Game" - This is allways the name of the Development file.

When your results are shown right click in all the files that have either one of the following icons:

[​IMG]

and then "Open containing folder".

One of them will take you to the game's development folder.

Even if it's in the dropbox ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  15. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Also to note, the data files are not in there. From what I've seen of the folders. Please find the original folder that s/he was editing which has the data folder.