StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Greetings all!

I'm exhausted beating my head against this problem and thought I'd outsource. I'm sure this has been asked/solved in the past, but my searching skills are weak, so apologies if it's come up before.

I have a skill that resurrects a dead party member, but then places a state on that party member. This state should prevent the character from being resurrected again until it is removed. I can't figure out how to get my skill to exclude targets that have this state.

As a side note: I use this state for lots of other skills as well (my system doesn't have MP, it instead uses a combination of cooldowns and a "Rest" system to balance skill usage). For the other scenarios (such as certain healing spells), I've been able to work around the problem by having the formula include a conditional check for the state and then setting values to zero if the state exists. While not elegant (a player may be irritated that the heal did 0 if he didn't notice the character needed rest), it has let me move forward.

Since I'm now dealing with traits outside of the formula, I need an alternative method to prevent the spell from being cast.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

BigWhoop

Whoop Big
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not an expert, but if you're okay with using plugins, I think this plugin should help: http://yanfly.moe/2016/04/22/yep-94-selection-control/ (Note that you need the next two plugins to use it, make sure the first one is underneath these two: http://yanfly.moe/2016/02/26/yep-74-target-core/ and http://yanfly.moe/2015/10/10/yep-3-battle-engine-core/ )

For the selection control plugin, there's a tag you can put on states (listed under Notetags - General) that says

<Cannot Select: Skill x>
OR
<Cannot Select: Skill name>

Put the ID or name of your healing skill in place, and it should work. I haven't used this plugin myself, so I don't know what to tell you if it doesn't work. I think it will, though. Maybe you can use this to tidy up your system in general?

BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Will check it out. Thanks!

EDIT: Worked like a charm. I was already using Target core for other items; hadn't noticed how SelectionControl expanded upon it. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:

BigWhoop

Whoop Big
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great! Like I said, you may be able to use this to tidy up the system. Instead of making skills heal 0 via a conditional check, simply add those skills to the list of skills that can't target people with that state. Should solve the problem rather nicely. Maybe you already did this, but wanted to throw it out in case you hadn't. :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I've decided to try and be more social and less nervous about engaging. I'm always over thinking things - from now on when I'm worried or don't get something I'll just ask.
Sometimes a mechanic that is meant to add challenge is just annoying. Even the Final Fantasy games did not completely escape this pitfall of design. (FF8 draw system I'm looking at you - grrrr)
starting working on the sprites for one of my games major antagonists finally. here's the first frame of his chanting motion in battle.
Have spent too much time hammering out with a friend just how to make a reoccurring enemy that permanently learns skills you use against her.
I know what I want in a loose sense. Maybe I should just make a post asking for opinions and suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad_At_Scripting