Wind.Force

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm a graduate holder of Diploma in Game Design and I want to offer my services for a close 1 to individual/team in giving my opinions in terms of Game Design, Mechanics and etc.

Why? I seen a lot of people wanting to make games in RPGMAKER - and very often, they ended up being not that fun. (missing out a certain something that gives the wow effect to players)

Such can be improved and more refined, in many ways (farming/levelling system, item RNG balance, battle system, level design risk and reward factors)

I don't know how well it can be received, but I certainly find this service to be very useful if one is really serious about making a fun game for others.

Would anyone actually approach someone for these kinds of services?

What I'll do is that I'll play a full run of your game, taking notes of any critical design/bugs in the 1st round. I'll delve deeper into specified problems or suggestions in improving your games by playing the game for (x) number of times, up to 5. I'll write out a detailed report after that and communicate with the other party from there.

In the meantime, I am willing to take up small projects for free. Feel free to approach me and I'll be willing to help.

Dainiri.Art

Broken Tablet Mastery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The first thing you need to make is portfolio, how would the developer know if you are good on what you are doing? how many games have been successful because of your advices? etc. Theres a lot of serious developer even here in RPG Maker so client is not really your problem and they are really willing to pay for a good service (Tho I never heard of an advice being paid.), but you must show them how good you are in designing game mechanics and levels right?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You mean a beta tester?  It concerns me that you don't know the name for this job.

Scythuz

Explorer Bot *beep beep*
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@SharmSounds quite a bit more involved than a tester to me, more like a design adviser than anything.

@Wind.Force I agree with Dainiri btw, you should make a portfolio of some kind.  I know it can be a little tricky for a game designer though, so you might not be able to make anything rm relevant until after you've done a few projects.  In the meantime if you have any work from your diploma related studies that can help, try and see if you can use that. Do bear in mind that a lot of game design courses don't really cover rpgmaker related material (mine focused on fps and platforming games) so you might find that what holds true for your past work, won't for rm-related work.  I have found that a slight change of thinking helps to adapt though. 

Wind.Force

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
The first thing you need to make is portfolio, how would the developer know if you are good on what you are doing? how many games have been successful because of your advices? etc. Theres a lot of serious developer even here in RPG Maker so client is not really your problem and they are really willing to pay for a good service (Tho I never heard of an advice being paid.), but you must show them how good you are in designing game mechanics and levels right?

To date, I have not tried or attempt giving any opinions nor feedbacks to commercial game as of yet. However, I did worked as a bug tester for mobile games for Namco Bandai, GREE and others. It was just a food for thought though.

You mean a beta tester?  It concerns me that you don't know the name for this job.

It can also be closed as well, it doesn't have to be beta. I'm actually open to all stages whenever someone needs any opinion on their games. As for the second part, I don't think knowing the name for the job is that important so long as other people get my point and they understand me. (after all, its a little bit of designing as well as doing the mathematical formula for balance and testing as well.) Which is why I included the word "Game Designing" instead of just testing.

Wind.Force

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
@SharmSounds quite a bit more involved than a tester to me, more like a design adviser than anything.

@Wind.Force I agree with Dainiri btw, you should make a portfolio of some kind.  I know it can be a little tricky for a game designer though, so you might not be able to make anything rm relevant until after you've done a few projects.  In the meantime if you have any work from your diploma related studies that can help, try and see if you can use that. Do bear in mind that a lot of game design courses don't really cover rpgmaker related material (mine focused on fps and platforming games) so you might find that what holds true for your past work, won't for rm-related work.  I have found that a slight change of thinking helps to adapt though. 

Your words are very true, friend. I'll think over about this. Thanks a lot.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Wind.Force, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I agree that there are definitely a lot of RM projects out there that could have been something far more if only they had someone with serious game design chops on the team.

However, like a few people have said, this is something where you really need to prove yourself before your (paid) services would be desired.  Everyone has opinions to give, but it takes someone special to consistently be able to design things that people will like.  You may very well have this talent, but you need a way to prove it.  You don't need a large portfolio - even a single game will do if it's really good.  You can make the game yourself, or work as part of a team (your idea of doing some small projects for free is a good way to start out), or you can make yourself a respected figure on the Game Mechanics Design boards.

