Strashiner

Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I managed to make 20 maps that are completely parallaxed.

But after watching the tutorial I cannot help but get slightly confused. They say something about using the ground layers only and not the trees or objects....something around those lines.

I am also not sure what scripts to use...

Would anyone be kind enough on how to make a proper parallax map work in VX Ace? Also, please do tell what scripts I should use and How I should implement them...

thank you!

A lot of tutorial vids have conflicting methods...its kinda confusing.

Strashiner

Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
that ones rather strange. Is there scripts which allow me to just put like restrictions on areas? because that tutorial itself shows that we have to create areas of walking. Isnt there a script which assumes that you can walk freely and not walk into the shaded block areas? i feel this will be slightly easier for more complex maps.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, there is a different step you're seeing.

A parallax map is basically a picture that is placed on the screen as a background (or in some cases two or more scripts as background and "foreground").

That picture has no passability, and there is no way to automatically detect where the player can go and where not.

To tell the computer that, you make a tileset with invisible tiles and place those over the map.

(usually, you have a temporary tileset that shows which tile is for which passability by symbols and replace that before publishing the game, so that the player can no longer see that)

But it's your responsibility to tell the computer where the player can go on the map, that process cannot be automated.

Susan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
No idea...
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's like Andar says. You have to make your own passability areas, the way you do when you use tiles directly in the map area.

I personally find that tutorial very informative, that's why I linked it. It even provided you with the necessary scripts for parallax mapping.

You can use one of the following scripts for collision:

Hime's Collision Maps script:

http://himeworks.com/2013/09/collision-maps/

Quasi's Movement script (a movement and collision script):

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/34088-quasi-movement/

Please bear in mind that the more scripts you use, there is more possibility for incompatibility down the road. In my opinion, I feel that it's better if you simply set the passabilities via the map editor to reduce the amount of scripts you use.

Strashiner

Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey guys. so the only workaround is if I leave the tiles blank.

Technically. its like this

you have two layers. ones the ground, the others the trees and such. For the trees. I can just leave two squares near the bottom blank so the player will technically collide with it. In otherwords, the only way I can make players not past is not putting the tiles at all.

the second layer will be above it and players are able to pass under the tree due to the tiles beneath it being filled.

I get it now.

Hope it works....

Demiqas

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
>I made 20 maps completely in parallax

>I don't know what layers mean or which scripts to use

something doesn't sound quite right here

as for the question, there is only one script you need for parallax mapping, and that is a tile lock script so the parallax picture displays properly in-game. There is one other optional script, and that's an animation script that you have to google, which makes animations work in your parallax map for things such as water effects.

Strashiner

Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Uh yeah, sorry,

but really, I realize now. You need two layers. One for the upper grounds, the other for the ground itself. The second layer is placed on top so that players can pass under certain objects to create the illusion that the environment is real.

The thing is, we need to leave blank tiles so that players don't walk on the things that were not meant to be walked on. The issue now is organizing the layers on each map, which will take some time.

Thanks for the inquiries, will leave it open incase more easier methods come by!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Phew! logged back. Seems I was too occupied with 3D learning (yeah for RPGM purposes) creating IRL space, trying to grow catnip, dealing with health and DC is good. (so MrC) ^^
Currently trying to add items in the same style as Kyrise's excellent icons. I like having a large variety of items :3 KyriseandMe.PNG
Create MiniMaps, Sprites for MV Enemies, & Aethereal Plane Battlebacks | RPG Maker News #74

Vtubers Vs MOTHER.png

This might be my next project. You like it?
I'm off to search the master script list for my skill issue. HOORAY! FUN!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zakariadu78