Conditional Attack Animations

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Ragpuppy87, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragpuppy87

Ragpuppy87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My main character has a default magic beam attack. Throughout the game this magic beam is upgraded with various elemental properties. The character casts a spell first that inflicts a condition on the user. Example " Fire's Blessing." While under the effects of Fire's Blessing the magic beam takes on the element of fire. But once Fire's Blessing wears off it returns to a normal elemental- less beam.

I'm looking for a way to control the attack animation of the beam while under the effects of various elemental blessings.
    While under Fire's Blessing it would emit a fiery animation and then return to the default animation once the blessing wears off.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    If the skill will use "Normal Attack" animation (so the beam animation would be set by the weapon), I believe there is a Trait that you can add to your elemental state to modify the "Normal Attack" animation..

3. Ragpuppy87

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can't seem to find it... Nor can I seem to create one via common events.

4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I dont have RM with me right now so I cant check... Try going thru the Traits list on your state and find something that say animation, its not an event.

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do you mean the animation that plays on the user when they're about to use the skill, or the animation that plays on the target when they are hit?

6. Ragpuppy87

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The target. I'm looking for a way for a single attack to have multiple animations depending on what status the user currently has.

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You probably will need a plugin for that. Have you checked Yanfly's? I seem to remember something about a Yanfly plugin that changes animations, but I can't remember the conditions.

8. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    If you cant find the Trait for the normal attack animation (or it really doesnt exist), Im pretty sure Yanfly's action sequence allows you to play custom animations depending on your own logic.

Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  9. Ragpuppy87

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yanfly's Action Sequence seems to have what I'm looking for. I just have to figure a couple of things out.

EDIT: This seems to be slightly above my skill level. I'm not even sure if it is what I am looking for. It looked promising at first, but the more I read the more confused I get.

It doesn't seem to actually affect the animation of an attack. Rather it allows various animations and other things to take place in battle when they normally could not.

At least from what I can figure out.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  10. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It'll do what you want. Something simple like this:

Code:
    <Target Action>
    perform action
    if user.isStateAffected(fireStateId)
      animation fireBeamId: target
    else if user.isStateAffected(iceStateId)
      animation iceBeamId: target
    else
      action animation: target
    end
    wait for animation
    action effect: target
    death break
    perform finish
    </Target Action>
    Of course, you'll want to replace fireStateId and iceStateId with the state id number for those elemental blessing states. Likewise, fireBeamId and iceBeamId will need to be replaced with the appropriate animation ids. "action animation: target" uses the default animation assigned to that skill.

Also note that you can replace "wait for animation" with "wait: 30" (or some other number) to set a fixed delay which, if set right, can have the damage popups appear mid-animation rather than after. It's something I like to do, anyway.

Edit: This requires both action sequence packs 1 and 2. Also, if you have Element Core, you can use the "force element: x" action sequences to force the fire, ice, etc beams to use the appropriate element, with x corresponding to the appropriate element id. "force element: x" would go into the if/else if blocks along with the element-appropriate animations.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  11. Ragpuppy87

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Aesica Thank you for your help. I've run into an issue however. I have a powered up version of the beam attack that works the exact same way however it targets all enemies rather than just a single one. When I use that attack it works properly damaging all foes at once but then it continues to attack them all again one at a time.

12. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh if you're making the same skill able to target either some or all, that's a bit trickier. Target Action is for single target and Whole Action is for aoe. You could try changing what I posted to Whole Action, then add:

Code:
    <Target Action>
    </Target Action>
    Which...might work? Maybe.

Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  13. Ragpuppy87

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That seems to have done it! Thanks a lot! :)

Aesica likes this.
  14. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.