Once you feel like your talent has been sufficiently demonstrated, make it known.  Post an ad in our Classified (Offers) section, use your sig as a marketing tool, make a website if you think it will help.  I hope you get to be part of something great! :)

By the way, I'd be very interested to know how the Game Design degree works out for you as far as getting jobs (whether with companies or elsewhere), as well as whether you feel the education taught you a lot of important things you wouldn't have learned on your own.  I have some family and friends who keep recommending I get a Masters' in this, but most of the job searching I've done in this industry seems to place less value on it than people would expect... so I'm curious whether my perception is just wrong here.

Wind.Force

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I agree that there are definitely a lot of RM projects out there that could have been something far more if only they had someone with serious game design chops on the team.

However, like a few people have said, this is something where you really need to prove yourself before your (paid) services would be desired.  Everyone has opinions to give, but it takes someone special to consistently be able to design things that people will like.  You may very well have this talent, but you need a way to prove it.  You don't need a large portfolio - even a single game will do if it's really good.  You can make the game yourself, or work as part of a team (your idea of doing some small projects for free is a good way to start out), or you can make yourself a respected figure on the Game Mechanics Design boards.

Once you feel like your talent has been sufficiently demonstrated, make it known.  Post an ad in our Classified (Offers) section, use your sig as a marketing tool, make a website if you think it will help.  I hope you get to be part of something great! :)

By the way, I'd be very interested to know how the Game Design degree works out for you as far as getting jobs (whether with companies or elsewhere), as well as whether you feel the education taught you a lot of important things you wouldn't have learned on your own.  I have some family and friends who keep recommending I get a Masters' in this, but most of the job searching I've done in this industry seems to place less value on it than people would expect... so I'm curious whether my perception is just wrong here.

Hi wavelength, thanks for the input. I have decided to get myself out there helping the smaller projects first and then move onto the bigger plans I have for myself.

To answer your question, I feel that having a degree is enough for you in getting jobs. You can continue to pursue your Masters along the way. The degree itself can be very theoretical and difficult at times, I have seen passionate people entering this course and then gave up halfway. I'm sure you've seen people like that as well, which is why I think the education is definitely deep, relevant and important. When it comes to job searching, I think you'll over-qualify yourself if you get Masters. Different countries works differently, maybe.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sounds good, WindForce.  Thanks for your opinion!! :)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I suggest you take a look in the Project Recruitment forums for projects that are in need of someone with your skills/interests.  

You would need to be VERY well established in this community, before anyone would pay you for 'game design' - a skill that most people (often mistakenly) believe they have covered on their own.

You need to show people what you can do, what a difference you can make, before you advertise for paid work.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Hmm... Consider looking at publishers as well.

Helping the devs improve their games you publish is a possible road. As a publisher you have contact with the devs, and both of you have an interest in releasing games that sell better.

Wind.Force

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Sounds good, WindForce.  Thanks for your opinion!! :)

Always welcomed !

I suggest you take a look in the Project Recruitment forums for projects that are in need of someone with your skills/interests.  

You would need to be VERY well established in this community, before anyone would pay you for 'game design' - a skill that most people (often mistakenly) believe they have covered on their own.

You need to show people what you can do, what a difference you can make, before you advertise for paid work.

Thank you for your advice Shaz, I'm already taking few projects from various team now. Let's see how well this turns out.

Hmm... Consider looking at publishers as well.

Helping the devs improve their games you publish is a possible road. As a publisher you have contact with the devs, and both of you have an interest in releasing games that sell better.

Thank you for your advice Zeriab. Do you have any publishers willing to take up such matters in mind right now? I agree with what you said, but would that be tantamount to finding a job? Because I do not wish to work full-time right now. :(  To be honest, I just hopped back into game development scene after 2-3 years of break so I'm choosing to start here and move onto some other things if everything works out fine. All in all, I am planning to do this as a side-job.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Well... it's been a while since I was last here :kaoswt: I don't want to say I'm officially 'back' yet, but I've recently started working with RM again, so I might become active here again :kaohi:
Mmmm I love Coca Cola candy! :kaoluv:
aaaand my power is out. I sometimes think that I'm cursed.
A surprising number of plugins have appeared for MZ since last year. I'm currently making a "shopping list" so that I'll know what I need to test when I switch over to MZ later this year. Much of it is stuff updated from MV plugins, but there are also a good number of new things. It'll be fun to test it all out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roxsin