Proelium_Ex_Deus

God of War... & Tinkerer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright, I don't usually come to these forums for stuff, as I usually like to figure things out / learn on my own (&/or pour through existing forums &/or Google searches for related topics), but this one has driven me so nuts that I've resorted to creating an account on this forum JUST to ask the community "what the heck is going on?".

It seems like it should be a simple process, & I don't remember running into this problem on VXA; & fyi, I've been toying with the RPG Maker series for a while, & have SOME scripting knowledge, so feel free to use more technical terms if you like. This isn't my first rodeo, lol.

So here's my problem...

As you can see from the attached image, I'm trying to create a "simple" save point, where it will create a "chime" effect when a player passes across it (i.e. "on touch"). The save screen should ONLY open if the player hits the "OK" button (i.e. the conditional branch). Now.......... I've tried this just about every way you can imagine; from creating multiple event pages, linking the event to trigger fires (i.e. switches &/or variables), & creating a mass of other scenarios, & the freakin' thing just won't work. Yeah, I can get the event to "chime on touch", like it's supposed to do, but the freakin' thing just won't open the save menu (even if it's set similarly to a parallel event). The ONLY way I've been able to get this scenario to work is by setting the event to the same level as the characters... but that kind-of defeats the purpose of the effect it's supposed to have. It feels like I'm over-thinking this (or, that it should be a LOT simpler), but for the life of me, I just can't seem to figure it out. SMH

Any thoughts? (thx in advance)

Conditional Branch Fail.png

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You could change the trigger to "Action Button," or make a choice dialogue come up when touched, asking if you wish to save. If you do the former, be sure to turn the event's "direction fix" on. Personally, I would do this anyway.

As it sits, it's looking for a button press at the time of contact with the event. Meaning the button would need to be pressed while coming in contact with the event. I suspect this is not what you need.

Proelium_Ex_Deus

God of War... & Tinkerer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I'm familiar with your suggested methods, but the reason I've tried doing the way I have is because I am trying to accomplish something specific... that being, I'd like the save point to "chime" when a player touches it, but not do anything (other than chime) until a player mashes the "OK" button to trigger the save menu opening. There are a lot of games out there that do this, & I was just trying to copy that type of event... but I'm not sure that's possible. Thanks for your input tho.

Last edited by a moderator:

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Then have a second event page with the required save actions that triggers on a switch, something like SavePointActive or whatever, have the Player Touch event play the sound and set that switch on. Make the 4 tiles around it reset that switch on player touch. The only problem I've found with doing things this way is when someone plays using touch or mouse, the player will automatically stop on any player touch triggered events, so they'll always stop on one of the switch-resetting spaces.

Proelium_Ex_Deus

God of War... & Tinkerer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That seems to work as intended. Thx. I guess I was so focused on trying to make this event work as a "single event" that I overlooked using other events to toggle a switch / action. I DID read somewhere else that events like mine seem to work better in combination with switches &/or variables, but I just didn't think about using multiple events (trying to keep it contained to just a single event; so I can easily copy / paste the save points around different maps).

Thanks again. So... unless someone wants to suggest a way to do this via single event, this topic can be closed. (& btw, I thought about scripting a plugin for this type of event, but that seemed liked overkill. Agreed?) 

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I decided to create reboots of my games on RPG Maker MV. I'm happy. :biggrin:
So, as i finish setting up my items for part 1 of my game, I realized I forgot to finalize an ENTIRE category of items. Know which ones? The Fallen Feathers....BTW my game is called "Fallen Feather"
and_remember_tomorrow_exploding_puzzle_logo.jpg

Made some new friends, and blew up a puzzle... Happens. :LZSwink:
A new RPG Maker music pack is coming out soon! Below is a demo of one of the compositions in the pack, Heroic Battle. More details coming soon!

Trying to build a child-size body. Mostly happy with it except the sideview arms - can't get them to move quite right yet. Anyway, here's the work-in-progress, with an adult for size comparison.
ChildTest-01.gif

I started in VXAce and I liked how the kids flapped their arms so that's why it's just flapping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graysome