Ragpuppy87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm having issues with this lately. Consistency or Variety.

Example A: Adding a "Burn" and "Freeze" state to my project would add a bit more variety to status inflictions.
But I don't have an overlay sideview animation or an icon for them like I do the other statuses. Therefore it wouldn't be consistent with the rest of the game.

Example B. Using resources from both MV and VX Ace would add a bit more variety. But the art style or the music quality etc. wouldn't be consistent.

I keep juggling between the two.

What do I sacrifice for the sake of one or the other? Is it okay to combine them?
I'd be interested in other's opinions on this.
When designing or playing a game does one matter more to you over the other?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Example A: Burn and Freeze are "flavor text" if you could remove them using the same way and has the same mechanic. If both have a different mechanic and different way to remove them, it is no longer flavor text. It's simply a game design choice and has nothing to do with consistency vs variety.

Example B: For the resources, I prefer consistency than variety. This is why I manually converted my MIDI resources myself so that they use the same sound sample. I'm not going to use any other music resources unless they provide me a MIDI I could tweak it by myself. And for graphics, I only use a material that mostly matches with RTP. Except, faceset, I draw my own faceset for everything for a sake of consistency (they all have the same style). Even if I don't think it's consistent for the rest of the game graphics style.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For art I'd recommend not mixing them. It will stand out quickly. For music, AAA games often have multiple composers and there is often some difference between them so I see no issue with mixing music as long as you make it fit the area and mood.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If I'm using resources from multiple makers, I edit one to look like the other or my own thing. I prefer consistency in general, but if there's a motif that things are following (for example, my game has a slightly different style for personal menus than shop menus because it's supposed to look like it was drawn by one of the characters). For music, I'm kind of iffy, 'cause it's harder to keep the same style.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
I'd go with "both".

Like for resources, consistency in terms of style but variety in the actual tiles. Unless you're doing like a special map which warrants a change in style (like maybe you're making an HD game but you have a scenario where you were transported to an 8-bit world)

For the states, variety in terms of more status (as long as they make sense), but consistency in application like they should all have icons (vs some have icons while some have none).

Shikamon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh, I thought this post gonna have voting lol. I prefer consistency because I think it's not all of the varieties making the game better. IMO a game should have a distinct theme that represented by the artworks, music or world-building concept. Consistency will become a guideline for the resources that fit in the game.

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For resources, I'd recommend consistency over "variety" if you can maintain high quality while using consistency. If you need to dabble from multiple packs to get the quality and accuracy you're looking for, sacrificing consistency can be okay.

For mechanics, favor clarity over anything else.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd say consistency with a pinch of variety xD

Resources : consistency
Style : consistency Unless it has a place/reason in your game to be different.
Overall : consistency. What I mean with that is it should ALL tie in together en feel as 1 thing instead of a gathering of many things.

Everything else : variety :D

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My suggestion is to not worry about the overlay (default) and instead use the Visual States Plugin. I don't remember who it's from off the top of my head, but I use visual states to forego the need for icons and overlays on most states. :)

-MIA

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Consistency or variety can really be a Mix-and-Match as there are many variables to work with. The bottom line is knowing "what to mix with what" and it's generally about resources rather than game-design choices.

Consistency: Visuals
Environmental resources, such as trees, patches of grass, buildings etc. should be consistent. You can expand on the variety as long as it matches the setting and doesn't look out of place. (I've seen XP tiles enlarged and used in MV mixing with MV tiles, and it looks really unpolished and messy)
This extends to UI/Character sprites/Artstyle as visuals stand out the most. (ie. you don't want to mix Mack sprites and standard MV ones, and don't mix cartoonish blob monsters with realistically depicted medieval beasts)

Variety: Everything else when applicable
This still doesn't mean you can completely throw consistency out the window however...if you consider your example A to be "variety", it also requires consistency in its implementation so it doesn't become "that one dangerous state that somehow doesn't have a visual indicator like the rest".

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

This forum is a great source of procrastination for me.
Today I read "The mouth speaks what the heart is full of." Simple, and reminds me I have a ton of work to do.
Why are cats so darn cute when their tongues are sticking out? If I did that, it wouldn't have the same effect.
The joy when you see a notification, the down when it's just a unnecessary quote of one of your posts again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mybriguy