mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been trying to figure out how to use these, since they are a bit different from RM and so far the finer points have been eluding me:

1 - When do you use Else If instead of Else, for instance.

2 - How are you supposed to indent your Conditional statements
?

3 - Is there some special way to use more than one common event in a scene? Is there a way other than setting them to run in parallel?

4 - What about using the Idle command in common events? I actually tried to learn a bit about the Idle command from the help menu. Guess I need to wait for the Beta. XD (The help menu gives a brief description and then points to the Tips and Tricks section, which just says it's under construction and should be done during beta.)

I'm just very confused because the things I keep trying to do aren't working, but some permutation of them should. I have three common events that check three different variables to see what number they are and then to add hotspots accordingly. Sometimes, I can get two of the three hotspots to show up. But they don't do what they're supposed to do when you click on them. If I change where I use the Idle command, I can get only one hotspot to show up but it does everything like it's supposed to. I can't say I've tried every single different way to make these conditional branch common event things work, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has a good tutorial dealing with what I'm talking about or could explain how to properly use them.

[edit: I've figured out how to fix this issue by running the common events parallel, but I'm going to keep playing around with it because now it's doing a bunch of other weird things, which might have to do with that or with not knowing where to use idle commands or messing up some other setting, etc.]

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As an unrelated tip, you should consider taking a little time to format your posts. Clicking into your post and seeing a huge wall of text is daunting, and I gave up reading after a few lines.

Using line breaks (like I just did) helps to separate content and make it more readable.

When do you use Else If instead of Else, for instance.
They are exactly what they sound like.
Code:
if (x==2)
    this stuff happens only if the value of x is 2
else
    this stuff happens all the rest of the time, x is any other value
As opposed to
Code:
if (x==2)
    this stuff happens only if the value of x is 2
else if (x==3)
    this will happen only if the value of x is 3
else if (x<5)
    we know x isn't 2 or 3, but if it's any other value less than 5, this will happen
else
    now this will happen for every instance of x being equal to or greater than 5

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I edited my original post for readability. Thanks for taking the time to explain Else and Else/If and the formatting. One question, though: if I use "is = to" then I would end with Else/if and not just Else, right?

Last edited:

pokerfacy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
VNM
Hello, can you show us a case in your game, so we can find what exactly you want to do?

" I have three common events that check three different variables to see what number they are and then to add hotspots accordingly"

Is it your game a Real Time Action game, that you need to check many status all the time and accordingly change many things on screen? If not, you can call the common events only when it needs to.

To learn more about Idle, you can check the “Scene-based UI Example” template, and read "Evented Title Screen" in manual. Idle itself means the codes will stop here. You can use Idle to split your codes into many block, and use condition commands to jump into specific block without running the other codes.

Good Luck!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Doing RPG Maker News for 17th October 2021

That moment when you came up with a very good game title, but when you searched it, it has already been used... T.T
Crazy week. My anxiety decides to go nutz. Worse thing about it is that it causes me to lose focus on my work. I was able to leave early one day and take a nap. Seemed to help. How is everyone? Boosters coming soon here. Get my life back on track again.
Finally got my new Discord Server up & Running! I'm still improving it as much as I can, & I'm open for any Suggestions!
I've been busy trying out different art styles for my game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wolfy0913